Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by each one help one View Post
Where are the good compassionate landlords in NYC? I know that a few still exists. Some had bad experiences but haven't we all? Please don't discriminate against Section 8 voucher holders. There remain many hard-working part-time workers looking for a decent place to live in NYC.

I want to hear from all compassionate landlords willing to try Section 8 as a mean to rent out their apartment to qualified hard-working people. Please reply
Ha Bronx Pro Real estate co Turned me Down Due to Faulty credit from a previous relation. I nurtured the 850 Jennings street Apts. from the start of its construction. many of the managment became familiar with my family and I. i waited and watched it come up being i live in an abandoned tenament a few feet away. one Management person said and I Quote "you raised 850 from a baby right?" Well you can imagine my family an I disappointment when my past had been the cause of us missing out on a decent place to live. my voucher runs out soon and I have another prospect. but I fear the same results. i cant find no help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 10:42 PM

8 posts, read 11,341 times
I didn't even think you could still get section 8 in the boroughs anymore. Hasn't that been gone for awhile?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,557 times
Default Yes

THIS IS TRUE; BUT i AM PART OF THE LAST REMNANTS OF SECTION 8 NYCHA stopped and as a holder of a physical NYCHA upon program termination, the city gave our case over to HPD section 8.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:23 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I have heard (not verified) that if a section 8 tenant does not comply with the section 8 rules, which means they don't pay their portion or purposely damage the apt, they are kicked off welfare. However, the reality is the city must find housing for these people, so if they do kick them off section 8, the city is ultimately responsible for them and will put them in some other program to sucker another landlord.

So long as the city is mandated by law to house every man/woman/child that says they are homeless, all these programs will exist and sucker Landlords over and over again. I do agree that there are some good tenants, but to me and in my experience, it is not worth all of the trouble at all. I would rather leave my apt vacant for 6 months seeking a working tenant than take a tenant on a government program...I have learned my lesson the hard way...you only get me once.
The judicial order that the city is under that mandates housing for every individual is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. I'm surprised it has not been vacated yet.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 8,698 times
you can very much get rid of a bad section8 if you suspect foul play you can act on it you are the landlord and that person will lose there voucher forever too many landlords are also comfortable with that on time federal monthly money and keep there mouths shut until its too late...

Old 01-26-2012, 12:32 PM

section 8 is not welfare by any means...i happen to be on the section 8 program and waited 10 years to get it and i have never had a problem with any of my landlords and the thing is that i feel that the program makes us just as accountable as the landlord we tear up your property we have to pay we owe money we have to pay and landlords if you feel that bad about section 8 please screen your section 8 tenants like non section 8 tenants and character do any of you landlords look at that or just the fact that your money is coming faithfully from your federal government so you just rent because you have debt as well...so please stop judging us and judge yourself!!!

Old 01-26-2012, 12:49 PM

not all section 8 tenants are bad there are just landlords with bad judgement and i have never had a problem with any of my landlords because they treated me as if i was a non-section 8 tenant i was screened had to show proof of employment as well and had to provide character refs also...thats how you weed out the ghettoness!! because if a ghetto broad feels like she has to do all of that work to get that apartment nine times out of ten she won't come back!!! HENCE MYSELF A HARDWORKING SECTION 8 VOUCHER HOLDER!!!! never been evicted always kept a job and to tell the truth my apartments were nicer than some of my landlords houses!!!! so you can feel whatever way you want about some of these tenants but Iam only speaking for those who don't plan on staying on section for the rest of there life!!!! #Ido this for my children and no i don't have no baby daddies!! huh just divorced pressing forward!!!!

Old 01-26-2012, 01:02 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosperity32 View Post
section 8 is not welfare by any means...i happen to be on the section 8 program and waited 10 years to get it and i have never had a problem with any of my landlords and the thing is that i feel that the program makes us just as accountable as the landlord we tear up your property we have to pay we owe money we have to pay and landlords if you feel that bad about section 8 please screen your section 8 tenants like non section 8 tenants and character do any of you landlords look at that or just the fact that your money is coming faithfully from your federal government so you just rent because you have debt as well...so please stop judging us and judge yourself!!!

Oh please, from my experience as a landlord in the Bronx, just about every prospective Section 8 tenant that inquired about one of my apartments were GHETTO TRASH people that I would NEVER in a million years rent to! Uneducated and raising ghetto teenagers. I can see all my years of hard work in transforming my building into a desirable apartment complex going to waste by renting to one of these ghetto folks. Did it in the past and regret it ever since.

And guess what's the #1 thing these people always mention when calling to TRY to convince me to rent to them? "Don't worry, your rent is guaranteed to be paid by the government on time, all the time, you know what I'm sayin'?"

Yeah, as if I'm dumb enough or desperate enough to fall for that line. I run a respectable, quiet and peaceful building, not the projects. And I intend to keep it that way. So no thank you Ms. Section 8 lady.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
I know many hard working ppl with section 8 voucher who are not "ghetto" at all. For example a 53 year old man who works as a mainteance guy for the MTA he is single and have no children. Everybody likes him in the community.

Low salary do not necessary equal ghetto thash.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
A compassionate landlord? Might as well look for a kind, consciencious serial killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery