U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-29-2010, 09:53 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 3,931,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
First off I dont know why that poster even bothered to mention the path. New yorkers dont use the path and no little about it to begin with

Second of all the nyc subway system is leaps and bounds better than any system in the united states and one of the best,if not the best in the world so if thats an embarrassment than sign me up for the insane asylum

Third off. If your system charges pay for distance and doesnt have a flat rate-its not better than nycs system

If your system doesnt have train to bus-bus to train transfers-than your system isnt better than nycs system

If you cant catch a train or bus whether if its 3pm or 3am-than your system isnt better than nycs system. Its just that simple

That goes for all systems in the States and all systems around the world
c/s everything said in the above post.

ppl need to stop complaining about nothing. don't take the subway for granted.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 09:57 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 3,931,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
The PATH is a bi-state subway/railroad, it's not just a NJ system. How it's considerably cleaner than the NYC Subway says something about the latter (both are old & open 24/7 btw). Parsons & Archer is one of the youngest stations (opened in 1988 I believe) yet it's one of the ugliest, dirtiest, & darkest I've ever seen.

I think the NYC Subway can benefit from closing for a few hours, it works for just about every other system (including London, Tokyo, etc.), the NYC Subway just looks tired. Even if they just throw bleach everywhere.

@KONY: Would that even work though? Transfers expire after 2 hours. My commute is over an hour one way alone and it's all in Eastern Queens.
the path is in no way nearly as used by ppl as the nyc subway so its not a fair comparison. there also aren't many lines, stations, etc. so again, its not a fair comparison.

its very difficult to clean the subway system when it runs 24 hours a day. it takes money and time that we apparently don't have. for what it is, its the best system in the country and definitely one of the best (IMO THEE best) in the world.

parsons and archer isn't that dirty IMO. parsons blvd is much worse. parsons and archer is relatively clean. i'll give you the fact that its dim but its been that way since i can remember it and i remember when it first opened.
i was young tho, lol.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:24 PM

1,919 posts, read 2,867,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
The PATH is a bi-state subway/railroad, it's not just a NJ system. How it's considerably cleaner than the NYC Subway says something about the latter (both are old & open 24/7 btw). Parsons & Archer is one of the youngest stations (opened in 1988 I believe) yet it's one of the ugliest, dirtiest, & darkest I've ever seen.

I think the NYC Subway can benefit from closing for a few hours, it works for just about every other system (including London, Tokyo, etc.), the NYC Subway just looks tired. Even if they just throw bleach everywhere.

@KONY: Would that even work though? Transfers expire after 2 hours. My commute is over an hour one way alone and it's all in Eastern Queens.

I had no cash, only credit cards and a metro card with $2.25 on it. I left Elder station on the 6 line, transfered to the E at 51 st. took that to Jamaica center where I picked up the N4, which is LIbus part of the MTA the metro caed said 1 tfers ok, made it to Freeport where I caught the N19 and the metrocard again approved the transfer. I made it to Babylon in just over 3 hours and waited less than 5 minutes for each of my transfers. That's a good system.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:08 AM

12,283 posts, read 12,309,202 times
The NYC Subway can learn things form the DC Metro.......look at there subway cars , stations , fare system all decades ahead of this region

Why can't NYC build stations like these? Don't tell me theres no space...at least on the New lines. Compared to Newer Metros and Light Rail stations around the country NYC has fallen behind.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:00 PM

7,616 posts, read 8,826,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
the path is in no way nearly as used by ppl as the nyc subway so its not a fair comparison. there also aren't many lines, stations, etc. so again, its not a fair comparison.

its very difficult to clean the subway system when it runs 24 hours a day. it takes money and time that we apparently don't have. for what it is, its the best system in the country and definitely one of the best (IMO THEE best) in the world.

parsons and archer isn't that dirty IMO. parsons blvd is much worse. parsons and archer is relatively clean. i'll give you the fact that its dim but its been that way since i can remember it and i remember when it first opened.
i was young tho, lol.
They must be cleaning it lately lol, I remember the walls use to look damp and dirty with dirty floors. Why is it so dim though, it's like walking into a lit cave lol.

