Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 02:37 PM

244 posts, read 567,732 times

Advertisements

Why isn't this bridge as popular as the Brooklyn Bridge?

It's a prettier bridge and larger and the views are spectacular. I went over it for the first time yesterday, and that view of Manhattan and the Hudson was one of the most beautiful things I've seen in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 05:52 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
GW Bridge prettier and better view than Brooklyn Bridge? God,I don't think so.Most people don't think so either as far as i know.
It does have a nice view of The Hudson though.That's about it.
Besides,it's not a NY bridge.It's a New Jersey bridge.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:43 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,573 times
I live nearby and love to watch the changes along the Palisades and the Hudson as I run across it during different seasons. I agree, it is a gorgeous walk and I love that it is not nearly as crowded as the Brooklyn Bridge. I don't think it's better than the Brooklyn Bridge; the GWB is simply beautiful in its own way.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:27 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,290 times
Been meaning to ride my bike across the GWB one of these days, just havnt gotten around to it. I was always a bigger fan of the GWB than the Brooklyn Bridge, probebly because I always assaciated the GWB with going to Yankee games which are fond memories.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:48 AM

31 posts, read 82,566 times
How great that there are so many others on this thread who live near the GW bridge. I've been living in sight of the bridge for the last 10 years. I keep meaning to bicycle and/or walk across it. Now that I am considering a move to California, I guess it is time to finally do that. I will miss the view of the bridge and that extra little thrill at its beauty on the evenings it is full lit.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:41 AM

11 posts, read 35,466 times
if you go, the north walkway is closed (or at least it was when I went a month or so ago). Use the south walkway (entrance is on the street near where haven avenue ends).

Old 08-31-2010, 07:19 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times
i lived in Ft. Lee, NJ for 2 yrs and walked that bridge a couple of times.

sweet view

Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,573 times
The Port Authority changes the open walkways all the time. There is supposed to be a schedule, but it is never current. Be prepared to use whichever walkway is open.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:04 PM

185 posts, read 647,741 times
I've walked it twice. I do have to say I like the view better than the Brooklyn bridge, you have uptown and downtown Manhattan and the Palisades. Watch out for the bikers though, they are very aggressive, the GWB isn't a touristy bridge like the Brooklyn Bridge, but the view is nice.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:50 PM

244 posts, read 567,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazeleyes86 View Post
I've walked it twice. I do have to say I like the view better than the Brooklyn bridge, you have uptown and downtown Manhattan and the Palisades. Watch out for the bikers though, they are very aggressive, the GWB isn't a touristy bridge like the Brooklyn Bridge, but the view is nice.
I'm glad someone agrees with me!

The views from the GWB are far more dramatic and beautiful than the views from the Brooklyn Bridge. You get the cityscape plus the natural scenery (Palisades, Hudson). Plus I love going down the Henry Hudson Parkway.

I can never get tired of looking at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: