Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:35 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Not really... just simple common sense. They see that what the real estate agents offered them is nowhere near the truth and that surprisingly this area is mostly minorities (wow, what a shock) that aren't good, and they leave.
As far as I see it, we are in agreement. (Are we not?)

Hopefully enough outside folks read this thread to avoid falling into the Bushwick trap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 06:44 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
LOL... yea man thats what i was saying... It wasn't meant to be a disagreement just an adding of a point... apologies for the mix-up.

At your comment in bold I think it is already happening because I haven't seen nearly as many hipsters as I used to see strolling down wyckoff ave. And honestly the craziest thing is that some of the white people that have moved in and were lilly white folk, are starting to become ghetto. It was hilarious to see some people change... but yea for the most part that whole hipster movement seems to be dying out.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:17 AM

29 posts, read 101,088 times
I have a friend that moved there in July(30ish white) and her rent is $1700.00 for a new building. Is this the average rent for Bushwick?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:35 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYStew View Post
$1700.00.......... Is this the average rent for Bushwick?

LOL this fackin city really is getting ridiculous.....

Old 01-27-2011, 01:04 PM

537 posts, read 818,675 times
Bushwick is pretty low-income and has quite a few crime problems, but it's not as bad as it used to be. You should safe during the day, but I wouldn't go out after dark. If it were still the 1980s, however, I wouldn't recommend going into Bushwick at all unless you had on a bullet-proof vest.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:19 PM

@ Ebrehm she should still walk that area with a bullet-proof vest. I live on the border between ridgewood and Bushwick and @ NYstew you're friend is straight getting ripped off for $1700 a month... thats ridiculous...

This area may have some white hipsters here (like 4 or 5%) but this area is still an overwhelming black and hispanic low income high crime neighborhood. I thought this hipster movement had stopped since I saw so many hipsters leaving bushwick due to the rise in the violent crime rate...

personally, I would never live in this area but you'll have people sell you detroit on here so i guess Bushwick is "okay"... for $1700 a month you could find a much better location by Southside which is still in its transitioning phase but has become far more gentrified than Bushwick... I think even Bed-stuy circa 2010-2011 is a better nabe than Bushwick currently...

If you don't mind me asking, what part of Bushwick is she moving into or did she move to?

Old 02-01-2011, 04:22 PM

bushwick is one of the poorest areas in the city. average rent is nowhere near $1700 a month. most likely (and this is unfortunate but sadly its true), the person renting the apartment saw a white female moving into this gritty brooklyn neighborhood and assumed she had some serious $$$ so the traditional $900 a month for a new apartment was given to her for $1700 a month...

Old 02-01-2011, 05:53 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,014 times
Much of Bushwick has changed since the 1990's, when it was really hot, even I felt uncomfy in the vicinity then. You can find 'hipsters' within it's northern portion fore frequently. Today you can find all sorts of people strolling into it also, photographers from Germany, artsy types, ect.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:13 PM

Similar to most of the other real estate agents on this website you'll have people sell you just about any neighborhood to make a profit... like i said before that area was one of the areas that saw sharp rises in crime last year and in 2009 still ranked in the top 10 in crime categories and that crime rate just surged in 2010...

@ shadowmessa its not just Bushwick... the whole country saw decreases in crime from the 90s so that doesn't really help much. granted Bushwick was at its worst in the 80s and 90s, but crime continues to happen at a far higher pace than most other nabes in the city...

even the areas that have seen the majority and probably the only bit of gentrification from in between dekalb and jefferson ave stops (about 4 or 5 blocks) still see there fair share of crime because that area is still majority low income black and hispanic though now the numbers around there are probably around (65% hispanic 10% black 20% white (and even that may be pushing it) 5% asian))...

But you know what though, I think i saw a condo in detroit... its definitely gentrifying... thats the new hot spot...

Old 02-02-2011, 09:07 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,014 times
Anon, don't get me wrong, not saying it's a NYC top tier or quality nabe, just the difference of era which I recall, which was stated many times here. Personally I don't feel too afraid or worried within that nabe and certain other areas. Yes, the stats do display the crime percentages, can't argue against that. My cousin who is a Brooklyn native out of nearby Williamsburg lived near Knickerbocker Ave from 2008-10 with a roommate, it was very overpriced at 1600$ for that amount space and area, and a annoying bugger of a landlord, insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City