Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 07:28 AM

479 posts, read 1,442,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stencil View Post
Including you.
LOL good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 07:40 AM

337 posts, read 968,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stencil View Post
Including you.
Yes, including me. My cousin told me he heard about it and the guys in the corner store were saying the guy was a teacher or social worker. It's unfortunate that it happened when he was in the area to help someone. I felt bad but probably would have got jumped if I intervened. It was about 4pm and people were walking past and even laughing in some cases.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:15 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
That neighborhood is such a dump, and it probably always will be. I don't understand why the hipsters/yuppies chose to move there when their are much better options in the city, even near Williamsburg [Ridgewood, Maspeth, Glendale, Middle Village, Long Island City etc].

Old 08-22-2011, 08:30 PM

337 posts, read 968,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
That neighborhood is such a dump, and it probably always will be. I don't understand why the hipsters/yuppies chose to move there when their are much better options in the city, even near Williamsburg [Ridgewood, Maspeth, Glendale, Middle Village, Long Island City etc].
They think it's cool.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,058 times
someone above pointed out that bushwick is a large neighborhood. There are definitlely areas more developed , primarily by "ah so detested hipsters" and areas which are still untouched by the "white industrious spirit". i think it is a disservice to the neighborhood to write about it as "resisting the gentrification"" or "unable to complete the transformation". The area has picked up about a decade ago, normal process of williamsburg pushing and expanding. the direction of this process is of course the same as the L train going to canarsie. lorimer, grand, graham, montrose, morgan, jefferson. these are pretty cool areas to be around right now. and i am happy to see the wave is strong enough to push further past myrtle to halsey, that's me. young kids are cool to want to live here, rather then in "nice" hoods, as someone pouted above. the rent still is significantly cheaper then in other parts of nyc, even south brooklyn, like sunset park, and commute to the city is way shorter. recession hit a few years ago and i am worried it will halt "the transformation" of bushwick, but then maybe not. less money might drive more people here, in search of living normal life, next to people who struggle the hardest. i respect people who move here and just live here without running to whine and complain on various blogs that it is unsafe, and overrated. for people who care about areas of poverty changing and normalizing, living in this spots and working, shopping and talking to one another on the streets is just a normal thing to do. dissatisfied may be the shallow, privileged souls, who move here cause they heard smth but don't know what and why. listening to their i-phone devices at 4am on the shady street, get robbed, and then then blog and cry and also wanting to scare others, don't move there it is ugly. there are nicer places, yes across the river in hoboken

Last edited by yarko; 09-21-2011 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 09-21-2011, 12:13 PM

166 posts, read 443,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarko View Post
the rent still is significantly cheaper then in other parts of nyc, even south brooklyn, like sunset park,
I'm not so sure about the rents being cheap...I was recently searching for a room on craigslist and was blown away by some of the rents there. Things like $900 for a tiny room in a railroad apt. with 4 roommates on Halsey...who considers this a good deal? I did see a few ads for decent priced rooms in sunset park- $600-$700 w/one roommate near express train. It seems like the cool kids are just so hung up on living in bushwick, they'll pay whatever.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:25 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkeystatus View Post
I'm not so sure about the rents being cheap...I was recently searching for a room on craigslist and was blown away by some of the rents there. Things like $900 for a tiny room in a railroad apt. with 4 roommates on Halsey...who considers this a good deal? I did see a few ads for decent priced rooms in sunset park- $600-$700 w/one roommate near express train. It seems like the cool kids are just so hung up on living in bushwick, they'll pay whatever.
I really doubt thats the case... $900 for a room in a tiny apartment in Halsey nonetheless seems ridiculously high... can you post the link to verify...

Old 09-22-2011, 02:49 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,939 times
Bla, bla, bla, !!!! If BK safe, is BR , safe? Is Q, if safe, I rather to be on this hoods than to be in the city when is about to sink underwater!! Or been BOMB!!!!!!!!

Old 09-22-2011, 04:36 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotblue78 View Post
Bla, bla, bla, !!!! If BK safe, is BR , safe? Is Q, if safe, I rather to be on this hoods than to be in the city when is about to sink underwater!! Or been BOMB!!!!!!!!
Bushwick already got bombed, lol.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:50 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,939 times
Jajajajaja!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City