Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 12,141 times

Advertisements

Last night Afterwork, Rainy/stormy day at night, I was driving on the street where I lived looking for a parking spot on the left side of the street so that I don't need to move my car tomorrow due to alternate side parking. I saw a spot across my home and also saw a woman talking on the phone on the sidewalk but I didn't mind her and pulled in the spot, as soon as I pulled in, she walked out of the sidewalk and stood in front of my car and moved her finger and yelled at me " move it" and said "are you blind you don't see me standing in the rain holding the spot" (VERY RUDELY - like she is going to attack me (I'm also a woman)). I told her "it's public street parking, first come first serve and you're not even standing on the street to hold the spot, you were talking on the phone on the sidewalk, how am I suppose to know you're holding the spot? And after I parked, you want me to move?" a minute or two later, a car pulled up behind me and honked at me vigorously telling me to move. I didn't move and closed my lights, the man walked out of the car and told me "come on, its raining and my wife is standing in the rain" I didn't move and the woman said with a menacing tone " yeah, park there if you dare to". I didn't mind her and left. Why should I have to look for another spot in a rainy/stormy day after I parked? In addition, waking up earlier in the morning to look for another spot due to alternate parking?

Later, I was informed that they are the rude new neighbor that just moved in across the street just about a week or two ago that threw garbage in front of the house next to them causing our neighbor to have 2 sanitation ticket.

Question:
1) What would you do if you were me?

2) Can I call the cops on her for threatening me because she said " park there if you dare to" ? At home, My husband told me, we have a son and who knows what the crazy new neighbor would do to us..and/or to our car....

3) What am I suppose to do now? or what can I possibly do since it's been a day already?

FYI, my car is still parked on that spot.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 02:34 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,154,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbbjade View Post
Last night Afterwork, Rainy/stormy day at night, I was driving on the street where I lived looking for a parking spot on the left side of the street so that I don't need to move my car tomorrow due to alternate side parking. I saw a spot across my home and also saw a woman talking on the phone on the sidewalk but I didn't mind her and pulled in the spot, as soon as I pulled in, she walked out of the sidewalk and stood in front of my car and moved her finger and yelled at me " move it" and said "are you blind you don't see me standing in the rain holding the spot" (VERY RUDELY - like she is going to attack me (I'm also a woman)). I told her "it's public street parking, first come first serve and you're not even standing on the street to hold the spot, you were talking on the phone on the sidewalk, how am I suppose to know you're holding the spot? And after I parked, you want me to move?" a minute or two later, a car pulled up behind me and honked at me vigorously telling me to move. I didn't move and closed my lights, the man walked out of the car and told me "come on, its raining and my wife is standing in the rain" I didn't move and the woman said with a menacing tone " yeah, park there if you dare to". I didn't mind her and left. Why should I have to look for another spot in a rainy/stormy day after I parked? In addition, waking up earlier in the morning to look for another spot due to alternate parking?

Later, I was informed that they are the rude new neighbor that just moved in across the street just about a week or two ago that threw garbage in front of the house next to them causing our neighbor to have 2 sanitation ticket.

Question:

2) Can I call the cops on her for threatening me because she said " park there if you dare to" ? At home, My husband told me, we have a son and who knows what the crazy new neighbor would do to us..and/or to our car....

3) What am I suppose to do now? or what can I possibly do since it's been a day already?

Pull out your phone, take her picture, then write down their license plate number. When they ask what you are doing, tell them you like to keep records so you know who to report if anything happens to your car. Walk away, if there is any damage the next day, report them to the police.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:37 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,311,009 times
Well whats done is done. In general if they had politely asked me "Sorry I was holding this spot, would you mind moving" or something equivalently courteous, I would have moved the car and went on my way. If they were rude/condescending/loud I would not have moved the car, and made sure to get a picture of both of them and his car/plates. Smile for the camera!*

I would not call the cops, as nothing was done and in all honesty, depending on where you live, if someone says "park if you dare", they are full of it. What neighborhood did this occur in?

*Note if this was your typical free loading/nothing to lose/just got out of jail/drug dealing hoodlum, you move the car and go on your way. It isn't worth the trouble in your life and in all likelihood they will be either dead soon or back in jail, so either way out of your hair.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 12,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Well whats done is done. In general if they had politely asked me "Sorry I was holding this spot, would you mind moving" or something equivalently courteous, I would have moved the car and went on my way. If they were rude/condescending/loud I would not have moved the car, and made sure to get a picture of both of them and his car/plates. Smile for the camera!*

I would not call the cops, as nothing was done and in all honesty, depending on where you live, if someone says "park if you dare", they are full of it. What neighborhood did this occur in?

*Note if this was your typical free loading/nothing to lose/just got out of jail/drug dealing hoodlum, you move the car and go on your way. It isn't worth the trouble in your life and in all likelihood they will be either dead soon or back in jail, so either way out of your hair.

We live in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, it's a nice & quiet neighborhood until this new neighbor moved in.........so we don't know anything about their background....
Sigh....I didn't get picture of them nor their car plate, it was dark and raining cats & dogs.

Should I move my car tonight? or it doesn't make a difference now?

Old 09-15-2010, 08:31 AM

18,359 posts, read 31,435,589 times
Quote:
We live in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, it's a nice & quiet neighborhood until this new neighbor moved in.........so we don't know anything about their background....
Sigh....I didn't get picture of them nor their car plate, it was dark and raining cats & dogs.

Should I move my car tonight? or it doesn't make a difference now?
I live in Bensonhurst also, and I would say tough, your too busy yakking on the phone so tough. I like the op that said take a picture and their license place.

Every block has a crazy person, we have a old lady that will go bizerk if interfere with her parking, we have seen her fight before....not with us of course... LOL

Old 09-15-2010, 08:34 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,769,628 times
You are 100 percent in the right..HOWEVER your OUT OF YOUR MIND to leave your car there with a nut like that!
Your lucky she didnt slash your tires!
It's not worth it---just give her the spot----then come back and slash HER tires!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 AM

531 posts, read 2,892,000 times
I've had same scenario, as have most NYC drivers, I'm guessing. Although usually it's someone in a car and they try and sneak in as you are backing in or something like that. It's amazing how rude people can be and expect you to actually give up the spot!

I'd be more surprised if it didn't happen from time to time. Don't waste anyone's time calling the cops, either move on or hold your ground and know that if the person is truly unbalanced they may do something to your car. Don't take pictures or anything like that.

It's part of living in NYC, like fights over cabs, etc.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:04 PM

160 posts, read 1,677,911 times
Quote:

Question:

if its a nicenighborhood, and that was a white woman, pay her no mind.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:59 PM

650 posts, read 1,321,515 times
1) She would've been flattened to the street or another car.

2) You have every right to call the police. You can't threaten people.

3) I would let it slide for now since it's been a day but if anything happens again then call the police.

Hope all goes well for you.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:51 PM

252 posts, read 604,588 times
if i were you, i would have told her to go f--- herself and walked away. but i would have gone down the block alittle , just so i still watch my car to make sure she didnt touch it.
im surprised she didnt key your car or slash your tires, if she didnt, then she isnt as crazy as you think she is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: