Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:04 AM

954 posts, read 4,376,911 times

Advertisements

For anyone considering a move to the NYC area, one thing they will have to adjust to is the use of the "F" word or the "F Bomb" as Amarosa said.
I grew up in Detroit and did construction for 5 years, so I was no stranger to foul language. I think I was just struck by the widespread usage, even by soccer moms, etc.
Does anyone have any historical perspective on this. Any explanation.
I am seriously curious and this is an issue for folks moving here from other regions of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 09:21 AM

152 posts, read 476,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010
For anyone considering a move to the NYC area, one thing they will have to adjust to is the use of the "F" word or the "F Bomb" as Amarosa said.
I grew up in Detroit and did construction for 5 years, so I was no stranger to foul language. I think I was just struck by the widespread usage, even by soccer moms, etc.
I am seriously curious and this is an issue for folks moving here from other regions of the country.
I don't have any historical perspectives on this.... but I'm sure there are some who will. But I do agree with you......The f word is used like any other without a second thought where I live (LI). It's terrible, although I'm one of the guilty ones. Didn't realize it until last week I heard my 3 yr old saying "What the F***" to her little friends. That was a wakeup call........

Old 08-14-2006, 10:23 AM

104 posts, read 386,820 times
What the f*** is that supposed to mean? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010

Old 08-14-2006, 05:07 PM

105 posts, read 622,190 times
I do have some insight on this...

NY being the great melting pot, always has had many people from different lands all trying to fit in and trying to be understood when they speak. Most immigrants are very well versed in the F word and many other choice words, at work I was explaining (over the phone) to one individual that he could not get what he wanted.....something like free service. He had a tough time speaking and understanding English til I said he would not get what he was asking me for...then he laid into me with a truckdriving/sailors potty mouth...F this, GD that, F you, Kiss my... You know the whole routine, he could say all these words clearly. I was impressed with his language skills!! Kids learn from mom and dad and if these are some of the first words they speak...then the kids learn them too.

Of course this works both ways... when some idiot that should be riding a donkey, camel, or water buffalo cuts you off and nearly causes an accident you can swear at him and he will understand it!!!

NY is a great place!!!

Old 08-29-2006, 02:29 PM

41 posts, read 171,058 times
I Come From Brooklyn Ny I Never Used The F -word Till I Moved To Long Island Ny . I Went To The Smithhaven Mall The Other Day And All These Teenagers Are Standing Outside Using The F - Word I Think Its All Over The Place Were Ewver You Live.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:40 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
I hate the "F" word and find it all over the place. I try very hard not to pick it up because everyone around me seems to spew it like it's not a big deal.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:58 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
It could always be worse. I can't tell you how many times I've been working at Lowe's, helping customers with their purchases, only to hear them talk about how much they f**k their wives, how they'd like to f**k that "hot chick" walking by, etc. The sad thing is that I'm an attractive 19-year-old male, and I'm hearing this from 60-somethings! I immediately think of my grandfather whenever one of these types starts ranting on and on about their personal lives so shamelessly! EWWWW!!! Considering I rarely use the "F-Bomb" (Even in those trying Scranton traffic jams) it was a big wake-up call for me when I started working at Lowe's! What is it with contractors wanting the whole world to know about how sexually-active they are? You don't see me ranting about all of my latest conquests, do you? LOL! As you can see, it's a WIDESPREAD pandemic; NYC isn't alone!

Old 08-29-2006, 07:50 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,233 times
It is the universal language!!! The first words immigrants pick up when they go to NY are the cuss words. That and the fact that people in this part of the country are really stressed, prone to road rage and serious traffic jams and we are COLD 8 months out of the year..get the picture????

Old 08-29-2006, 08:04 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,931 times
Talking Ah the F word...

My fave word!!!

Scranton-THAT is really disgusting! If it is used in the way Scranton described, I could see someone being "offended" ,or more appropriately, icked out!

You see it must be used in the proper NY way... (Anyone heard the George Carlin monologue on this? Really funny! )

Such a wonderfully useful little word! Adds emphasis, as in, "What the f*@k"?!
Or "so the f*@kin power goes out right in the middle of my post..."
There are just so many uses... I just love that word!

Old 08-29-2006, 08:17 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Well, I guess people around here are just more sexually-active than New Yorkers then (or are just more desperate and feel the need to compensate by bragging about the few conquests they've had! LOL!) I rarely hear the "F-Bomb" here out of anger; I myself am more courteous and like to say "What the frig?" LOL! It is still really offensive and really disturbing to hear it used in the context which I described earlier though---ICK!!! ;oX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City