Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 23,937 times

Advertisements

I'm a new graduate majored in accounting from Nevada....well now that I'm done with my degree, I'm ready to move out of here...Is it hard to get an entry level accounting position in NYC right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 08:08 AM

541 posts, read 1,902,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynndah87 View Post
I'm a new graduate majored in accounting from Nevada....well now that I'm done with my degree, I'm ready to move out of here...Is it hard to get an entry level accounting position in NYC right now?
To get a job with a big 4 or large middle market firm....in word yes/impossible. All of these firms recruit for entry level positions from selected schools. They generally don't accept cold call resumes for entry level unless you were recommended by someone in that firm. I'm sure you could find a temp. job fairly easy.

My suggestion would be to find a job in Las Vegas, work there for a couple years to build up your resume, then look into maybe finding a job in NY. It'll be a lot easier with a couple years under your belt.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:34 AM

988 posts, read 3,253,780 times
Yes, try to get on with the big 4 in any other city and then transfer to NYC in 2 years. Also, I would recommend you getting your CPA ASAP when you're still fresh. My wife did it 8 years after she graduated and it was tough because she had to refresh all of the material. You'll be hard-pressed to find an Accounting job in NYC, without a degree from a top or local school, without a CPA, or without connections.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:24 AM

If he has already graduated, then he probably won't be able to find a Big 4 job or other large firm in any city. In pretty much any city the big 4 pick up their entry level people by recruiting straight from school. He'll have a better shot at being picked up by a local or smaller regional firm.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:38 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,001 times
Don't listen to anybody who says it's impossible to find an entry level accounting job in NYC. Forget the big four. There are tons of accounting and other firms in NYC. If not in NYC, where else would you get an accounting job? Of course, CPA designation would help.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:41 PM

Ok, while not impossible it is not probable to find an entry level position at any accounting firm be it big four, middle market or regional/local firm. Most of these firms if they take entry level positions at all recruit these positions directly from school. What he/she can find is a temp job where they will be a book keeper or accounts payable/receivable clerk. Which any of those jobs can be performed by someone who has an associates or even in some cases a mere certificate in accounting. Meaning tha if the OP has a BS in Accounting then a temp job is below them in the qualifications sense of the word.

At best the OP could hope for an opening within a smaller regional/local firm, but they can expect to get paid 25-30% less than what the big 4 or larger middle market firm pays. I should also mention the big four and middle market firms aren't exactly known as having high salaries anyways (short of Partner). Of course the obstacle with the smaller regional/local firm is that a good number of these firms don't take true entry level hires; meaning they typically hire someone who has either a graduate degree or has the CPA with some experience at a larger firm.

The OP might have a chance signing on with a bank in their internal audit department, but again the problem here is much the same as with the smaller accounting firms in the sense that they don't always hire true entry level candidates.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:31 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,261 times
Yes, it is hard- especially if you're in Nevada. I'm currently in Florida trying to find a job in accounting/finance in NYC. I am by no means looking for an entry level job, but it is still very tough. I already have an MBA and am half way done with CPA exam, and have over 6 years experience. The problem is you are competing for jobs against people that went to some of the top business schools in the country- right in NYC. In a normal economy, those people would be going for higher paying jobs. But since there aren't as many jobs as there used to be, they are settling for less.

Employers are being much more demanding right now because they can be. Do you have any experience at all? If you really want to make the move, do not be picky. Look for jobs in NJ and CT as well as NY. Don't restrict yourself to jobs in Manhattan. Also, be prepared to take a very low level job- such as A/P, payroll, etc. Familiarize yourself with common software used by small business, such as Excel and QuickBooks. Look at finance, other business roles, etc as well.

Also, realize that you will likely have to pay for your own flights for interviews- especially in an entry level position. Be ready to go right away if you are offered a job and make sure employers know that you are ready. In the meantime, start studying for the CPA exam. Good luck!

Old 10-25-2010, 12:18 AM

413 posts, read 1,164,635 times
Ernst & Young in the DC area starts out at $50k-$55k; pretty low considering how it's a Big 4.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 16,748 times
Default Moving back to New York

I also need some advice. I moved out of New York several years ago. I have a degree in Accounting and MBA. Now, I want to move back to New York badly. I miss the City. I actually had my 1st degree from one of the NY city local universities with great reputation.

How is the job market in NY for seasoned and experienced Accountant like myself? How easy is it to get a job in NY as an out-of-state applicant? What steps would you guys recommend in getting a job as an out-of-state candidate?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:53 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
To get a job with a big 4 or large middle market firm....in word yes/impossible. All of these firms recruit for entry level positions from selected schools. They generally don't accept cold call resumes for entry level unless you were recommended by someone in that firm. I'm sure you could find a temp. job fairly easy.

My suggestion would be to find a job in Las Vegas, work there for a couple years to build up your resume, then look into maybe finding a job in NY. It'll be a lot easier with a couple years under your belt.
Don't temp.

You're a recent grad. Spend time looking for a job on your own. Moreover crap load of part-time/ accounting positions in NYC. Some are unpaid most are not. Dig down and search for those seasonal gigs. If after the second hiring season you don't get anything fine temp it is.

Warning

Temping has too many cons. If Big 4 is your goal make sure you DO NOT temp at a big 4 firm. I repeat DO NOT TEMP AT A BIG 4.

You can look it up but once you temp for a firm you never get hired period. No company wants to pay you AND a finders fee. Businesses are retrenching not growing. Every penny counts. The reason temp exists is because corporations want to reduce costs and not give you benefits which are expensive. Most people working at these companies know it's BS, but it is what it is. Anyway, if you can get a private gig early on you'll be better off imo. I'll say this as well, most hiring managers are seasoned old timers and hate temps. The stereotypes of temps back in their days are still stuck in their head. They are not going to hire a worker who they think is uninterested, lazy, poor work ethic, only knows administrative stuff. There are success stories, but highly inflated/ misleading. Remember unemployment decreased earlier this year because 2 million more "jobs" were added. Presently, unemployment increased. Want to know why? Majority of those 2 million jobs were temps. Connect the dots. Companies DON'T hire temps.

This **** you wont hear the government or Obama say cause everyone in this circus know it's just bad.

Last edited by MilksFavoriteCookie; 04-24-2013 at 08:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City