Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 07:34 AM

340 posts, read 1,185,639 times

Advertisements

Anyone know any spots to get mofongo in greenpoint? im stuck working in this neighborhood and 80% of the food is polish which by the looks and names of it i dont ever plan on eating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 09:11 AM

483 posts, read 870,212 times
Lo siento. In order to find some mofongo, you have to take G train during lunch to Myrtle-Willoughby Avenues station and find a couple Dominican spots on Myrtle Ave. near Marcy projects. Good luck...

Old 08-27-2010, 09:14 AM

340 posts, read 1,185,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernski View Post
Lo siento. In order to find some mofongo, you have to take G train during lunch to Myrtle-Willoughby Avenues station and find a couple Dominican spots on Myrtle Ave. near Marcy projects. Good luck...

i thought there was hispanic people that lived on manhattan ave north of greenpoint ave?????? so i figured there would be at least one spot over here!!

Old 08-28-2010, 08:30 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,038 times
you could go a little further and go to sunset park. that's basically a Latino enclave in Brooklyn. Or maybe Williamsburg which isn't so far from where you're at. there's a Latin part and I'm sure you'll find some nice mofongo there. good luck.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:50 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 171StNickAllDay View Post
Anyone know any spots to get mofongo in greenpoint? im stuck working in this neighborhood and 80% of the food is polish which by the looks and names of it i dont ever plan on eating!

First, I'm not knocking Mofongo, I love the stuff. I'm Polish grew up on Polish food and dishes like stuffed cabbage and pierogies are amazing. You really should try them. Their names and looks are far more appealing than the African-Spanish fusion dish of Mofongo. It sounds and looks like mush. It was only after getting a bite from my friend's plate did I realize how delicious it tasted. Open up your mind and palate and try some Polish food. You will love it.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:30 AM

542 posts, read 1,478,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
First, I'm not knocking Mofongo, I love the stuff. I'm Polish grew up on Polish food and dishes like stuffed cabbage and pierogies are amazing. You really should try them. Their names and looks are far more appealing than the African-Spanish fusion dish of Mofongo. It sounds and looks like mush. It was only after getting a bite from my friend's plate did I realize how delicious it tasted. Open up your mind and palate and try some Polish food. You will love it.
I agree with this post! When I first moved to Seattle years ago, I worked at a Polish restaurant--so much food I had never tried. I LOVE pierogies (with sour cream on top, yumm!)! It may look bland, but don't knock it until you try it!

Old 08-29-2010, 06:32 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,703 times
Yeah, I wouldn't knock Polish food. It's not something you can eat every day (it's often very filling), but a lot of it is delicious - and cheap. Try it. Seriously.

That said, if you go to Williamsburg south of Grand Street, you can probably find some mofongo, though I'm not terribly familiar with the dish. You can definitely find some good Latin dishes down there. That's probably the nearest spot to Greenpoint. BTW, Sunset Park is pretty far from Greenpoint, and the G doesn't go there, so I don't know if that's such a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City