Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 8,909 times

Advertisements

My 18-year old wants to give up free college in CA to move to NYC with a HS degree. He thinks that he will be able to share an apartment with two similar-aged friends, find a job and live for a year before entering community college with the hope of gaining scholarship money. From there he hopes to work and go to school. I am concerned, any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 11:35 AM
grant516

n/a posts
I'm going to stay away from the housing debate angle of this.

However your son would be crazy to give up going to school in California.
If he has the grades for it, California entitles him to the best public University system this country, and quite possibly the world.

Remind him that college is a challenge, and if he wants to move to a more urban/hip environment he can take on UCLA, UCSD- or if the grades aren't quiet there SF State, or CSULB.

His chances of survival in New York would be much greater with a college degree and near-to-no-debt, something he would stand almost no chance of gaining in 4 years is New York.

Alternatively, if he wishes to live in California for his life, and figures college is his 4 year escape from that to try something different... take a trip out first and make sure he is enrolled in school -ASAP-.
It may be tough (though not impossible) for Fall if you act soon enough.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:49 AM

128 posts, read 540,762 times
It seems like a big risky move that requires so many of his ideas, plans and expectations to fall into place to make him reach his goal. Im sure there will be some people who thinks if thats his dream then he should chase after it and let nothing stop him but speaking realistically in these economic times where jobs are hard to come by, I would say this is not the best idea. Passing up on "free college" to move to NYC is something I may have done when I was his age right out of HS but now that ive been there done that and now that im in over 100K student loan debt I would much rather not have done half the stupid things that ive done as a kid. But then again, if this free college will still be available for after a year then I guess he can always move back home if things dont work out for him in NYC.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:59 AM

177 posts, read 416,126 times
Unless he's Extraordinarily responsible,capable,sharp,focused,uninfluenced by all negative temptations for an 18 year old without a parent nearby,street savvy,wise beyond his years and incredibly smart,he is not going to be okay in New York City alone without an education beyond high school.

Last edited by nyfreesia; 08-12-2010 at 12:17 PM..

Old 08-12-2010, 12:11 PM

615 posts, read 1,675,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otesia View Post
My 18-year old wants to give up free college in CA to move to NYC with a HS degree. He thinks that he will be able to share an apartment with two similar-aged friends, find a job and live for a year before entering community college with the hope of gaining scholarship money. From there he hopes to work and go to school. I am concerned, any advice?
To be 18 again..............

NYC is not an easy place to survive w/o a formal education, and knowing the "ropes" here. What type of job(s) could they secure with a high school diploma (that is going to support them/the cost of living here)? i.e. rent ($$$$), utilities, food, clothing, entertainment, etc......

It's not going to be easy.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:36 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,030,696 times
Oh, the folly of youth!

Tell him to take the free college, then move to NYC. The job market here still sucks. He doesn't have skills or education, so if he finds one, it'll most likely be minimum wage. I wish I could have gotten free college. I have a fortune owed in student loans and no job since January of 2009. Tell him that.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:45 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,261 times
Having lived here my whole life, please do not let him do this. He will almost assuredly crash and burn. It may be a good life lesson for him but at what expense? Time wasted and his spirits damaged by what I see as very possible total failure and having to come home with his tail between his legs. NY is a tough place.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:12 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,586,340 times
Obviously the smart thing to do for him would be to get as good an education as possible for as cheaply as possible (leaving him with as little debt as possible). I would tell him you're not co-signing for any school loans if he want to put on his big-boy britches and do it his way.

That said, he's 18 and frankly, probably just wants to go party for a year away from mom and dad and then think about college after he has his residency. I don't see how he'll be able to support himself well enough with only a HS diploma all the way across the country in a strange city, and then expect himself to focus on school. It's been done I'm sure, but it's such an uphill battle that the vast majority of people wont have the moxie (or luck) to pull it off. Just keep in mind that he's an adult now and you're under no further obligation to help finance choices of his you don't fully agree with. Advise him to do the smart thing and try New York when he's 22 and done with college...or better yet has a little work experience on top of that.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:27 PM

203 posts, read 664,591 times
When you say free college in CA, do you mean free because you are willing to pay for that he got scholarships?
In ancyase, he should definitely not pass up free college degree. A HS degree in NYC is pretty worthless...won't get much jobs here. He's only 18, theres no rush to come to NYC, there is plenty of time after a college education. Plus I really don't know how good the odds of getting scholarship money is by going to a community college here...

Old 08-12-2010, 02:34 PM

3 posts, read 8,909 times
He is currently a CA resident so is eligible for very generous college funding through the state. We want him to get his degree in CA, but he is determined to go to NYC because he loves it there. Personally, I have had to work in lesser jobs my entire career because I did not finish my college degree and I know the consequences. We are trying to convince him to stay in CA otherwise he will lose his residency and the opportunity for those scholarships completely. Thanks for all of your comments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City