Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:32 AM

17 posts, read 26,066 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to NYC (2 months ago) and wanted to share my thoughts as an "outsider" that moved here.

Many people (myself included) think New York City is made up of nothing but RUDE, obnoxious, and 'tough' people. Based on TV, or movies, the media, etc., many are led to believe the most people in NYC are unhappy, nasty people caught up in the "rat race" of living in the "concrete jungle" of the world's most densely populated metropolis.

After just a short amount of time of living here, I can now say that all of that is a LOAD OF B.S. It couldn't be further from the truth. Sure, there are rude, unhappy, obnoxious people in ANY city, but this is greatly exaggerated when it comes to NYC.

Because there are so many people living in NYC, practically everywhere you go you will be amongst a crowd of people. And when you're amongst a crowd of people (i.e. strangers) it can be a LONELY and ISOLATED feeling. It's just natural. And it's only natural to think that all those people don't give a crap about you and only care about themselves; which makes you feel like they are unhappy and you are unwanted.

I honestly think that NYers are some of the nicest people around. What makes NYers special is that because of the unique, highly populated environment in which they live, they realize that "everyone is in this together" and it wouldn't work unless everyone appreciated that reality.

What tourists (or NY newbies) need to know, in my opinion, is that you reap what you sow. If you want NYers to appear more friendly, then take the initiative and be openly friendly to someone - a cab driver, a waiter, a doorman, etc. I find that using the simple line of "so how's your day going?" really gets a great response from most people. And certainly not everyone you ask that to you is going to give you a "happy, chatty" response, but you'd be surprised. I've had some great conversations with strangers just by asking that.

I find NYers incredibly HELPFUL if you need help. With directions, advice, etc. Again, I think it goes back to the fact that they realize everyone needs to find a way to coexist in this densely populated metropolis or it wouldn't work.

What really drove this point home for me was about a week ago... I saw a guy fall off his bike in the street. It wasn't a major accident or anything, but he fell of his bike and got a little scratched up. What was amazing to see is that no less than 5 people IMMEDIATELY rushed up to him to make sure he was okay. Even after he walked his bike over to the side of the street and took a seat on the curb to take a break, multiple people kept going over to him to again ask if he was okay and if he needed anything.

Anyway, just some thoughts I wanted to share of my own personal experience with NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 07:27 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,654,506 times
I disagree

Old 09-18-2010, 08:45 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,563,915 times
I don't disagree

Old 09-18-2010, 08:52 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,520,041 times
Born and raised in the south, I definitely heard my share of negative NYC and northern stereotypes. After visiting the city and living there for a while I agree with you that nothing can be further from the truth. New Yorkers are some of the nicest, most helpful people out there.

A lot of people mistake assertiveness for rudeness. You have to be assertive in a city as large and as busy as NYC to survive. I encounter far more rudeness on a regular basis in Atlanta than I ever did in New York. I'm not saying New Yorkers don't have the capability to be rude, but I think it's more of a matter of misinterpretation and outsiders refusing to take the city's unique environment into account.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:57 AM

756 posts, read 2,274,685 times
I absolutely agree.

In fact, my boyfriend and I were just talking the other day about how incredibly friendly New Yorkers are to one another.

I find tourists to be rude and disrespectful 99 percent of the time. If they're rude, I'm rude. However, I will gladly give directions, make small talk, etc., if someone is kind and polite.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:34 AM

412 posts, read 1,324,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
I absolutely agree.

In fact, my boyfriend and I were just talking the other day about how incredibly friendly New Yorkers are to one another.

I find tourists to be rude and disrespectful 99 percent of the time. If they're rude, I'm rude. However, I will gladly give directions, make small talk, etc., if someone is kind and polite.
Totally agree with you, some tourist will step on your foot on the train and either act like they didn't or look at you and not say sorry or excuse me.

If you want to be rude, then guess what you are going to get back.

I give directions all the time, it's not a problem.

I even had a conversatioin on the train with a group of teens on a senior trip from Mississippi and they were telling me about their experience here.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 AM

241 posts, read 730,692 times
We've got the toughest exterior with the softest interior-enough said!

Old 09-20-2010, 01:19 PM

160 posts, read 1,678,470 times
it simply based on where you live. Some places if you even look up at a person your gonna get an smack or worse. Thats messed up. In prospect heights, I have met gangstas who are will to take time out to warn you of the enviorment. I consider that to be nice.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:42 AM

50 posts, read 110,757 times
I agree as well. There are definitely those who fit the stereotype, but for the most part I think New Yorkers love where they are and are therefore happy friendly people. I recently moved from New York to Austin which is supposed to be one of the friendliest cities in America. I admit I notice a difference, but not in intention just in applcation. People down south are just extremely outgoing about their friendliness. Up north we're more introverted about it and southerners are used to their form of friendliness and find us rude.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:36 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,919,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
it simply based on where you live. Some places if you even look up at a person your gonna get an smack or worse. Thats messed up. In prospect heights, I have met gangstas who are will to take time out to warn you of the enviorment. I consider that to be nice.

So you are saying to walk with your head down in NYC or get smacked in some places???? Where might this be because I have never heard, seen or participated in such smackings!!!

As far as the OP stated about NYers.. I do feel like we are always in a rush which plays a huge role for us in being nice.. It’s like a lot of folks have no time to be nice.. We are too busy to take 2 seconds out to do a good deed! .. Sometimes I only wish NYers would take a little more time in being more patient!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City