Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 11:11 AM

177 posts, read 857,436 times

Advertisements

Is NY better for raising toddlers, elementary school age children compared to the southern states - Texas, Louisiana, Kansas, Arkansas ?

More stuff to do for kids - more enriching life ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 12:01 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Personally, being born, raised, and largely educated in NYC, absolutely. I went to Young People's concerts at Carnegie Hall, saw My Fair Lady in its original Broadway run with Rex Harrison and Julie Andrews, went to the Thanksgiving Day parade every year. I grew up thinking that it's NORMAL to have a city populated by people who come from all over the world, speak multiple languages and eat things other than hamburgers. Hands down, a GREAT place for kids to grow up. There are also multiple opportunities for community service for kids growing up: volunteering in hospitals, schools, etc., making it apparent that there are also the less fortunate.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:15 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob View Post
Is NY better for raising toddlers, elementary school age children compared to the southern states - Texas, Louisiana, Kansas, Arkansas ?

More stuff to do for kids - more enriching life ?
it's a very interesting place for a kid to grow up, and it helps of the parents are fairly wealthy so as to be able to afford the many opportunities. Private school is almost a must and in manhattan tuition can be insanely expensive.
So if you are well to do, NYC is am ok place for a kid.
If you want more a traditionl situation for bringing up kids or if you're not wealthy you might want to consider those other places.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:24 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Its only a nice place to raise kids if you are upper-middle or upper class.

Lower-class people make due on all of the handouts and welfare programs, but they aren't raising any rocket scientists in the PJs, so don't expect much.

The Middle class are really the people getting screwed in this whole situation because the public schools aren't really that good, and public school tuition is too expensive for your average middle class family. As a result middle class families continue to flee the city in droves.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:16 PM

Define upper-middle and upper class ?

How much household income ?

Old 06-30-2007, 09:32 PM

And why is private schools a must in NY ?

I thought all over the country public schools are decent. At least down here in Texas, they are ok, thats what I hear.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:43 PM

I see 30 public elementary schools listed on greatschools.net which are ranked 8 or more in NY city. Why is private education a must then ?

I dont see many good schools in jersey city though.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:46 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
By NYC standards to live comfortably in Manhatan I think you need a combined income of at least around $150k-$200k a year. In the outer boroughs though you can easily have a fairly comfortable lifestyle on $75k-$100k a year.

The public schools in NYC are pretty bad. During grade school they're usually decent, but after that, in Middle School and High School, things tend to take a turn for the worse. A lot of the problems with the schools could be changed if there was a return back to regular neighborhood schools. That's not going to happen anytime soon though, mainly for political reasons.

Actually one of the High Schools in Jersey City is consistently ranked as the best public school in the state of NJ. The name of it escapes me now though. This school in JC, like Bedford Stuyvesant and Bronx Science are public schools that have an application/admissions process. Thats the reason they are ranked so high

Old 06-30-2007, 09:46 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
There has to be more than 30. I'm applying for teaching jobs all over the boroughs and I've seen way more schools with 8/10s.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:12 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
You have to be able to afford an apartment in the areas of those good schools. For example, for P.S. 6, a one bedroom apartment can EASILY run to 700,000 to well over a million dollars. It all depends on the neighborhood....That's why private schools are overflowing. Also, the middle schools are pretty awful. However, getting into a private school is no piece of cake - the kids have to take the ERB test, go for an interview, etc. And competition is fierce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City