U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-28-2010, 11:15 PM

539 posts, read 1,040,391 times
Default Permit for New Washer/Dryer

Some of my neighbors tell me that they recently received a fine for installing a new washer/dryer without a permit. (For whatever reason, they let inspectors in wihtout a warrant).

Does anyone know anything about this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 06:13 AM

10,686 posts, read 8,494,818 times
OK I'll venture the guess. They tapped into an electrical line not meant for appliances thus violating code for items that require dedicated lines or exceeds the lines safety capacity. Or they violated the code on plumbing. Placing water lines in an area, hallway closet as example, where there is no exit point for water. Or how about venting? Then of course there is the noise violations too.

I'd guess these are all apartments and the landlord gave notice of inspection to either certain apartments or building wide. Completely legal to bring city inspectors along.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:41 AM

1,810 posts, read 4,125,345 times
I thought it was illegal to have a washer and or dryer inside an apartment. Where do they have the hook ups? in the kitchen? this is a fire hazard(dryer) as well as a plumbing/electrical code issue.

Even those small compact washer/dryer combos use up a lot of juice.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:26 AM

543 posts, read 786,089 times
How can it be "illegal in apartments"? That doesn't make any sense, plus while by far it is not most, there ARE a lot of apartments in NYC and surrounding areas that have them. Not to mention all over the world. I am not following your "fire hazard" logic.

I can see it being a violation OF THE BUILDING if they are installing it without the building owner's permission and the individual building is not set up for that. However that doesn't make it "illegal" for ALL apartments.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:40 AM

10,686 posts, read 8,494,818 times
Quote:
How can it be "illegal in apartments"?
80% of apartment buildings dont have a setup to be able to do. Most of them are from the 1900ish era and have numerous floors. We are not talking about modern housing complexes. Since the most common type of apartment building is six flights in NYC, I'll use that for example. First they are rentals so you cant damage the walls. The floors are not designed to handle the vibration. You can get a washer/dryer combo that is ventless and at 120v. We'll start with the dryer. The fire hazard here is the breaker cant handle the power being pulled as code required appliances to have their own. Many people do not know to clean out the filter after every drying cycle. So it builds up and starts backing up into the exit fan of the dryer. So even thou one day the filter is cleaned no one knows about the fan motor having lint build up. Its just a matter of time before you have a dryer fire (google it, its more common than you think). Also since its ventless where is the excess moisture going? Boy I wonder why the apt has a moldy smell. As to the washer I wont even discuss what damage can be done be done hooking it up. I'll just say how happy you will make your neighbors feel when one day they dont have water. Or how happy your lower neighbors will be when you have an overflow. And guess what; your insurance will not cover any of it.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:09 PM

1,810 posts, read 4,125,345 times
Well said Neil, having a washer/dryer put inside a rental apt is a sure fire way to break the lease and get you evicted. There are laundromats who pick up and deliver right?

Inside Story: My illegal washer-dryer | BrickUnderground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vixNauSDz4

Old 09-02-2010, 04:45 PM

901 posts, read 1,007,774 times
I'm hoping I can put a stackable washer/dryer into a converted closet.

I'll of course get the proper approval from my landlord. I just hope he approves it.

I'm well aware that permits are needed for plumbing and electrical work and I plan to hire licensed people and have permits properly filed.

My only concern besides being approved is the weight of the stackable. If the washer/dryer is comparable to the weight of a fridge then it shouldn't be a problem. I know I'll have to take into consideration vibration also, but they have these modern low vibration units.

It isn't against NYC law to have a washer inside your apartment. You just have to let your landlord know and you'll be charged an extra fee each month with your rent.

There was a case a few years back of a landlord taking a woman to court because she had a washer in her apartment. The courts ruled in the woman's favor and she couldn't be evicted b/c she owned a washer. She only was made to pay an extra fee. I'm not sure in cases of a dryer since many people only have washers.

In regards to fire hazards regarding dryers. They do make ventless dryers.

Usually having a washer/dryer in an apartment becomes a problem is when the owners/renters are ignorant to the proper installation and get any old mo-joe around the corner to make the installation/connections.

I'm spoiled, I grew up in a house with a washer/dryer and had an apartment with a washer/dryer hook-up with my own washer/dryer.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:37 PM

982 posts, read 2,297,138 times
Don't lose any sleep over this issue. The weight is negligible (not a consideration when it comes to load on the floor) and the fire hazard is non existent. If your landlord is willing just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't shimmy across the floor and dislodge the drain.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:50 PM

901 posts, read 1,007,774 times
Thank you Modsquad.

I've already been reading reviews on different stackables and ones with anti-vibration technology.

I think my landlord might approve it once he sees I've covered all bases.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:20 AM

12,136 posts, read 11,325,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
80% of apartment buildings dont have a setup to be able to do. Most of them are from the 1900ish era and have numerous floors. We are not talking about modern housing complexes. Since the most common type of apartment building is six flights in NYC, I'll use that for example. First they are rentals so you cant damage the walls. The floors are not designed to handle the vibration. You can get a washer/dryer combo that is ventless and at 120v. We'll start with the dryer. The fire hazard here is the breaker cant handle the power being pulled as code required appliances to have their own. Many people do not know to clean out the filter after every drying cycle. So it builds up and starts backing up into the exit fan of the dryer. So even thou one day the filter is cleaned no one knows about the fan motor having lint build up. Its just a matter of time before you have a dryer fire (google it, its more common than you think). Also since its ventless where is the excess moisture going? Boy I wonder why the apt has a moldy smell. As to the washer I wont even discuss what damage can be done be done hooking it up. I'll just say how happy you will make your neighbors feel when one day they dont have water. Or how happy your lower neighbors will be when you have an overflow. And guess what; your insurance will not cover any of it.
I live in a old building have a portable washer for 20 years never had a problem with anything. My washer never overflowed or leaked or caused any damage to my apartment or anyone else's.
I do not have mold, or smells either.
I do however have a clothesline, so a dryer is not needed.......
as for floors vibrating, mine doesn't. Not every building in NY is made out of cardboard.

Oh, and if the dryer was pulling to much electric, the fuse would either blow or the circut breaker would shut off.....

I have not really heard of dryer fires that much, or if ever, and noone hates a dryer more than me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City