Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:50 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTown View Post
I left NY, moved to Chicago and have never looked back. Think of a place that offers everything NYC does, at 2/3rds the price, friendlier people, brisk pace but not overwhelming pace, and 10X cleaner than NYC. That's Chicago in a nutshell.
Interesting perspective because I have a lot of relatives that left Chicago and would never put one foot back in that city. They describe it as dirty and full of crime. One of them told me the neighborhood she lived in had so many gangs you had to be careful what color shirt you wore outside so you wouldn't be mistaken for a gang member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 12:55 PM

4 posts, read 4,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Interesting perspective because I have a lot of relatives that left Chicago and would never put one foot back in that city. They describe it as dirty and full of crime. One of them told me the neighborhood she lived in had so many gangs you had to be careful what color shirt you wore outside so you wouldn't be mistaken for a gang member.

Chicago dirty? BBWAAHH. Your screename shows your biasedness. The crime ridden parts of Chicago with gangs are the south side ghettos. Any middle class area and above puts NYC to shame.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:53 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
If all that were true...and Chicago were all those things...why does everyone continue to go to NYC? Why is the population continuing to grow in NYC? Why haven't the major financial institutions moved to Chicago? Why is NYC still the financial and economic engine of the US? Chicago is a dying city that is becoming overwhelmed with crime, while NYC continues to reinvent itself, as it does repeatedly. You can believe otherwise, but you will only be fooling yourself.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:18 PM

43 posts, read 82,960 times
The only time I ever fantasize and dream about packing up and leaving NYC is in the summer when the heat and humidity eat me alive. Then fall comes and I'm happy again.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:54 PM

25 posts, read 36,463 times
Hehe. I don't think it's my destiny per se, but I don't see myself moving anywhere in the states from NYC. I love traveling though.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:15 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Destiny is a very (overly?) dramatic word.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:28 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
If all that were true...and Chicago were all those things...why does everyone continue to go to NYC? Why is the population continuing to grow in NYC? Why haven't the major financial institutions moved to Chicago? Why is NYC still the financial and economic engine of the US? Chicago is a dying city that is becoming overwhelmed with crime, while NYC continues to reinvent itself, as it does repeatedly. You can believe otherwise, but you will only be fooling yourself.
Okay..well although crime has gone down I'll be the first to admit there are still some torn up neighborhoods with alot issues(gangs esp.) , like all cities. Corruption, traffic ect. . However Chicago is NOT a dying city and . Have you been there ever? Cause if you are saying and you havent been it is YOU who is fooling yourself

Old 09-20-2010, 06:29 PM

85 posts, read 415,519 times
NYC is a unique place. To those who have never lived here it is looked at in awe. But to live here as an adult with responsibilities becomes a grind unless you make an income that allows you to avoid the umpteen annoyances us middle class folks have to deal with daily.

I'm not one of those people who believes in class warfare nonsense stuff, but NYC truly does cater to the rich and the poor, with the middle class left struggling.

Personally, the commute/ traffic is my biggest gripe here. I laugh when I hear people in other cities such as San Diego complain about traffic. Obviously, housing costs are too high here as well.

Someday I'll get out of here...

Old 09-20-2010, 07:31 PM

65 posts, read 186,606 times
As much as I love NY, and everything it has to offer, I will be leaving once I retire in less than 10 years. I dont think I want to spend the rest of my life here. My parents just retired to Arizona and bought a huge house with 4 bedrooms, a pool and jacuzzi for under $145k. I hope to do the same someday :-)

Old 09-20-2010, 11:14 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
I moved out of NYC at age 27 and still come back a few times a year to visit family and friends. Everytime I walk around (especially in Manhatten) I stop and think "can I live here again" and the answer is a resounding NO! Too crowded with horrible traffic among other things. Not too mention, now that I live in another state, i realize that things that are considered luxuries in NYC are considered the norm in other places i.e jobs that provide parking; houses/apt's that provide parking; apt. complexes that come with pools; cheap car insurance; streets that actually allow u to park on them w/o 10 different signs trying to trick you; affordable housing ect... As a young person NYC was cool but as an adult who has the responsibilty of paying bills..I just can't do it again. To move back here would just leave m complaining too much. Also, I couldnt imagine sending my kids to school on the subway as my parents had to do for me and my brother, no thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City