And I agree with you. The subway is too large to even attempt to clean like that, I think it would benefit from closing for a couple of hours in the middle of the night (many systems do that), that'd probably save a lot of money which can be used to clean it properly. Pay anybody (junkies, bums, etc. people who could use the money, I'm not trying to be mean/funny btw) to throw bleach/pine on the walls and floors then scrub a little and rinse it down those drains, it's hot in there so it'd probably dry up quickly. They could get people to paint/repaint the stations for cheap too. Don't they already use community service people to help the buses run on time? A halfway house program could work too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I had no cash, only credit cards and a metro card with $2.25 on it. I left Elder station on the 6 line, transfered to the E at 51 st. took that to Jamaica center where I picked up the N4, which is LIbus part of the MTA the metro caed said 1 tfers ok, made it to Freeport where I caught the N19 and the metrocard again approved the transfer. I made it to Babylon in just over 3 hours and waited less than 5 minutes for each of my transfers. That's a good system.
I waited 40 minutes for the Q30 this morning, caused me to be late. 2 passed by in that time frame but they were packed and didn't stop. I'm not trying to bash the MTA but your experience will vary.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:16 PM

3,012 posts, read 3,248,002 times
experiences will vary, and the same stuff happend in paris and london no differance. Too many people depend on the 24/7 setup of nyc transit its too late to try something else. I know i depended on it before getting off work in the early morning

Old 08-31-2010, 09:04 AM

7,338 posts, read 10,197,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTVFreak View Post
Okay, this is exactly what I was expecting someone to post. Minus the pickpocketing, Ive experienced every one of the things above on the Metro, especially the "loud obnoxious tough street kids" and "self-appointed preachers" which I feel like I see all the time when I ride the Metro. Well, as long as this is generally what I'm going to see, then it's nothing outside of my comfort zone, I'll be okay.
I am a DC/NY dual citizen. I have spent equal time in both, more or less.

The respective subway systems are an apple to oranges comparison. The NY subway "wins" as it is much larger, never closes, and thus asked to do more, which it does. And does well, more or less. It has improved greatly since the nadir of the 1970s. Ironically, the DC Metro is falling apart probably much like the NY systems did in the 60s and 70s.

Having said that, the New York system, like the City itself, is..."crazier." I do not mean dangerous. I just mean you see more characters on there that have been on one trip too many. I do not know what you have seen on the Metro, but pales in comparison to NY. I could write a book, but so could most people.

When I began college in NYC, I studied the subway map every day. When I started riding it, I noted all the transfer points. And I began to pick up on the "nuances" that only a resident will see.

Good luck. It is the best city in the world.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:24 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,568,885 times
The DC Metro is a suburban commuter rail with some underground stops in the inner city. It's closer to BART in San Francisco or even the LIRR than the Subway.

It's an excellent design for a commuter rail as many people can get to work without transferring to a completely different rail system (like in New York or Boston), but it's not nearly as convenient as the Subway within the city.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:36 AM

7,338 posts, read 10,197,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The DC Metro is a suburban commuter rail with some underground stops in the inner city. It's closer to BART in San Francisco or even the LIRR than the Subway.

It's an excellent design for a commuter rail as many people can get to work without transferring to a completely different rail system (like in New York or Boston), but it's not nearly as convenient as the Subway within the city.
That is very true. It was built to shuttle government workers into the city. The problem is it was built for that era. Nobody built it for what the DC region has become i.e. much larger and more crowded. It was not outfitted with an express track. Consequently, it is now the 2nd busiest in the nation and is ill prepared for that capacity.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:50 AM

13,952 posts, read 11,358,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post

I believe the DC Metro design is based on the San Francisco BART design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City