U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:41 PM

9,727 posts, read 16,977,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Rockaway, queens? That is not a white area anymore. It hasnt been a white area in years.
irish still live here. from 90th street down.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 03:07 PM

876 posts, read 1,227,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
irish still live here. from 90th street down.
I have been to rockaway queens many times and the only time i ever saw white people is the area which suba drivers go and those people I am pretty sure dont live there. But if you say white people live there I guess they are in hiding when I am in the area.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Status: "RIP Lucky. You were a great cat." (set 11 days ago)

2,167 posts, read 2,523,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
"I am basing my opinion on my OBSERVATIONS of NYC in 2010. I personally can not name even 1 ghetto white neighborhood comparable to Bed-stuy. morisania, east NY, etc. It doesn't exist. "

thats the result of certain particular socio-economic trends in NYC, coupled with broader national trends of decreasing white poverty since 1960. I know when I went off to Boston to college in 1977 it was easy to be taken aback by how "ghetto" white neighborhoods not only existed, but were fairly common. NYC, with its particular sets of industries, its relatively unusual mix of white immigrant groups, has been on a course towards fewer white "ghetto" nabe than other cities for a long time. Though I guess even as late as 1977 one could have found a few, with not too much looking.

Today even lower middle class white nabes in NYC re getting scare, no?
It's the case in most American cities, actually. A good example of a white neighborhood that stayed poor for a long time is south boston. but even southie is gentrifying now.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I have been to rockaway queens many times and the only time i ever saw white people is the area which suba drivers go and those people I am pretty sure dont live there. But if you say white people live there I guess they are in hiding when I am in the area.
a nickname for the west end of rockaway is the "irish riviera."

Old 08-13-2010, 04:17 PM

6,376 posts, read 10,361,404 times
Quote:
Ever been to Breezy Point ?
Breezy Point, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From wiki :
"Demographics

According to the United States Census Bureau, the community's ZIP code (11697) has the nation's highest concentration of Irish-Americans, at 60.3% as of the United States Census, 2000.[4] It functions mainly as a summer get-away for many residents of New York. Estimates put summer residency at 12,000, while year-round residency was 4337 in the most recent Census.[4]
Due to its large concentration of Irish-Americans, Breezy Point has been called the "Irish Riviera."[5]
Others within the community often refer to it as being "Cois Farraige", Gaelic for "By The Sea."
[edit]

Old 08-13-2010, 04:21 PM

15,544 posts, read 15,321,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The long term master plan is to slowly squeeze all the non working or marginally employed poor people out of the city entirely.They are being pushed( sorry,encouraged) to move to smaller cities and less expensive parts of the region.... like up the Hudson and into Pennsylvania.
Section 8 has been cut off almost entirely and the old projects and all new government sponsored housing will be geared towards working/middle class.
The process has been underway for a while already.

Newburgh is a good example of what the future holds:Fighting Violent Gangs in Newburgh, NY Liveshots
Then why did NYC projects start accepting Section 8 relatively recently if they want to squeeze them out?

Old 08-13-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Then why did NYC projects start accepting Section 8 relatively recently if they want to squeeze them out?
because NYCHA is losing money.....section 8 = guaranteed money...

Old 08-13-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Ever been to Breezy Point ?
Breezy Point, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From wiki :
"Demographics

According to the United States Census Bureau, the community's ZIP code (11697) has the nation's highest concentration of Irish-Americans, at 60.3% as of the United States Census, 2000.[4] It functions mainly as a summer get-away for many residents of New York. Estimates put summer residency at 12,000, while year-round residency was 4337 in the most recent Census.[4]
Due to its large concentration of Irish-Americans, Breezy Point has been called the "Irish Riviera."[5]
Others within the community often refer to it as being "Cois Farraige", Gaelic for "By The Sea."
[edit]
thanks for the assist bluedog. DSNYSANMAN, we have a st. paddy's day parade out here on beach 116th street every year.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:26 PM

6,376 posts, read 10,361,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
because NYCHA is losing money.....section 8 = guaranteed money...
Right,Federal money.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:29 PM

8,752 posts, read 8,679,004 times
We should also note, which is slightly off topic, but the reason why all the poor in NYC are overwhemingly hispanic/black is because they replaced all the poor whites. It's really that simple...the poor/working/middle class got the heck out and never came back...the wealthy class didnt have to go anywhere...their money shielded them from all the societal ills. If you want to see one of the few poor white neighborhoods remaining...take yourself to Edgewater Park in Throggs Neck. It is all old school Irish..trailer parks and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City