U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 AM

49 posts, read 95,835 times
Default Brooklyn Heights versus Park Slope

My DH and I are considering a move to NY and are considering Brooklyn Heights or Park Slope. We will have 2 young children in preschool who will be starting elementary school in a few years and we plan on doing private schools but would like the option of a good public school. I'd also like to be close to the subway, restaurants, and amenities for the kids. Our budget is about 900K to 1 million.

I've been doing some research and I'm trying to differentiate between Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope and would love to hear people's perspectives on these neighborhoods. Would it be accurate to say that Brooklyn Heights has better private elementary schools and a more convenient commute downtown while Park Slope has more restaurants and a "neighborhoody" feel.

Thanks for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 11:29 AM

3,370 posts, read 7,158,811 times
I'll go through some of the pros and cons. I used to live in Brooklyn Heights and thought it was a great neighborhood. If you want to live in Brownstone Brooklyn, also take a look at Cobble Hill and Carroll Gardens. Those neighborhoods are similar in character to both Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope.

Brooklyn Heights (compared to Park Slope):
-Right across the river from the Financial District, substantially closer to Midtown.
-Excellent access to a variety of subway lines.
-Neighborhood is uniformly more well-kept and aesthetically beautiful
-There are some good restaurants, but not as many as Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens or Park Slope.
-Fewer families with young children.
-Good access to Brooklyn Bridge Park and Cadman Plaza Park.
-More expensive.

Park Slope (compared to Brooklyn Heights):
-Not nearly as many transit options (fewer subway lines) .
-Harder to get a taxi both from Manhattan and to Manhattan.
-Neighborhood is generally attractive, but the further west and south you go, the less attractive it gets.
-Great selection of restaurants, many with childrens' menus and that welcome kids.
-Packed with families with young children
-Good access to Prospect Park.
-Less expensive.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:20 PM

2,614 posts, read 3,493,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I'll go through some of the pros and cons. I used to live in Brooklyn Heights and thought it was a great neighborhood. If you want to live in Brownstone Brooklyn, also take a look at Cobble Hill and Carroll Gardens. Those neighborhoods are similar in character to both Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope.

Brooklyn Heights (compared to Park Slope):
-Right across the river from the Financial District, substantially closer to Midtown.
-Excellent access to a variety of subway lines.
-Neighborhood is uniformly more well-kept and aesthetically beautiful
-There are some good restaurants, but not as many as Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens or Park Slope.
-Fewer families with young children.
-Good access to Brooklyn Bridge Park and Cadman Plaza Park.
-More expensive.

Park Slope (compared to Brooklyn Heights):
-Not nearly as many transit options (fewer subway lines) .
-Harder to get a taxi both from Manhattan and to Manhattan.
-Neighborhood is generally attractive, but the further west and south you go, the less attractive it gets.
-Great selection of restaurants, many with childrens' menus and that welcome kids.
-Packed with families with young children
-Good access to Prospect Park.
-Less expensive.

Well said. I was (partially) raised in Brooklyn Heights, however you can't go wrong in either places. You should also look into Clinton Hill. Very nice areas as well.

My parents still own a brownstone in Bk Heights (they live in South Fla). They wont sell it for anything. I can't fault them either. Good Luck on your search.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:49 PM

49 posts, read 95,835 times
Thanks for the feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City