Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 12:17 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,427,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
There was one (now closed) thread that all but declared Flatbush, Harlem and Bedstuy as unsafe to appocoliptical portions.

One poster (super mario) said that these areas would never gentrify in this life time, referring to northern Brooklyn as the 'slums'.

I am going to read his post to see if any of the other 'slums' are still affordable for investments. Many of the neighborhoods that he trashed are half way or more to being gentrified.
I feel like anyone who's been paying attention over the last 5+ years should have seen the gentrification coming in these neighborhoods.

I'm not super familiar with Bed Stuy and I want to become familiar with it. I am familiar with Bushwick though and I know the two are considered the hipster hot spots right now, however they also seem like pretty different neighborhoods.

Which sections are the most heavily gentrified (ala Jefferson and Dekalb L stops in Bushwick)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 01:33 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I feel like anyone who's been paying attention over the last 5+ years should have seen the gentrification coming in these neighborhoods.

I'm not super familiar with Bed Stuy and I want to become familiar with it. I am familiar with Bushwick though and I know the two are considered the hipster hot spots right now, however they also seem like pretty different neighborhoods.

Which sections are the most heavily gentrified (ala Jefferson and Dekalb L stops in Bushwick)?
Bedstuy along the G train gentrified first. Now gentrification has gone as far as Utica Avenue on the A train.

People from City Data are often stuck in the 80s in their perceptions of neighborhoods, and many are commenting on neighborhoods they have not been in decades. Any place within 30 minutes of midtown or downtown has some degree of gentrification.

As for Harlem, West Harkem has gentrification all the way up to Washington Heights. East Harlem was more slowly gentrifying, but it too is gentrifying. The city just rezoned East Harlem for development, so gentrification will speed up.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:12 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,144,078 times
Quote:
That 'safe neighborhood' thread inspired me to bump. OP did you buy in Bedstuy?
A friend who bought for less than $700k in this same time period now has comparable property selling for $2 million on the block. I wish I had bought in all these no go zones that so many had labelled little Baghdad.

Never take investment advice from city data. Buy where you can afford.
This thread is hilarious because half these people were so wrong

On the first page someone stated the gentrification boat has sailed and no other neighborhood would gentrify. Fast forward 7 years later lol

Old 12-15-2017, 07:51 PM

8,093 posts, read 6,717,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
This thread is hilarious because half these people were so wrong

On the first page someone stated the gentrification boat has sailed and no other neighborhood would gentrify. Fast forward 7 years later lol
Lol, I saw that too. If the OP would have bought in 2010 he most likely would have doubled his money.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:18 PM

33,866 posts, read 47,070,732 times
Will I get robbed by gunpoint before my house triples in value?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-15-2017, 10:35 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,291,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Will I get robbed by gunpoint before my house triples in value?
Maybe you will, maybe you won't. As long as you are not shot or killed it will be worth it. I will take being robbed in gentrifying neighborhoods for $1 million in equity Alex! Lol

Old 12-15-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Lol, I saw that too. If the OP would have bought in 2010 he most likely would have doubled his money.
Trippled! My friend is sitting on $1.3 million in equity in 6 years.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:39 PM

33,866 posts, read 47,070,732 times
Quote:
Maybe you will, maybe you won't. As long as you are not shot or killed it will be worth it. I will take being robbed in gentrifying neighborhoods for $1 million in equity Alex! Lol
That is actually the right answer! Best thing to tell people now.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to LOVEROFNYC again."

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-15-2017, 11:06 PM

8,093 posts, read 6,717,343 times
Quote:
Trippled! My friend is sitting on $1.3 million in equity in 6 years.
I believe it. I bought in Sty Heights in 04 for 420K and sold in 15 for 1.825M 👍

Old 12-16-2017, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I believe it. I bought in Sty Heights in 04 for 420K and sold in 15 for 1.825M 👍
Isn't gentrification and NYC great?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City