Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:55 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,464,976 times

Advertisements

I am tenant in a two family house. I just got a call from my downstairs neighbor who told me that sanitation left a summons (in my landlord's name) on the door.

Apparently, they opened a garbage bag that was put outside this morning and saw a piece of paper with my boyfriend's name on it. I don't know what the problem was with the garbage, I haven't actually seen the summons yet.

I am so . Apparently the fine is for $100. I told my boss (who is an attorney) about it and he wants to look at the summons.

My grandmother who is 88 years old and has been living in the same house for over 60 years just received one a month or so ago too. She never had a problem before.

Is the city this broke that they are going around doing this more often now?? I have been on my own for over 10 years and never had a problem like this.

Has anyone had an experience like this before?? What do I have to do to rectify it? Do I just send in the $100 and that's it, or is this more involved?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 12:04 PM

316 posts, read 986,366 times
I'm no fancy-pants big-city lawyer, but I think you have to actually read the summons in order to understand how to rectify.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:53 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,575,912 times
Without seeing the ticket, I'll venture a guess its a recycling ticket.

NYCWasteLess: What to Recycle with Sanitation
DSNY Info (http://www.tudorvillage.com/dsny.htm - broken link)
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dsny/downloa...est/digest.pdf

Old 08-18-2010, 03:42 PM

116 posts, read 352,377 times
I'm betting Neil is right. Before I sold my house in Brooklyn, there was a zealous sanitation woman who would come by after people had put their garbage at the curb (therby surrendering their right to call it private property) and go thru the bags, looking for improperly disposed of recyclables.

I received two sanitation tickets in the two years she worked my block. One was for inadquately cleaning 18 inches into the street after a rainstorm. I fought that ticket based on a car being parked in such a way that I couldn't sweep. (I brought pictures)

The other was absolutely insane. The city had done work on my block for a year, replacing the electric and gas lines. When they finally picked up and left, they left a huge mound (3 foot hill) of dirt on my sidewalk. I called 311 to try and get it to removed. Within 3 days, Sanitation showed up and ticketed me because :::drumroll::: there had been a complaint about dirt on my property.

I fought and won on both tickets, by going down to ECB on a hearing date and pleading my case with an admin law judge. In both cases, it took over 2 years to receive a disposition on them.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:36 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,464,976 times
Just got home and notice is for leaving my garbage bag out too early!! They pick up tomorrow morning but we weren't going to be home tonight so we put it out this morning. The notice states: "At T/P/O I did observe one 20 gallon plastic bag placed out on a public sidewalk on a non-collection day". Seriously?!? I've done this before, never had a problem.

I am just going to pay it, I'm just dreading having to tell my landlord! :/

If I pay the fine, I don't have to appear at the hearing, do I?

I swear, I hate this city more and more by the day.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:47 PM

876 posts, read 2,136,579 times
What is wrong with following the rules. You need to recycle. It is good for the ecomony of the city and the environment. It cost more for the city to sent garabage to a land fill then to recycle it. I make sure I recyle everything that can be recycled it is a little more work but its worth it.

By the way stirophome is garabage. I dont understand how people think it is recyclable. They put it in bags with paper. Does stirophome look anything like paper?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:53 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,912,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
What is wrong with following the rules. You need to recycle. It is good for the ecomony of the city and the environment. It cost more for the city to sent garabage to a land fill then to recycle it. I make sure I recyle everything that can be recycled it is a little more work but its worth it.

By the way stirophome is garabage. I dont understand how people think it is recyclable. They put it in bags with paper. Does stirophome look anything like paper?

Styrofoam???? But anyways, thanks for the tip.. I always get confused on where that stuff belongs!

Old 05-17-2011, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 16,666 times
It sounds like they found your garbage inn a Dante basket and issued you a summons for it

Old 05-17-2011, 06:28 PM

518 posts, read 1,574,317 times
Recently we had a Sanitation cop try to ticket us because although we folded down about a dozen cardboard boxes, we didn't tie them up, but placed them neatly in one large box. My brother, who is a 10 yr sanitation guy sez he sees that everyday, and as long as it doesn't collapse or otherwise make a mess/is a problem getting it into the hopper, its not a problem.

Problem is, it IS a problem if you are a sanitation cop looking to write tickets. Luckily the lady allowed me to take the whole box indoors before she had time to write the ticket - I could understand if it was messy or flying around, but im pretty neat. Meh - follow the rules - cant get in trouble that way.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:03 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,568,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Just got home and notice is for leaving my garbage bag out too early!! They pick up tomorrow morning but we weren't going to be home tonight so we put it out this morning. The notice states: "At T/P/O I did observe one 20 gallon plastic bag placed out on a public sidewalk on a non-collection day". Seriously?!? I've done this before, never had a problem.

I am just going to pay it, I'm just dreading having to tell my landlord! :/

If I pay the fine, I don't have to appear at the hearing, do I?

I swear, I hate this city more and more by the day.
wow i've never heard of that citation but i guess the fne is so high so that you'll remember it and not make the same mistake twice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City