U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 06:47 PM

2,749 posts, read 3,251,287 times
For the one millionth time, no place will ever be the next williamsburg... No area that is currently being gentrified had the white population that the northside of williamsburg had... Even the southside of williamsburg is still vastly underdeveloped compared to its neighbor. Southside is still for the most part Dominican city and some parts are Puerto Rican with a smattering of hipsters but gentrification is not taking over.

Same applies for Bushwick, Bed-stuy and Harlem... Look at the numbers and look at the crime statistics... ignore what subjective viewpoints including our own and do some research that will not include anything people say but rather facts and you will get your answer as to whether Bed-stuy, Bushwick, Harlem, some say Cypress Hills i.e. East NY, etc. are safe investments or dangerous neighborhoods...

Are they the 90s areas? HELLL NO. We know that already... Throughout the country crime was rampid in the 90s. Is it that much better nowadays? Walk down ralph ave. patchens? gates... malcolm x blvd. and for the real estate agents that will be furious at my comments even look at marcy and Nostrand for the most part which have supposedly been gentrified the most in Bed-stuy and you'll get your answer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 7,038 times
Wow I suspect many of your are below 40 years of age, but still you guys are a bunch of closed minded bigots like older generations wow. If you mean the neighborhood have black people and you are afraid of them then stay out, we would not want your type here. However if you are one that love a multicultural environment, love beautiful historic building, the most beautiful architectural buildings in NYC, a neighborhood filled with artist, family and great food well join us, we would love to have you. I am a home owner in Bedford Stuyvesant for about six years and love the investment, love the space, love the neighborhood love love love.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:44 PM

No not really... just live in the real NYC that people such as yourself hate to realize because it means less $$$... Believe me I knew what it was like back then and I know that the poverty level of the 80s and 90s is nowhere near the poverty level of today's times even with this current recession... People were way poorer, the streets were way dirtier, the people were much grittier than they are now...

That being said, people like you make Bed-stuy look like Malba, Queens or Brooklyn Heights and it is just mind-boggling to me how many people simply go with the flow on these threads just because someone says "oh yes its nice"...

Thats why I tell people not even to go by my own opinions but rather look at the crime rates of these supposedly gentrified areas... and don't look at 1990 crime rates as a guide because any neighborhood in the country will look like pleasantville in today's times compared to the early 90s which doesn't make it safe just not a warzone like it used to be...

To give you an example, people began talking about Bed-stuy in 2008 as being one of the new hotspots for gentrification yet in 2009 there were 28 murders in the combined precints somewhere around 500-600 burglaries and thousands of other violent crimes throughout the year with a population of around 100,000... 2010 wasn't much better look up the statistics for yourself and stop going by what people tell you on here or unfortunately you will end like one of two hipsters... either poor and having a much higher percentage of having a violent crime happening to you while your living here... or a angry hipster or investor who was hoping to see his investment appreciate but because of the recession and the spike in crime last year hasn't seen any benefits of buying into Bed-stuy...

Real estate agents and people with agendas really are disgusting because they have no care in the world for the people that are moving in here and are just looking to make a quick buck or see their investments rise while coming at the buyer's expense...

Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM

1,119 posts, read 960,269 times
I agree that crime in Bed-Stuy (and even Clinton Hill and Fort Green) is still very rampant and makes these neighborhoods edgy.

You have to realize tho, crime is not the only determining factor in gentrification. In fact, it can be argued that during gentrification, crime is one of the last pieces of a neighborhood to improve. How can you argue that Bed Stuy is not going through gentrification? It's based on numbers and demographics. Properties have been/are being bought up and developed. Property values and average income levels have been increasing. New demographics are moving in. It might be slow, but no one ever said gentrification was a fast process, especially in a neighborhood like Bed-Stuy.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:18 PM

412 posts, read 755,495 times
Just moved from Jersey City to "DA STUY" and actually I don't have a problem living there.

I'm amazed how as one poster said it has changed. There are alot of different ethnicities walking down Malcolm X Blvd.

Is it still "Ghetto" yes but it's also eclectic. I've never seen so many tea shop, boutiques, antiques shops since I lived in Harlem.

I live on Malcolm X Blvd, two blocks from Fulton and loving it and this isn't my first time living in BK.

I used to live in Crown Heights and hated it, that's the reason I left.

Does Bed-Stuy have its crime issues, yes, but what part of NYC doesn't. Also believe it or not there are WHITE PPL living in BED-STUY!

I mind my business and keep it moving but I'm a NY'er so I'm not bothered by certain things.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:33 PM

20 posts, read 37,566 times
I get my hair done over near Fulton and Nostrand, not far from the shuttle. Been going to this salon since about Jan '10 and it's crazy how many more white people have been steadily creeping into the area in that time. I'm 30 and never thought I'd see the day I would see hipster dbags walking down Fulton St. with skinny jeans and bicycles. White girls in oversized "ironic" t-shirts waiting for the bus by Restoration Plaza. Madness. I also see 50 times more cops in the area now, too. Funny how that works.

These folks are always carrying on about how they don't feel safe around black people but obviously somebody does.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:25 PM

To all those who commented I will give you that yea there is a presence of gentrification in the area... thats obvious and yes there are white people moving into certain blocks and condos but for the most part Bed-stuy remains about 80% Black 15% Hispanic maybe 2% asian and 3% white... and its not like it's well to do Black and Hispanic folk from either Cambria Heights or Glendale... for the most part you have alot of knuckleheads in this area that like to cause problems...

Like we've said it isn't what it used to be. But is it ready to be an area invested in by many? Unless you're interested in losing money, i'd say Bed-stuy is still a long way away from turning up profit or being a safe area...

Condos, cafes, art spots don't equate to less crime and while some people on here say that thats the last thing to change with gentrification, that is the most important thing to focus on...

Old 04-05-2011, 08:06 AM

1,119 posts, read 960,269 times
Perhaps even more than 80% : Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

As far as an investment, I think Bed-Stuy has a lot of upside depending on where you're looking. The south side of Bed-Stuy is situated on the A/C line and minutes from the city. The entire neighborhood has close proximity to the city. Everyone is being priced out of the city, and the market for rentals in Brooklyn is growing. The majority of the houses are beautiful brownstones. And surprisingly there are many proud home-owners, families, and young working class people, who are adding to this neighborhood and trying to instill community values, while decreasing crime and poverty. It still is the hood tho, the ghetto, and there will always be projects there.

I think in the current market, a lot of properties in Bed-Stuy are overpriced and wouldn't be good investments. But recently, prices are starting to come down, so if you can swipe a good deal in one of the many favorable areas, it would surely be a solid long-term investment.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:55 PM

142 posts, read 228,390 times
Like I said, I would love a brownstone there. They're utterly beautiful.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:43 PM

4,526 posts, read 3,539,084 times
I remember a couple years back I was on a crowded train. There were these two skinny, douchebag hipster twerps talking all loud and obnoxiously to each other. One marshmallow asked the other where he's living now. The little prick threw his hands up all ironically gangster like and said in his lispy californian accent "Bed-Stuy, do or die bro!"

I almost pushed through the crowd and choked the life outta him with the pink bandana that was hangin out of the back pocket of his intentionally filthy looking $200 jeans. But that woulda been illegal, so I didn't...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City