U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-06-2010, 08:43 PM

9 posts, read 25,365 times
Default BMCC (Borough of Manhattan Community College)

Have any of you gone there? visited there?

Would you recommend the school? were the people nice? helpful?

As you can tell I am looking for ANY and all information I can about this school. I am planning to attend in fall 2011 and I am just trying to gather as much info as I can from people that live in the city, or that have actually gone through the school.

Any information / opinions would be helpful

Thanks so much! love this forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-06-2010, 08:48 PM

3,089 posts, read 2,802,146 times
It's only a 2-year college. You should attend a Senior College. CUNY has many of them.

Unread 09-06-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
It's only a 2-year college. You should attend a Senior College. CUNY has many of them.
I know..that is why I want to go there

Unread 09-07-2010, 10:01 PM

45 posts, read 101,113 times
BMCC is a horrible school. What are you looking into majoring?

Unread 09-08-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom01 View Post
BMCC is a horrible school. What are you looking into majoring?
some type of business something probably. I am not doing well in high school so i just need a 2 year school to get my gpa back up

Unread 09-08-2010, 05:39 PM

45 posts, read 101,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djaps View Post
some type of business something probably. I am not doing well in high school so i just need a 2 year school to get my gpa back up
For business go to Baruch.

Unread 09-08-2010, 06:43 PM

366 posts, read 277,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djaps View Post
LaGuardia Community College is quite good. Lots of international students. Diverse population and caring professors. Improve your GPA and transfer to a senior college.

Don't know much about BMCC. Of course it's always better to have an undergraduate degree from a 4 year school. These days a BA is like a high school diploma, everyone should have one, but it isn't worth much.

Unread 09-08-2010, 09:28 PM

79 posts, read 95,995 times
its a typical community college. i heard the courses there arent that hard. they have saturday and sunday classes. also late night classes, some that end like at 9:45 at night.
its also accessible by alot of trains
laguardia community college is only accessible by the 7 train, if you take the E or G train to get there, its quite a walk. the 7 is very close by, theres a lot of international students there. i went there for 2 years, and found the classes to be pretty easy compared to the 4 year school i went to after

Unread 09-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Status: "Kicking away winter like Tony Jaa !!" (set 25 days ago)

404 posts, read 252,376 times
I suggest you do not settle for second-class college degree from BMCC... in this economic climate. Work hard and get a four-year degree from respected University. Believe the hard work will pay off!

Unread 09-09-2010, 11:44 AM

9 posts, read 17,209 times
Default I graduated at BMCC

Hi, I graduated from BMCC 2008... The school itself is good. I loved it. However, in my last year I noticed it became a bit more populated.

I went on to to a 4 year college (Hunter College) without any issue. My only recommendation is to decide your major early, and make sure you follow the 4 year college curriculum. I didn't do that and ended up taking courses I didn't need.

BMCC is in tribeca. You can easily go to wall street. Look at the small Art Galleries. They have century 21, a great bargain store, and the west side highway/battery park to run in the morning.My son went to BMCC daycare, which was absolutely ammmaaaazing. They truly go out of their way for moms to study. I graduated with a high GPA and on the Deans list, and I wouldn't be able to make it without them.

All schools have their ups and downs. This school has an amazing arts and science department. I lovvvveeeed it. So go check it out. Again, the only thing I didn't like was how it was becoming overcrowded, and the lack of advice for students who want to go into a four year.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City