Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:41 PM

188 posts, read 406,156 times

Advertisements

I thought long and hard about how I wanted to approach this topic because it affects quite a few people in one way or another. Some of you may be employers to these nannies. Others may have family member who are nannies, and quite of few of you may have grown up in the care of a nanny. With that said, this is not a personal attack on anyone. This is simply my opinion based on history.
In NYC, it’s impossible to not to see it… first you notice the stylish expensive stroller, then the rosy cheeked child, and then often you look up to find the women pushing that strolling is not the mother. The woman is clearly Black and the child clearly isn’t, and some people might not see this as problem, but I do.

I’m bombarded by this image on a daily basis and it’s a just too reminiscent of the past for me. The questions that go through my mind are:
Does this woman not know what she looks like?
Does she care?
Does she even know her history?
Does she care?

I’m not so absorbed in my own feelings to disregard the fact that being a nanny is a job, and sometimes a well paying job to someone who may not be able to obtain other employment opportunities. However, I still view it as a position of servitude, and nannies no matter how much they’re “like family” they are still The help.

At one point in time Black women had to resort to these types of domestic positions because they had NO Choice. There were few opportunities for Black women back then, but now there is no excuse for anyone to resort to this now. I’m not only seeing older women nannying, there are college age women who could be in school, building a real career!

In further investigating this issue, I have noticed that a majority of these Black women are Caribbean and so this led me believe that perhaps it isn’t so reminiscent for them. Maybe the legacy of Aunt Sarah and Mammy wasn’t on the islands. At any rate, if you’re in the United States and are recognizably of African descent then you are assumed to be African American until you say otherwise.

I don’t like the idea of Black women taking on roles that our ancestors were forced to, and jobs that our grandparents gave up 40 years ago. Black women have been the Mammy’s, wet nurses, cooks, maids and plenty more since landing on this continent (and the Caribbean). They are setting us back several decades and I refuse to have domestic servant added to their list of “Things Black People are Good for”, along with playing sports, and entertainment.

I know that nothing I say can change it, but hey I’m just saying….

Thats a note I wrote resulting from the frustration of seeing so many of my sisters looking like, modern day mammies. I obviously know that these women are getting paid, but I cant help but to view them in positions of servitude. It just reminds me way too much of the past. They spend their entire day away from their own family, cooking, cleaning, and raising some wealthy (usually) White family kids. For the record, I have no issue with the families employing these nannies. They need childcare/housekeeping are are wealthy enough to pay for it, end of story. To be even more clear, I have no problem with people of African descent working for White people. I have a problem with nature of the work. How long will Black women be regarded as "the help"? When will my sisters stop being domestic servents?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs266.ash1/19348_282036937417_513822417_3303940_2054922_n.jpg (broken link)

Comments, thoughts, questions? Dont go too hard on me.

Last edited by dreamgirl84; 09-09-2010 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: adding a picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 04:56 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
What a strange post.

I'm not even sure most nanny's are black.I think most of the one's I've seen/encountered were white.
I've seen plenty of white cooks and maid's too.Go out to the Hamptons and you will see that the overwhelming majority of nannys are white Europeans.

Is your problem only with black people working as house help ? What about a black woman working at a daycare center or a pre school and spending her day taking care of other people's kids? Why would that be any different?

Would it be OK for a black nanny to work for a black family or is is just the working for white people that gets under your skin ?
A job is a job ,especially in this economy and the house help of today can quit whenever they want so drawing analogies to the slave days is absurd.

I really think the problem here is your's.

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-10-2010 at 05:10 AM..

Old 09-10-2010, 05:55 AM

99 posts, read 349,873 times
Yes, this is a really weird post.

You talk about nannies being domestics servants and just the "help", and claim that this is the reason black people shouldn't be working for white families because you clearly believe that it is a low-end job.What about white nannies? Surely their job entails the same tasks? To say that people have to "resort" to this type of work and how they could be building "real careers" is rude and insulting.

I am a nanny and believe it or not, I am college educated. Yes, I am white but I have chosen to follow this position of "servitude" because I actually enjoy looking after children and I earn a great deal more than I could in other fields, including if I was a teacher, which I'm sure you feel is a more worthy profession.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:37 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I see exactly what you see, here in Park Slope Brooklyn it is exactly like the poster syas. The white baby being strolled by the black nanny.

