Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:24 PM

118 posts, read 443,509 times

Advertisements

I have called 311 about a half dozen times now in the past month due to noise problems I've been having with my neighbors. They party outside of my building all hours, playing insanely loud Dominican music. Last night the music blared past 3:30 in the morning, so loud I could literally feel the walls reverberating. People drunk yelling, etc. And it just seems like no matter how much I complain, nothing is going to be done to correct the problem. By the way, if you are curious as to the area, it's 134th between Broadway and Amsterdam. Is it just that no one cares, or that they do take action but it proves ineffective and useless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 06:28 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,398,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemNewbie View Post
I have called 311 about a half dozen times now in the past month due to noise problems I've been having with my neighbors. They party outside of my building all hours, playing insanely loud Dominican music. Last night the music blared past 3:30 in the morning, so loud I could literally feel the walls reverberating. People drunk yelling, etc. And it just seems like no matter how much I complain, nothing is going to be done to correct the problem. By the way, if you are curious as to the area, it's 134th between Broadway and Amsterdam. Is it just that no one cares, or that they do take action but it proves ineffective and useless?

lmaoo i am not suprised this stuff happens in a lot of dominican/west indian hood around the city. we love our music to much. but i understand what your going through. but with all honesty cops in nyc really are annoyed with the phone complaints about music in those type of areas and they also know the people never listen to them so they never bother showing up.

i knew someone in flatbush who had the similar problem so she gave up on the cops and just dealt with it lol.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:35 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
That's life in that kind of neighborhood.Street parties in Summer are just part of the scene.Police are reticent to break up ghetto street parties because there's usually a lot of alcohol around and things can get real ugly real fast.Doubt the cops will do anything until there are shots fired or someone gets stabbed.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:29 PM

agreed with bluedog

Old 08-15-2010, 08:40 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,573 times
Get your neighbors together and complain at your community board meetings. Things will change if there is community pressure.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
Get your neighbors together and complain at your community board meetings. Things will change if there is community pressure.
lmao did you not see the community she lives in?? im willing to bet most of her neighbors are dominicans and really do not mind the noise.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:22 AM

979 posts, read 4,455,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
lmao did you not see the community she lives in?? im willing to bet most of her neighbors are dominicans and really do not mind the noise.
Seroiusly? Are you saying that people who are hard working and have children going to school have no problem staying up all night listening to drunken parties on the street because they are Dominicans?

Besides what UpsonDowns says you might have to go to the precinct and talk to someone directly regarding what is being done about noise complaints. Take a witness and get an actual phone number.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:03 AM

49 posts, read 107,624 times
Really there is nothing you can do about it. It will quiet down when the weather gets cold. When you live in a cheap neighborhood these are the things you put up with.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:41 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
Actually, I had a conversation yesterday with a friend who lives in Inwood and she was telling me how she and her Dominican neighbors got together to successfully fight the noise coming from the clubs in their neighborhood.

As the pp said, hardworking people of all colors appreciate peace and quiet also.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:04 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
It has nothing to do with race or ethnicity.
It has to do with whether there is a ghetto culture on the block or in the neighborhood.If there is an established ghetto culture in a neighborhood or on a block and you don't want to participate then you either don't move in in the first place or you move out.
That's why seasoned NY'ers always check out neighborhoods and blocks at various times of day and night and days of the week before renting.
It is also why some of us laugh when we hear about certain neighborhoods gentrifying when we know it's not really true .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City