U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:16 AM

1,526 posts, read 3,938,806 times

Advertisements

Hustla, considering your attitude about life in general, why would anyone really listen to you?

Why are you trying to dictate everyone's life for them? Why do you not respect anyone's opinion and experience but your own?

Perhaps you're correct about Port Morris. Who knows. Who cares? If you're so perfect and made such smart choices in your life that you feel that you are a beacon of life in the darkness of ignorance, why are you so bitter and pessimistic? And why are you still there when you're telling everyone else to leave or not move in? What's holding you back from getting the hell out of here yourself? When you go, you needn't worry yourself about NY or New Yorkers any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 04:26 AM

1,536 posts, read 272,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Hustla, considering your attitude about life in general, why would anyone really listen to you?

Why are you trying to dictate everyone's life for them? Why do you not respect anyone's opinion and experience but your own?

Perhaps you're correct about Port Morris. Who knows. Who cares? If you're so perfect and made such smart choices in your life that you feel that you are a beacon of life in the darkness of ignorance, why are you so bitter and pessimistic? And why are you still there when you're telling everyone else to leave or not move in? What's holding you back from getting the hell out of here yourself? When you go, you needn't worry yourself about NY or New Yorkers any more.
My attitude about life? Haha, so now you know me? All this becuase I said the South Bronx is the ghetto.

I'm not trying to dictate anyone's life. I am giving advice to those who seek accuracy. The same old members are providing post based on hope and naive belifs (Even for more serious matters like personal safety in other post). I see reality for what it is. Not for what I wish it was like. Some posters are providing strait up wrong information.

Port Morris is what it is. Not a bad thing. Industry has created jobs in the neighborhood for the low income population. The homeless shelters house the homeless families. The yuppies have their little pocket. Is it a nice place to live? No. There are enough problems in the neighborhood to make it undesireable for the average person. Is going to change? Current trends do not suggest that happening.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:51 AM

216 posts, read 662,122 times
^correct. for someone seeking neighborhood recommendations its far better to say straight up what its about instead of painting some kind of rosey picture, the "potential in the future", the "improvement" over the years, etc blah blah blah.

alot of people read these boards and not everyone who does, posts on them. some clueless person out there might move into one of these bombed out neighborhoods cuz of someones 'rosey' description and wind up getting jacked, assaulted or even worse. not knowing what hit them. if it werent for guys like hustla telling it like it is, and just read for example Elvira's description of University heights or Guywithacause's description of Mott Haven, you would think they are sweet neighborhoods to live in (which couldnt be further from the truth).

Old 09-26-2007, 05:09 AM

Yes, I know just how much you really care if any of those posters live or die. I know you have the burden of the world, or at least the current and future residents of NYC, on your very capable, knowlegeable, all-knowing, shoulders. You've seen it all--seen the world outside your little Bronx bubble, so you are the authority over what perfect strangers should do with their lives, because you are so so successful yourself.

Hustla, you don't know me, nor do you know anyone else on this board. You presume to know them and know what is best for them though, don't you? Do you think people are that stupid and blind to take the word of one poster on a board, whether it be me or you? Get over yourself!

I am providing a viewpoint based on my experience; yours is based on your own. I have lived in other places in this city besides the Bronx. Lived there. Not just made sweeping generalizations. Have you? Has Concept? And yes, I live here now. I'm not just here for a visit or to flip my property. I don't pretend to know about every other area and give advice to others about it.

And I and others on this board NEVER said it is all perfect, far from it. That's "winning" an argument dishonestly--by distorting the facts--in this case, what I actually posted.

My viewpoint is just as valid as yours, because I live here. Sorry if that upsets your little world.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:33 AM

1,536 posts, read 272,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Yes, I know just how much you really care if any of those posters live or die. I know you have the burden of the world, or at least the current and future residents of NYC, on your very capable, knowlegeable, all-knowing, shoulders. You've seen it all--seen the world outside your little Bronx bubble, so you are the authority over what perfect strangers should do with their lives, because you are so so successful yourself.

Hustla, you don't know me, nor do you know anyone else on this board. You presume to know them and know what is best for them though, don't you? Do you think people are that stupid and blind to take the word of one poster on a board, whether it be me or you? Get over yourself!

I am providing a viewpoint based on my experience; yours is based on your own. I have lived in other places in this city besides the Bronx. Lived there. Not just made sweeping generalizations. Have you? Has Concept? And yes, I live here now. I'm not just here for a visit or to flip my property. I don't pretend to know about every other area and give advice to others about it.

And I and others on this board NEVER said it is all perfect, far from it. That's "winning" an argument dishonestly--by distorting the facts--in this case, what I actually posted.

My viewpoint is just as valid as yours, because I live here. Sorry if that upsets your little world.
I keep it simple. I recommend decent neighborhoods. If someone cannot afford to live in a decent neighborhood, I advise them to look elseware. In other cities where they can find virtually the same thing for a much lower price. I do advise many from the jump, the current housing cost in NYC are a ripoff. They honestly are. It's up to that member to decide weather or not they want to live here in NYC, or another part of the country where they get a better bang for the buck. It's like shopping for a cars at a certain dealership. You recommend to a friend decent cars, but you don't tell him to buy the one with the worst reviews. If you can't find anything, you look to another make.

Again, I refuse to recommend people to live in ****hole neighborhoods. Why the hell would I do that? Some forumers are doing just that. Hyping crap neighborhoods.

BTW, I have lived in areas outside NYC. I was in the military after all. Not to mention I have traveled and I see through a lot of the hype. A lot of the same. I guess you don't know me either.

