Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 11:25 PM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkak69 View Post
Just moved to Bushwick on the Wilson stop. It's perfectly safe. It still looks and feels like a low income neighborhood, but so what? Mostly the only restaurants (to date) are chinese fast food and not very good. That's my only complaint so far. The bodegas are fine - one has great coffee and perfectly acceptable deli fare. My neighbors have been extremely nice and very helpful. I have felt welcomed, even. Oh, I'm a white guy - 35 y/o. I probably look like "yuppie", but god, I hope I'm not one. The neighborhood is changing, and I think in good ways, not just gentrification. It's becoming friendly and safe. There is tons of diversity, and I hope it stays that way. That's why I moved there. Peace.
Really thats like one of the worst parts of Bushwick
There's a reason why they call Wilson Avenue and Moffat Street "the darkside"

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 12:42 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,464 times
Jessica, here's the answer to your question,

No!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:51 PM

105 posts, read 322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Really thats like one of the worst parts of Bushwick
There's a reason why they call Wilson Avenue and Moffat Street "the darkside"

If everyone's definition of "safe" is "predominantly white", then Bushwick is totally unsafe. People of color will kill you or rape you. I guess that's just what they do.

People's opinion who have been around Bushwick "for forty years" are going to be totally negative- of course. But ask the people who live there now. People who live there are kids and grandmas and young people from all over of every color, and a few yuppies like me. I guess i'm a "pioneer" as I've been called, like I'm some kind of f***ing Columbus trading with the natives. That's incredibly racist. So are many of the opinions here. You know what will make you unsafe in my neighborhood? Ignorance and fear. So, if you're full of it, you're definitely better off somewhere else.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
If everyone's definition of "safe" is "predominantly white", then Bushwick is totally unsafe. People of color will kill you or rape you. I guess that's just what they do.

People's opinion who have been around Bushwick "for forty years" are going to be totally negative- of course. But ask the people who live there now. People who live there are kids and grandmas and young people from all over of every color, and a few yuppies like me. I guess i'm a "pioneer" as I've been called, like I'm some kind of f***ing Columbus trading with the natives. That's incredibly racist. So are many of the opinions here. You know what will make you unsafe in my neighborhood? Ignorance and fear. So, if you're full of it, you're definitely better off somewhere else.
Hello, he said "dark side" not "dark faces"! Seems to me you have a chip on your shoulder and you don't like to hear anyone's opinion that doesn't agree with yours.

Definitions for "dark side"
■1976 G. Lucas Adventures of Luke Starkiller (Mar. 15) № 42: He used the power of the force for evil [...]. Vader was seduced by the dark side of the force and it consumed him.■1995 S. Adams Dilbert Syracuse (N.Y.) Herald-Journal (Jan. 18) № D13: I can't decide if I should stay with engineering or pursue a career in management. In my heart I'm an engineer but I hear a voice calling me to the dark side.
■1997 J.K. Rowling Harry Potter & Sorcerer's Stone (1999) № 110: He says Malfoy's father didn't need an excuse to go over to the Dark Side.

Read more: dark side: Definition from Answers.com

Old 03-21-2011, 02:14 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure. I'm facinated by the hype from people about Bushwick from both ends of the spectrum. I've heard that it's the next Soho (I don't think so) and that it's a deathtrap where people like me (white) are sure be mugged or murdered (no). It's neither; it's low income. Crime is about average for the income level, on the rise over the last year certainly because of the troubled economy, basically following city-wide trends. Statistically, as a white person I am safer than people of color. The neighborhood is changing for the better and the change will come in fits and starts, and will basically follow overall economic trends. Rents in Bushwick are increasing steadily due to demand / proximity. The area will continue to improve - because the city is running out of subway stops close to cool ****. Many of my neighbors, btw, are building owners who are "of color" who beneift from "gentrification". I think that's one of the reasons they have been welcoming to me. (That and I'm a nice person.) Renters and particularly Section 8 residents will "suffer" and be displaced to lower rent areas. This is just how it works. One of my neighbors (of color) warned me not to accept section 8 tenants. ("They tear **** up") He also doesn't want them on the street bringing his property value down. The neighborhood is destinted to improve, and it is. Ask a New Yorker who was around 25 years ago if they had felt safe walking around at night in alphabet city, or LES, or even the Upper West Side, or Hell's Kitchen. They didn't. Anyway, I like it here. I feel safe. I have tons of room. I have a great building. I like my neighbors. I am looking forward to decent restaurants someday soon, I hope.
Well said.!!!!!

Quote:

I tried to rep you, but have to spread some around. Sensible posts all the way!!.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:14 PM

105 posts, read 322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Hello, he said "dark side" not "dark faces"! Seems to me you have a chip on your shoulder and you don't like to hear anyone's opinion that doesn't agree with yours.

■1976 G. Lucas Adventures of Luke Starkiller (Mar. 15) № 42: He used the power of the force for evil [...]. Vader was seduced by the dark side of the force and it consumed him.■1995 S. Adams Dilbert Syracuse (N.Y.) Herald-Journal (Jan. 18) № D13: I can't decide if I should stay with engineering or pursue a career in management. In my heart I'm an engineer but I hear a voice calling me to the dark side.
■1997 J.K. Rowling Harry Potter & Sorcerer's Stone (1999) № 110: He says Malfoy's father didn't need an excuse to go over to the Dark Side.

Yeah, maybe a bit. Sorry for rant.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:

Umm yeah....the people that live around there call it "the dark side...." the nickname for the area has absolutely nothing to do with race.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

Thanks. Even the nickname of a neighborhood goes off on a racial tangent nowadays on this forum. Sheesh.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:56 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
Default bushwick

I love how all these little whiny liberals from the midwest move here off of mommy and daddy's money and after settling into their stuido apartment, of which they are overpaying way too much and dont even own the residence , after three months they tell everyone how they are "native new yorkers". as someone who actually grew up in queens in the 70s and 80s i just gotta laugh...pathetic.....

i cant wait untitl the other shoe drops and these hipsters are stuck with their dingy apartments in a crack zone.....

Old 03-25-2011, 05:15 PM

29 posts, read 101,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
bushwick is one of the poorest areas in the city. average rent is nowhere near $1700 a month. most likely (and this is unfortunate but sadly its true), the person renting the apartment saw a white female moving into this gritty brooklyn neighborhood and assumed she had some serious $$$ so the traditional $900 a month for a new apartment was given to her for $1700 a month...
Not sure the area. I know its a new construction building that looks odd in the area. You can see the train from her roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City