Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:43 PM

5 posts, read 23,401 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

Need some suggestions from you fellows for rental apartments. I'll be commuting to midtown for work. I have a budget of $1100-$1300 for a 1BR apt and deciding on Queens or Brooklyn for an apt. From what I have heard Astoria, Jackson Heights and Forest Hills are pretty good places to live but cannot get any idea about Brooklyn..i mean the good areas for which I need your help. Also I am looking at Craigslist and it seems that a 1 BR apt in Forest Hills is available for as low as $1000 that seems contrary to what I have read here.

It may help to point out that I have very little idea of NYC and its neighborhoods (never been to Queens or Brooklyn) In fact most of it comes from reading forums like these.

So please suggest the areas I should consider according to my budget. Is New Jersey a practical option considering commuting times to Manhattan?

Thanks a ton
Eddie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 07:01 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
The parts of brooklyn that are close to manhattan tend to be alot more expensive than the areas of queens that are close to manhattan. Since you are commuting to midtown, you are better off in queens than in brooklyn (if the goal is to find a nice place for a low budget with a shorter commute time). If commute were not an issue and your budget is $1100-ish in bklyn, I would suggest you try Prospect Lefferts Gardens, Ditmas Park or Bay Ridge. The first two places, if you are near the Q train, should put you into midtown with about a 30 minute ride (that is after you have boarded the train). A commute from any of the places you mentioned in queens is shorter (10-20 minutes once boarding the train) and I think the neighborhoods are more interesting/nicer than the ones I mentioned in brooklyn.

I don't know rental prices in Forest Hills but $1000 sounds low for a one-bdr. On the other hand, a friend just got a one bedroom in Astoria for $1000 so who knows. I do know that realtors LOVE to stretch the boundaries of neighborhoods so the 'forest hills' apartment you are looking at may actually be in a bordering area and not forest hills. The map is your friend. So is 'street view' on google maps (only in nyc and a few other places). try it.

not familiar w/ nj but my impression is that hoboken is easily accessible to midtown.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:45 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Take a look at the following Brooklyn neighborhoods: Greenpoint--off the G line but a quick transfer of 5-7 mins to the city. Prices are going up and some areas have Manhattan-type prices, but overall the 'hood is very European and safe and has some undiscovered areas of lower rental prices. Bushwick--off the L train and very up-and-coming area. Cheap rents can be found. But the neighborhood is not 100% there and areas can be sketch and questionable safety--not terrible though. Williamsburg (East)--you may still be able to find a 1300 deal towards the 5th or 6th stop off the L train.
Queens--Ridgewood--very old established 'hood with a trade-off of lower priced apts but with a walk of several more blocks to the train. Astoria--very convenient to city--about 15 min commute. Cheaper prices but have risen in past couple years.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:54 AM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
The earlier poster mentioned Bay Ridge.
We moved to Bay Ridge after being priced out of Park Slope.
It take me about 30 minutes to Union Square.
However, it is a fairly diverse area with great shopping and restaurants.
Street life is not Manhattan, but is fairly active.
Great promenade with views of Manhattan, Jersey City and Staten Island.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:22 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
true - bay ridge is a nice neighborhood with lots of great restaurants and a beautiful view of the water. pleasant place. The times I was quoting for subway rides for the other places I mentioned were to travel to midtown and not to union sq. And of course I may be a bit off on some of the times, but I think they are fairly accurate.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:13 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
Henna

You are right of course. I just know that I have heard everything from 14 street to 59th street described as midtown. So, I thought I would give a specific subway stop.
BTW-You are so right about the real-estate listings pushing the boundaries of areas to make a place seem more appealing. We looked at a place that was advertised as Pacific Heights, and it was in the dead center of Crown Heights when we got there. I've seen places near the Gowanas advertised at Park Slope. NOT.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:05 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
Henna

You are right of course. I just know that I have heard everything from 14 street to 59th street described as midtown. So, I thought I would give a specific subway stop.
BTW-You are so right about the real-estate listings pushing the boundaries of areas to make a place seem more appealing. We looked at a place that was advertised as Pacific Heights, and it was in the dead center of Crown Heights when we got there. I've seen places near the Gowanas advertised at Park Slope. NOT.
1. midtown is 34 to 59 st, 8th ave to 3rd ave

2. never believe a real estate agent, always demand the address before going to see a place, and then mapquest it.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:42 PM

319 posts, read 1,250,194 times
and also don't listen to real estate agents who say that bushwick is "up and coming" - if you don't know the area it's very unsafe. for the umpteenth time, there is no "east williamsburg" - it's bushwick. and sadly you're probably priced out of there anyway. i'd go with bay ridge - it's a bit further commute, but it's nice - but you would be closer in parts of queens and the N/R are not always most reliable trains (slow). i'd visit both areas and see what you like.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:07 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
and also don't listen to real estate agents who say that bushwick is "up and coming" - if you don't know the area it's very unsafe. for the umpteenth time, there is no "east williamsburg" - it's bushwick. and sadly you're probably priced out of there anyway. i'd go with bay ridge - it's a bit further commute, but it's nice - but you would be closer in parts of queens and the N/R are not always most reliable trains (slow). i'd visit both areas and see what you like.
n= never
r= rarely

Old 06-27-2007, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 23,401 times
Hi All
Well thanks for your answers!! You people are very helpful
There is also an option of staying at White Plains. I will direct my question in a thread that talks about that area. But if anyone is familiar with White Plains then can you tell me if a car is absolutely essential for grocery,shops restaurants etc. basically moving here and there outside work life.

Eddie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: