U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:15 AM

12 posts, read 45,880 times
Default Good landlords accepting HPD Section 8 in NYC - Post Now

Where are the good compassionate landlords in NYC? I know that a few still exists. Some had bad experiences but haven't we all? Please don't discriminate against Section 8 voucher holders. There remain many hard-working part-time workers looking for a decent place to live in NYC.

I want to hear from all compassionate landlords willing to try Section 8 as a mean to rent out their apartment to qualified hard-working people. Please reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 05:01 PM

8,752 posts, read 8,614,709 times
As soon as the city shows me some compassion on my real estate taxes, and JP Morgan Chase shows me compassion on my mortgage, and my contractor shows me some compassion on my renovation/repair costs, and Con-ed shows me some compassion on my electric and gas/heating bill, and the city shows me some compassion when I am trying to evict a lousy/deadbeat tenant, I, along with other landlords, will show some compassion to Section 8 tenants.

When you get all those other groups to show some compassion, I will do the same. It sucks..life ain't fair...but I want some compassion too and as a LL I certainly don't get any from anyone. Welcome to the club.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:21 PM

9,670 posts, read 16,847,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
As soon as the city shows me some compassion on my real estate taxes, and JP Morgan Chase shows me compassion on my mortgage, and my contractor shows me some compassion on my renovation/repair costs, and Con-ed shows me some compassion on my electric and gas/heating bill, and the city shows me some compassion when I am trying to evict a lousy/deadbeat tenant, I, along with other landlords, will show some compassion to Section 8 tenants.

When you get all those other groups to show some compassion, I will do the same. It sucks..life ain't fair...but I want some compassion too and as a LL I certainly don't get any from anyone. Welcome to the club.
HA! that was funny...

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-12-2010, 07:33 PM

461 posts, read 1,092,878 times
Quote:

Amen brother! I couldn't of said it better myself.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:34 PM

43 posts, read 84,461 times
Quote:

Lol that was funny...My good friend has been burned by every section 8 tenant he had so good luck finding that compassion. And I truly mean that.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinn421 View Post
Lol that was funny...My good friend has been burned by every section 8 tenant he had so good luck finding that compassion. And I truly mean that.
From experience, it is very hard to find a polite, well educated person on section 8. Many come from an underclass lifestyle that will "ghettofy" for building. I avoid them like the plague and I could care less how much their voucher is willing to pay me for rent.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:42 PM

9,670 posts, read 16,847,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
From experience, it is very hard to find a polite, well educated person on section 8. Many come from an underclass lifestyle that will "ghettofy" for building. I avoid them like the plague and I could care less how much their voucher is willing to pay me for rent.
classic case of when bad apples ruin it for everybody. i really dont blame you guys because you never know if you will make a mistake renting to an undesirable tenant.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-12-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
classic case of when bad apples ruin it for everybody. i really dont blame you guys because you never know if you will make a mistake renting to an undesirable tenant.
Good point Seventh. In a perfect business world, it a great thing that the section 8 portion of the rent is never late and never bounces BUT the deal breaker are the quality of tenants section 8 has.

If section 8 had non-ghetto, non-criminal, non-drug dealers, non-mothers with 5 kids from different "baby daddies", then I'd be first in like to rent to a section 8 tenant. BUT as we all know...that's not the case.

Section 8 offers the low of the low. And for that I say...NO THANK YOU! I'll do just fine keep renting to regular working folks who know how to act like civilized people and don't look intimidating.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:34 PM

876 posts, read 1,220,305 times
The problem with renting to section 8 people is that there is more downside then upside. If you have a bad tenant it can take 6 months to a year to get rid of them. But watch this. If you have a bad tenant on section 8 they can hurt you by causing damage to your apt and cause you not to get your money from the government until it is fixed.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:12 AM

1,247 posts, read 1,782,124 times
We have a rental apartment in our house and our first tenants were section 8--I would never do it again. Blaring music, lots of extra people living there, they brought roaches and wouldn't let the exterminator in, overflowing the bathtub and then not answering the door, complaining about the heat in winter while standing in front of us in shorts and a tank top, I could go on and on...

And it took forever to get them out and when they left they broke every light fixture, made holes in the walls. Walking in there a cockroach fell on my head. I wish I was making this up. This was a totally new apartment when they moved in and it was completely trashed and filthy beyond belief when they left. We had very little security and they owed us back rent (from their portion).

I'm sure there are great section 8 tenants, but I couldn't take the chance after what we went through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City