Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:43 PM

543 posts, read 1,455,700 times

Advertisements

I don't curse much, and there are many more like me here. I think you're stereotyping a bit much when you say that "New Yorkers" use the F word in casual conversation, or else you're getting your picture of the East Coast from watching the Sopranos. I have never had anyone say "How the F are you doing" to me and I've lived here all my life. Just because you had some bad experiences you don't insult the whole city of New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 07:59 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
For anyone considering a move to the NYC area, one thing they will have to adjust to is the use of the "F" word or the "F Bomb" as Amarosa said.
I grew up in Detroit and did construction for 5 years, so I was no stranger to foul language. I think I was just struck by the widespread usage, even by soccer moms, etc.
Does anyone have any historical perspective on this. Any explanation.
I am seriously curious and this is an issue for folks moving here from other regions of the country.
It's a cultural thing. Much like "the bible belt" is loaded with thumpers.
I personally find religion to be 1000 times more offensive than the F word, but thats just me. I can spend time in either area, and appreciate the people for who they are. Is the F word used a bit too much in NY? Sure. Then again, people in the belt tend to start entirely too many conversations with "Well, being a Christian...". At least the NY'ers aren't trying to tell me they're better than I am, lol. The fact is any true New Yorker completely ignores it. We're tempered by it, and have learned to listen to the ideas, not the words. If it's not your cup of tea, I suggest moving. It's not about to change in the next 1000 years

-TT

Old 01-09-2007, 11:15 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,221 times
Default the word

I live in New York and don't hear the f word very often at all.

And seriously, is that as the original poster said an issue for out-of-towners? I mean, is that something you carefully consider before moving to any place? I had better things to worry about before coming to Manhattan!

Old 01-09-2007, 01:12 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
for the most part, people in NY, if they are not talking about themselves they dont have much to say so they use trailerpark words to help them fill in the spaces.

they are a fake lot for the most part

Old 01-09-2007, 02:09 PM

Default and now for some big stereotypes

Good grief, Carolinajack! What is that silly whacking about? You don't like New York, I see. Of course we've got our share of shallow people, but this is not Los Angeles yet. Believe me we take no bull here, so I wouldn't say we're "fake". Where do you live anyway, if I may ask?

Old 01-09-2007, 02:13 PM

Default I like Philadelphia, but haven't gone to the South (would like to)

So much for your saying that South Carolinians are "friendly"!

And how's the crowd in Philadelphia? Friendly and real as New Yorkers, or more like grouchy, kind of sad and prone to picking random fights?

Old 01-09-2007, 03:37 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,015 times
Admittedly, I drop the f-bomb rather frequently. But I haven't really noticed that New Yorkers use it more often than others. I use it far more than most other New Yorkers, I think.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:18 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
I've noticed New Yorkers and New Jerseyians curse a bit more casually than people in other places, but not to an insane degree as the stereotypes would have you think.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:03 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
I've lived most of my life in Brooklyn and I do not curse very much. I find the f-word jarring, although I sometimes use it when alone in the car and angry at myself or at others.

Seriously, I gravitate away from people who use it in the street in every other sentence. Potty mouth types often have serious behavior and character issues that I would prefer not to deal with.

Yes, people in NYC may have sensory overload and may be angry, but, as one poster said, look how we pulled together after 9/11 and after that big blackout.

I am a dyed-in-the-wool New Yorker, and proud of it. (Notice that I did not say f****-ing proud of it, but the use of the f-word is often used for emphasis here.)

Old 01-16-2007, 12:10 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Yeah a lot of people in this area do use the F-word a good deal, but I think this is somewhat of a subsection of the population. Not everyone goes around doing this, and the people who do so are usually a tad bit on the trailer trash side of things.

What I do think is different in this area as compared to the rest of the country is that I have noticed a lot of younger women (20s/30s) in the area will use the F word quite frequently out in public (such as chatting with their friends or talking on the cell phone out on the street). I doubt that this type of behavior would occur in areas such as the South or the Midwest.
Personally I find it a little bit trashy and off putting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City