Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 07:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,422 times

Advertisements

I am starting a work around 59th/Lexington in a couple of weeks. I was looking into places to stay. Roughly my budget is $2000 for a 2 bedroom apartment and i am trying to find something within a couple of blocks of the Subway (4,5,6,F,N,Q,W).

Currently I am looking at places in Queens - Astoria(Q & W takes around 12-20 mins) and Forest Hill(F Express Train = 20 mins). What are people's views on these areas? Can people suggest areas i should focus on?

Secondly how difficult is it to get a short term rental say 3 months or a month-to-month lease considering I am new to the city and would rather not lock myself till i know more.

p.s: sorry for the stupid title. i was in the process of changing it when i accidently hit a key which posted.

Last edited by baroda99; 09-14-2010 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 10:49 AM

527 posts, read 1,019,989 times
Forest Hills is a nice area- Austin street is good for shopping and has nice restaurants- me personally would prefer Forest Hills over Astoria, Astoria does have nice sections as well - Im not really sure about the lease with the rentals though, - Dont limit yourself, look at quite a few places in some different areas, I wouldnt want to move again in a few months- maybe get yourself a year lease, it costs so much to pickup and move- Good luck-

Old 09-14-2010, 11:41 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times
Consider the Jackson Heights Historic District. It's one express stop close to Manhattan than Forest Hills and (IMO) a more interesting neighborhood.

If you're close to the 74th St/Bway station, you'll have access to the E, F, N, and M trains, which either bring you directly to 59th/Lexington (N) or within a short walking distance (E, F, M).

The E and F are are express trains, the others are locals. I'd say that the trip is no more than 15 -20 minutes.

I can't comment on the lease situation but you might just stop by the neighborhood, look around, and drop into some real estate offices. There are a few on 37th Avenue.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:42 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baroda99 View Post
I am starting a work around 59th/Lexington in a couple of weeks. I was looking into places to stay. Roughly my budget is $2000 for a 2 bedroom apartment and i am trying to find something within a couple of blocks of the Subway (4,5,6,F,N,Q,W).

Currently I am looking at places in Queens - Astoria(Q & W takes around 12-20 mins) and Forest Hill(F Express Train = 20 mins). What are people's views on these areas? Can people suggest areas i should focus on?

Secondly how difficult is it to get a short term rental say 3 months or a month-to-month lease considering I am new to the city and would rather not lock myself till i know more.

p.s: sorry for the stupid title. i was in the process of changing it when i accidently hit a key which posted.
Both Forest Hills & Astoria are considered to be very good neighborhoods.
Astoria is considered to be trendy with a younger crowd that wants to go out at night.
I would also suggest that you consider Rego Park which is next to Forest Hills and only adds about 10 minutes to the commute to/from Manhattan.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:39 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Consider the Jackson Heights Historic District. It's one express stop close to Manhattan than Forest Hills and (IMO) a more interesting neighborhood.

If you're close to the 74th St/Bway station, you'll have access to the E, F, N, and M trains, which either bring you directly to 59th/Lexington (N) or within a short walking distance (E, F, M).

The E and F are are express trains, the others are locals. I'd say that the trip is no more than 15 -20 minutes.

I can't comment on the lease situation but you might just stop by the neighborhood, look around, and drop into some real estate offices. There are a few on 37th Avenue.
Edit: Sorry, I meant the R, not N train.
If you're close to the 74th St/Bway station, you'll have access to the E, F, R, and M trains, which either bring you directly to 59th/Lexington (R) or within a short walking distance (E, F, M).

Old 09-15-2010, 06:06 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Edit: Sorry, I meant the R, not N train.
If you're close to the 74th St/Bway station, you'll have access to the E, F, R, and M trains, which either bring you directly to 59th/Lexington (R) or within a short walking distance (E, F, M).
Astoria can be accessed from the N or R trains depending where in Astoria one lives.
Any where along on the R train would be a good commute for you (including Astoria, Jackson Heights, Rego Park, & Forest Hills) if you are working near Lexington/59th Street in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City