I don't think it should be a problem, It is nice to work with children rather to a dirty job or something on those lines, at least babies are cute......not some fat old grumpy ass dirty man.....
you know what I mean.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:30 AM

316 posts, read 989,585 times
Dreamgirl,

These women have jobs in an economic climate where jobs are scarce. This is a good thing. Just because you have a problem with it, doesn't mean that these women should feel the same. Have you asked any of them their opinion?

Old 09-10-2010, 07:38 AM

483 posts, read 854,232 times
I see the same thing in my neighborhood on the upper west side. As a black woman, I could never see myself pushing a stroller as a nanny to a white child. I can't see myself as a nanny period. Although I wonder what's going through the woman's mind, she's still making her bread and that's the bottom line. Unlike the 1800s, no one is forcing them to do what they are doing, they are working as a nanny on their own volition. Who knows, the job is more than likely paying their tuitions to higher goals and aspirations. I simply wonder when I see them and then my mind moves on to something else. Whatever floats their boat.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:50 AM

483 posts, read 870,251 times
A friend of mine happens to be a supervisor for these "nannies". Most of them are hard-working Hispanic ladies who possess Home Health Aide certificates and have been trained in CPR procedures. OP thinks these workers are setting racial progress back. I suggest most women doing this job are legally working as homemakers or housekeepers to provide a service that working families need in dire economic times.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
What a strange post.

I'm not even sure most nanny's are black.I think most of the one's I've seen/encountered were white.
I've seen plenty of white cooks and maid's too.Go out to the Hamptons and you will see that the overwhelming majority of nannys are white Europeans.

Is your problem only with black people working as house help ? What about a black woman working at a daycare center or a pre school and spending her day taking care of other people's kids? Why would that be any different?

Would it be OK for a black nanny to work for a black family or is is just the working for white people that gets under your skin ?
A job is a job ,especially in this economy and the house help of today can quit whenever they want so drawing analogies to the slave days is absurd.

I really think the problem here is your's.

I was talking about the places where I see them in NYC. I wasnt saying that all nannies as are of African descent. Actually I do have a bit of a problem with Black women working in a domestic setting as "the help". If a black woman were working for Black family, I would even be able to tell she was a nanny.

A job is a job, you're right about that. But at what cost? Our ancestors would roll over in their graves bearing witness to the amount of Black women who have a choice. Yet they still choose to skip education, and real careers. How does one become upwardly mobile in this line of work? There is no analogy to draw, its very much the same. Some Black women are still "the help".

Old 09-10-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahona View Post
Yes, this is a really weird post.

You talk about nannies being domestics servants and just the "help", and claim that this is the reason black people shouldn't be working for white families because you clearly believe that it is a low-end job.What about white nannies? Surely their job entails the same tasks? To say that people have to "resort" to this type of work and how they could be building "real careers" is rude and insulting.

I am a nanny and believe it or not, I am college educated. Yes, I am white but I have chosen to follow this position of "servitude" because I actually enjoy looking after children and I earn a great deal more than I could in other fields, including if I was a teacher, which I'm sure you feel is a more worthy profession.

I have no concern with how much these nannies are getting paid. All that matters to me is the historical significance. In this country, do White women have legacy of being mammies and maids? Was it something they had no choice but to do for a long time? I too work with children, and probably make way less than you. Money is a strong force, but it wont have me go against my principles. I was thoroughly taught my history, no shortcuts, and not only during February.

Although I may sound like Im being terribly judgemental, I do not have anything against these women. I just dont respect their jobs.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:17 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl84 View Post
I have no concern with how much these nannies are getting paid. All that matters to me is the historical significance. In this country, do White women have legacy of being mammies and maids? Was it something they had no choice but to do for a long time? I too work with children, and probably make way less than you. Money is a strong force, but it wont have me go against my principles. I was thoroughly taught my history, no shortcuts, and not only during February.

Although I may sound like Im being terribly judgemental, I do not have anything against these women. I just dont respect their jobs.
Why not? They are taking care of our most precious things - CHILDREN! The parents need to trust the nanny and doing so, in my opinion, is a compliment. You wouldn't leave your kid(s) with someone you don't trust.

Being a caretaker IS a career, whether you're a nanny, healthcare worker or yes, even a housekeeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City