Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:37 PM

242 posts, read 1,182,467 times

Advertisements

I cant even imagine how hard it would be to get a decent paying job here right now with no college education. If he is dead set on this plan this is what I would suggest- He could sublet a place for the summer after he graduates and experience everything firsthand. After a few months if he is employed and doing well, perhaps he could consider a one year lease. But my bet is he would be heading right back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 01:32 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,568,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Although I am native, I got a job at NYU as a secretary at 17 out of HS, moved out my parents apt., and went to college at NYU (free to employees) at night. I rented a sublet studio (rent control then) within walking distance to NYU on Sullivan St.

This was a very long time ago. I don't know if it can be done today however.
Uh, no, probably not. 20 years ago maybe. Many older people here would be absolutely over a barrel if they weren't already embedded into their situations they worked their ways into a long time ago.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:51 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,568,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Have him consider getting an internship in NYC, and spending a summer or two in the city during his college career. It can help make the transition easier when he does arrive, preferably with a degree, for his sake.
I agree this would be the best way to go about it. Practical work experience with an actual company in the area.

Show up in any major city with a typical college degree, but no experience or connections, and you're going to be waiting tables for awhile, unless you're very lucky in some way.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 8,890 times
Unfortunately he has a friend whose grandfather owns and may rent them an apartment for "cheap". I already did the budget exercise, but he remains undeterred saying his friend's family will also help him to get a job. I'm just the "step" so I'm gently trying to get him to research his options and understand the incredible value of a college degree without $100,000 of student loans. You are all giving me great insight, Thanks.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:37 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,323,735 times
True, but you could still have an ace if the grandfather rents at a "cheap" price for NYC, since it can be pricey, even in an outer borough, with a family connection. And, if he saves on the rent, it's the living costs that will cause problems, especially on a low salary. The other issue is if he does get a job through this family, how is he going to work full-time, and have a reasonable plan to go to school? The financial pressures of life can take their toll on many who look at the city through idealized world views.

And, for how long is the grandfather going to subsidize the rent? If it's for a year or two, and then reality kicks in, it will be a difficult lesson to learn, even splitting expenses with roommates.

Another way to think about college would be to ask him to go to school in California, at first, and then, if he still wants to relocate to NYC, knowing the budget pressures, he should transfer to another four-year-school. You could also suggest that he go to school in the summers, too, to get ahead, and perhaps graduate early, if relocating to NYC is a goal.

Look at a salary calculator, such as PaycheckCity.com, for an accurate comparison of his supposed non-college income, and a good gauge for a college-educated income.

Unfortunately, he's envisioning living in a tower in Manhattan, or a converted loft with his friends, and the reality will be a cramped walk-up in an outer borough, perhaps far from transportation, where he needs to be on good terms for his survival with the friend's family. God forbid there's a disagreement between them, which would never happen with young men in an apartment , since it could cause more problems than in a friendship where one is not reliant upon their family for subsidized living/employment.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-13-2010, 12:28 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,928,047 times
if you can get him to stay, do it. but he's 18 so there may not be much you can do other than welcome him back in a couple of years when it doesn't work out as expected

Old 08-13-2010, 01:10 PM

467 posts, read 1,863,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Show up in any major city with a typical college degree, but no experience or connections, and you're going to be waiting tables for awhile, unless you're very lucky in some way.
No, he won't even be waiting tables. He'd be lucky to get a job washing dishes (but mostly Spanish-speaking guys dominate that). Getting waiting jobs in NYC is quite tough for out of towners because everyone requires "NYC experience," which has always mythed me because how the heck do you get any of said experience without someone giving you a shot (best bet is to have out of town waiting experience and try to prove yourself that way, or even lie about it ). I can think of a few jobs where an 18 year old might have a shot (dog walking or dog daycare, for example) and he'd be making no more than $10 an hour, but he'd have to be a mature 18 year old.

Also, as bmwguydc suggested, have him go to school year round. I got my BA in 2 years of full-time, year-round study, plus one fall and one winter semester of taking only one course each, plus taking 4 or 5 (can't even remember now) CLEP tests. So if he starts this winter semester, because it seems like he might have missed the boat for the fall, he could be graduated by May 2013. Not too far off, really, and as someone brilliantly said, NYC isn't going anywhere!

Old 08-13-2010, 02:31 PM

369 posts, read 774,228 times
Tell him NYC isn't going anywhere. He should definitely go through his free college in California, hopefully in four years when he graduates,the economy will be in a better place and with a college degree in hand he should be much more competitive in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City