Never said that anyone posted the neighborhood was perfect either. I just pointed out the positives were given an overwhelming edge in an area where obviously the negatives weigh more. Too much "in the future" speculation, not enough "now".

Old 09-26-2007, 08:22 AM

In another thread (I can't keep track anymore) I did give you some personal info about me and my family, Hustla. My b/f and most of his family are all military folk. Just as I don't know you, you don't know me.

That's the thing, Hustla, if you don't see the future, you can't/won't do anything to get to where you want to be--IF you prefer to live in NYC for whatever reason. Nothing happens overnight. Plenty of bitter people like Roseba put down the city because they didn't have the foresight to see into the future and BUY WHILE THEY COULD AFFORD TO--and to see their investment reap astronomical rewards. She actually thinks that people who made millions by buying coops in Manhattan when it wasn't all rosy are fools. How unbelievable is that? Her bitterness and snobbery speak for themselves. I suspect she will be miserable and find fault in any city she moves to, because as they say wherever you go, there you are.

You can't see the forest for the trees- apparently can't see the genuinely good things happening in your own community and the good people in it. The grass is always greener, and if there's greener pastures for you outside the Bronx, that's fine, but it's unfair to presume you know what's best for all or that everyone shares your individual, unique goals--what you decide is right for you, no one else.

Since you've been all over, and yet still live here, you're not practicing what you preach. I am.

Whether we agree or not, we both have the same right to express our views and to post about our experiences in this city. Your viewpoints are valid, and so are mine, because we are both New Yorkers and we both live here. I am not advising people who can afford better to move into the projects, but I don't live in fear of living near them either. There is no absolute wrong or right in life or in most situations. Much more valuable for a poster to get all points of view, as there's always two sides to every story. If the city goes downhill again, well, I've lived through it before, and that's my problem to deal with. I'm willing to take the risk, just as people living downtown are also risking their very life due to the well-cited ultra dangerous air quality post-9/11. Safer? Crime wise, yes. But there's many ways to endanger your health and your life that don't involve being on the wrong end of a gun.

And once again--if someone presumed to tell you to stay in an area with your "own kind" because people might not like the fact that you moved in, you'd be all over me in a hot New York minute.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:17 AM

2,978 posts, read 1,015,602 times
Hustla it is not that you say the South Bronx is ghetto and the pro-urban people on this board are outraged...let's be reasonable. It is that you say no matter what happens in the Bronx, or doesn't happen, nothing is ever positive, good, or a step in the right direction. ALL of your posts are ALWAYS negative about NYC, and the Bronx in particular. You cannot say something positive about the new affordable housing going in (that you say is needed) except that they are the future projects. You cannot say anything positive about the new 2/3 family homes being built on vacant lots, except to say they are the future projects/section 8 housing, you cannot say anything positive about the new retail and commercial businesses moving in, except to say they "are all low-wage jobs" and cater to the poor. If your posts were more balanced, this board would not dismiss you as a pessimist, unreasonable, and believe that you have alterior motives.

Furthermore, you are supposedly involved in law enforcement at some capacity, so how can you, or anyone for that matter, speak or know with any certianty what will happen in Port Morris? Who knows what these business will decide..it is all speculation...you do not know..and neither do...the differnce is..you promote yourself as the authority and assert that your opinion is fact, whereas everyone discusses and speculates. So no, what you see is not what you get...you do not know anymore than anyone else...so don't assert that what you say is fact.

Concept..I am a lifelong resident of Mott Haven and I can see the changes that have occurred, and I see the rapid pace with which they are changing now. I speak of my point of view..which is just as much "talking straight" as Hustla does..as he speaks from his point of view. Whereas Hustla always sees the glass as half-empty, I see the glass as half-full...both of those realities are correct, just different points of view. Before you ascribe yourself to Hustla's eternal doom and gloom, which is your perogative, ask yourself this:

1-Do you think the new affordable housing, new 2/3 family market rate housing has no positive impact on the community?
2-Do you believe the new commercial and retail business openings (the Staples, Rite-Aids, and others) have no positive impact on the community?
3-Do you believe the greening of the Bronx, the renovation of parks, and the opening of the waterfront along the Bronx River and Yankee Stadium watefront with parks, esplanades, and new infrastructure has no positive impact on the community?

It is not to say that any of these are the magic cures to solve any problems, the issue is, are these positive steps, as I suggest, and any rational person would believe, or are they just pointless, a waste of time, and have no effect on anything..so why bother...as Hustla suggests? He will complain and criticize about all these positive steps, and if nothing were being done, he would complain and criticize that the white man is trying to keep us colored folks down...or if they were building high-end luxury condos and gucci was moving in, he would complain and criticize that whitey is trying to push out us poor, defenseless, innocent colored folks. It is a mentality of doom and gloom....I don't call that straight shooting and telling it like it is....

If you said yes to any of those questions, then you should not agree with Hustla and his complete negativity. I would hope that you can be far more balanced, and give the good with the bad...Hustla can do no such thing..which is why his posts are dismissed by many.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:26 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,955,062 times
To the OP, I drive through that area quite often to take the bridge to Manhattan. I've always thought it looked cute. I'd be sure to talk to as many people as possible who live there to get a clearer picture of the pros and cons.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:37 PM

2,978 posts, read 1,015,602 times
Agreed Yodel...for the real scoop on the nieghborhood...talk to those that live there...they frequent the Brucknher bar and Grill and make no qualms about telling you the good and bad.

I don't live far from there...and I know the potential it has...so if I can see it..developers and the city are already 10 steps ahead.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:44 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,955,062 times
My husband always wants to stop and look at antiques there, and I'm always saying "no we don't have time", because really I find that to be boring. It's kind of a role reversal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City