U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-25-2010, 08:32 AM
 
Location: NJ
1,408 posts, read 2,920,134 times
Reputation: 1486

Advertisements

Im going to a concert in October at nassau coliseum and im coming from jersey. i will be taking a train from matawan to ny penn station. can i get the lirr from there? and which train is it?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2010, 08:50 AM
 
459 posts, read 1,260,023 times
Reputation: 279
One of the many mind-bogglingly stupid things about the Nassau Colesium -- and for that matter the vast majority of the government buildings, office towers, shopping areas, etc. throughout Long Island -- is that it is not easily accessible by LIRR. Take the LIRR to Hemstead. You can either get a taxi for 10 minute cab ride (though I am not sure how easy that is on the return trip) or walk a block to a bus stop. Don't know if it still runs, but many years ago I would hop a ride on a (free!) Hofstra University shuttle from Hempstead that would get you very near to the Collesium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 AM
 
343 posts, read 895,661 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
One of the many mind-bogglingly stupid things about the Nassau Colesium -- and for that matter the vast majority of the government buildings, office towers, shopping areas, etc. throughout Long Island -- is that it is not easily accessible by LIRR. Take the LIRR to Hemstead. You can either get a taxi for 10 minute cab ride (though I am not sure how easy that is on the return trip) or walk a block to a bus stop. Don't know if it still runs, but many years ago I would hop a ride on a (free!) Hofstra University shuttle from Hempstead that would get you very near to the Collesium.
LIRR to Hempstead. Connect with N6 bus to the Coliseum there. Or you can take the NJT Train into the city, hop on the (F) Subway at 34th street to 179th Street then the N6.

The N6 runs all night and will be your best option, as there will be a million people trying to catch a cab at the end of the show to the train stations.

Prepare for a Long Trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 10:27 AM
 
Location: NJ
1,408 posts, read 2,920,134 times
Reputation: 1486
oh thank you, the sucky part of all this is that i have to do all again the next day very early around 7am to get a train to newark to the prudential center. which is much easier than the ny show. but its so worth it as this is my favorite band in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2010, 04:12 PM
 
4,891 posts, read 8,976,550 times
Reputation: 8366
Who's playing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2010, 05:15 PM
 
Location: North shore, Long Island
1,919 posts, read 4,800,138 times
Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
LIRR to Hempstead. Connect with N6 bus to the Coliseum there. Or you can take the NJT Train into the city, hop on the (F) Subway at 34th street to 179th Street then the N6.

The N6 runs all night and will be your best option, as there will be a million people trying to catch a cab at the end of the show to the train stations.

Prepare for a Long Trip.

When did the N6 start going out to Uniondale? Its eastern terminus is Hempstead. The N70/72 travels to Uniondale into the NC. You're better off taking a taxi for about 8 bucks. The MTA want to end ties with LIbus and is making cuts with much of the service. You can't even get to Jones Beach by bus any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2010, 12:05 PM
 
556 posts, read 1,246,953 times
Reputation: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
When did the N6 start going out to Uniondale? Its eastern terminus is Hempstead. The N70/72 travels to Uniondale into the NC. You're better off taking a taxi for about 8 bucks. The MTA want to end ties with LIbus and is making cuts with much of the service. You can't even get to Jones Beach by bus any longer.
i still see the N88 schedule up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2010, 07:03 PM
 
244 posts, read 577,014 times
Reputation: 230
I way I used to go to Nassau Coliseum was by walking through
Salisbury Park (now called eisenhower park I think).
We could have used the sidewalk along Hempstead Turnpike,
but we usually were drinking beer on the way.
We usually snuck beers into the Coliseum too.
But this was from around 1976 to 1980. Those were some good times.

So if you live in East Meadow, this is the best way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top