U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-12-2011, 03:01 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,167,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
That might be true figuratively, but it paints an unfair picture. Bed Stuy might be a much bigger neighborhood but it has about 10 PJs. That's still a lot for 1 hood, so it makes sense that Bed-Stuy would be known for more PJs than Boreum Hill which only has 2.
My point was that there are parts of Bed-Stuy which are very, very far from any projects, while all parts of the much wealthier Boerum Hill are closer to projects. Blaming projects for Bed-Stuy's poverty or undesirability is ridiculous and false, and even assuming that areas near projects can't/don't gentrify (Boerum Hill of course proves the opposite, but whatever), Bed-Stuy has large sub-neighborhoods entirely devoid of projects.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 03:12 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,294,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
My point was that there are parts of Bed-Stuy which are very, very far from any projects, while all parts of the much wealthier Boerum Hill are closer to projects. Blaming projects for Bed-Stuy's poverty or undesirability is ridiculous and false, and even assuming that areas near projects can't/don't gentrify (Boerum Hill of course proves the opposite, but whatever), Bed-Stuy has large sub-neighborhoods entirely devoid of projects.
I agree that blaming the crime in Bed-Stuy on the PJs is ridiculous and there are parts of Bed-Stuy that aren't near PJs at all. I was just saying that it would make sense that Bed-Stuy is known for projects than Boreum Hill.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:18 PM

238 posts, read 594,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidedr View Post
THere are alot of projects in bed-stuy, that will hurt its chances of gentrifying
That is true. but location is much more important than the amount of projects, LES for example. East Harlem has more PJs than Bed-Stuy. But its location beats bed-stuy hands down.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:44 AM

1,919 posts, read 3,102,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
It is intersting that Gowanus sits right in the middle of a well to do area. Million dollar brownstones are right across the street from these projects. It bucks the negative view of "living across the projects." When I was a kid we weren't even allowed to walk down to Hoyt and Union without an adult because kids from Gowanus attended school on that corner. Today I see kids who live in the brownstones in the area playing in the playground that is attached to Gowanus houses. Things have really changed.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:42 PM

2,754 posts, read 3,353,251 times
I gotta agree and disagree with this one... to the original OP, to be honest this site is terrible if you want to get an honest opinion... you have those (like myself, though more jaded) who will convince you that Bed-stuy is just as bad as its always been, and that the whole neighborhood is a hellhole...

and then you have even more people mainly brokers or real-estate agents that will sell you on the Tilden Projects being the next up and coming location which is what I see more of on this thread than anything else...

BrownstoneNY along with many others on this site are bent on bringing people to Bed-stuy and Bushwick, as are a number of other folks that live in the area that were conned by these same people into buying into this area and have not seen any appreciation whatsoever...

the reality is that this neighborhood is still very dangerous in most parts though not as bad as the 80s and 90s era where crime was rampant...

my advice is that unfortunately since there are so many dishonest people on this site that will sleep perfectly fine at night even though they just sold you a piece of crap location, check out the neighborhood yourself at a reasonable time and not by yourself and see how you feel about it... is it a location that you feel you can walk around comfortably? Can you see yourself raising a family in this area? Walking around the area and giving the current economic situation do you see this area giving you a significant investment any time soon?

Old 02-23-2011, 02:34 PM

55 posts, read 90,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2k9 View Post
That is true. but location is much more important than the amount of projects, LES for example. East Harlem has more PJs than Bed-Stuy. But its location beats bed-stuy hands down.
You are right. East Harlem and LES have gentrified because of there location of being in Manhattan. Bed stuy has a bad location and pj's.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 PM

2,900 posts, read 4,670,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy_Adams View Post
Bedstuy isn't dangerous anymore. It was in the 70's, 80's, early 90's. Not anymore.. You can make money in Bedstuy. I'm White & I grew up in the projetcs of Bedstuy. Don't listen to the scare mongers. Send me a PM. I'll show you where you can make a safe investment!!!
Hmmm, white and grew up in the projects of Bed-Stuy?

Please, I for one would love to here of your experiences. What was that like? Which project? Which schools? What was high school like? Did you date black girls/guys? You probably could write a book!

Thx

Old 02-23-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidedr View Post
THere are alot of projects in bed-stuy, that will hurt its chances of gentrifying
I think the Transplants of Fort Greene and Clinton Hill might beg to differ

Old 02-23-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
It is intersting that Gowanus sits right in the middle of a well to do area. Million dollar brownstones are right across the street from these projects. It bucks the negative view of "living across the projects." When I was a kid we weren't even allowed to walk down to Hoyt and Union without an adult because kids from Gowanus attended school on that corner. Today I see kids who live in the brownstones in the area playing in the playground that is attached to Gowanus houses. Things have really changed.
RIGHT!

It's negative racial ATTITUDES which have lessened over the last decade which" changed".

In your day, your people had/have irrational, racist, and prejudicial, attitudes which had no basis in reality. The truth then and now. All the Transplants successfully living in areas tradionally feared by native whites proves the issue clearly.

These areas were painted with a racially prejudiced brush by outsiders which was less than true and real. It is these attitudes which contributed mightly to the poor conditions which evovled over the years.

It is the reverse of such mindsets which is allowing the 'rejuvenation'.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:37 PM

55 posts, read 90,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
I think the Transplants of Fort Greene and Clinton Hill might beg to differ
2 big differences. there are alot more pj's in bed-stuy. Also those neiborhoods gentrified before the housing crash. Its going to be alot harder for a neiborhoods to gentrify these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City