Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 10:13 PM

10 posts, read 19,644 times

Advertisements

I moved to NYC about 5 months ago and I like it here quite a bit. One thing I've noticed and that I've found so strange was the severe lack of any enforcement of traffic laws. Walk down any avenue in Manhattan and you'll see cabbies cut people off, force their way into crowded crosswalks, run red lights, double park and block a traffic lane or bus stop, etc. Yet I have not once seen a police officer pull anyone over and issue a citation. This happens in Brooklyn, too. In my neighborhood people haul ass down residential streets and hold up traffic to holla at their friends on the sidewalk. Whats with the NYPD? Why do they turn a blind eye? Are they too busy with everything else? It seems like they're ignoring a good source of revenue. Regardless, it makes me happy that I don't bear the burden of having to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 10:30 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,075 times
They seem to be more active in rich neighborhoods though. I think I read that they give more parking tickets in the Upper West Side compare to other neighborhoods. I also have gotten two tickets driving in Manhattan in less than 3 years. Once cause I made a turn to go into a cross street in Central Park and they have a sign with times when you can turn into it or some crap like that. The second one I was coming out of a carwash and as I was putting my seatbelt on, they stop me because I had just come out of the carwash without my seat belt on. They say I was putting it on cause I saw them! Manhattan is the worse place to drive. I guess I have had a bad experience with the cops.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:38 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,926 times
Welcome to Zoo York.
Enjoy your stay.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:55 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevateMeLater View Post
I moved to NYC about 5 months ago and I like it here quite a bit. One thing I've noticed and that I've found so strange was the severe lack of any enforcement of traffic laws. Walk down any avenue in Manhattan and you'll see cabbies cut people off, force their way into crowded crosswalks, run red lights, double park and block a traffic lane or bus stop, etc. Yet I have not once seen a police officer pull anyone over and issue a citation. This happens in Brooklyn, too. In my neighborhood people haul ass down residential streets and hold up traffic to holla at their friends on the sidewalk. Whats with the NYPD? Why do they turn a blind eye? Are they too busy with everything else? It seems like they're ignoring a good source of revenue. Regardless, it makes me happy that I don't bear the burden of having to drive.
That's the jungle for you! And another reason why I hate being in a car during rush hour. In all boroughs the cops seem to go blind with traffic (because their doing the same thing, driving reckless). But never underestimate them the traffic agents will hand you a ticket in a heartbeat (if you're late with the meter or something )

How about the Brooklyn bridge (coming from the FDR) at around 1:30am? Smh rush hour have no set times here.

Other then the yellow cabs, every one hates, I'm sure you'll get pass it like the rest of us! Welcome and enjoy the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City