U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 09:26 PM

16 posts, read 13,983 times

Advertisements

I'd love to hear some feedback on this. I've been living in or near this city on and off my whole life. I've now turned 41 and find myself in the last few months itchy to move out. I feel like the city and perhaps myself, have changed greatly. It just feels claustrophobic and loud to me lately.
While, I am still single and living in a 2x4 in midtown, I feel like there just has to be more to life than this city. But at the same time, it's just such a hard place to leave. I feel like I've convinced myself that I want to go but at the same time have scared myself into believing I could never really leave.
Are there any other singles out there that find themselves in almost midlife thinking is this place where I really want to be forever? Does your job hold you here?
Anyone else have dreams of wanderlust? Just quitting your job, picking it up and moving away? And if so, where would you go?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 PM

13,205 posts, read 15,618,464 times
Philosophical issue choice to leave or destined to stay. Some times I think about this to myself and with other people I know who also want to get out of nyc. There are opposites of us who want to come to nyc from across the country and globe as its the last shimmering beacon of light, but in reality its not espicially for most of us. I spent the first quarter of my life here in nyc and I also want to spend the next quater or chapter of mylife somewhere else. Its not easy packing bags and starting life again somewhere else, looking for a job and as we get older it becomes more harder to make friends because everyone have differernt mind sets and they stick with that mind set until death.I'm at work right now myself, at least I can drink a beer at the front desk and relax unlike that guy at the jet blue terminal at jfk last month. Leaving anywhere is not easy its best to do it out of desperiation like immigrants. Sometimes it takes time, perfection and execution and most notably expectations to move. I will leave nyc eventually, I'm not compelled to stay unless if I was a moneyed person. I guess sometimes change is good for the heart mind and soul. In a couple of days I'm taking a break from nyc, my second trip this year and a third one coming up in a few weeks. A good thing I'm single I can spend money on myself to travel. I hope I can leave nyc before bloombucks leave office if he ever does.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 09-20-2010 at 12:00 AM..

Old 09-20-2010, 01:13 AM

11,164 posts, read 15,299,573 times
Yes, I really want to move out of NY period. It's been done to death, for the past year or two I've just been like ugh. It'll always be my home state & city but it's time to go and I don't want to live in NY again.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:16 AM
grant516

n/a posts
I like the line, 'there has to be more to life than this city'.

Obviously there is. A great big world. Check it .

Old 09-20-2010, 10:31 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,369,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaNote View Post
Anyone else have dreams of wanderlust? Just quitting your job, picking it up and moving away? And if so, where would you go?
indeed i do. i would pack my stuff and move to san diego in 1 heartbeat. in fact im just waiting for my wife to agree to it. sell my house and all. good bye east coast.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:42 AM

442 posts, read 1,076,701 times
I'm always thinking of places to go, but can't seem to find a good match. I don't hate ny but I'm always thinking of another place to move to. fam and friends here tho so makes it tough. I don't think the dream place is in this country cus I've seen most of the us and it's nothin special imo. Then if you leave the country u never see family and friends blah blah blah that's what I say anyways

Old 09-20-2010, 11:41 AM

5 posts, read 5,542 times
Aside from all the food to eat, what does NYC have? Restrictive laws, astronomical taxes, a broken public transportation system, a terrible education system (13 years in NYC K-12), crime problems...

Old 09-20-2010, 12:15 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyears View Post
Aside from all the food to eat, what does NYC have? Restrictive laws, astronomical taxes, a broken public transportation system, a terrible education system (13 years in NYC K-12), crime problems...
Fantastic Pay Opportunities, Beautiful Views of Central Park and City Skylines, Amazing Private schools and Universities, good social interaction with important & influential neighbors.

... there's plenty going for NYC if you're wealthy enough to not have to face the rough stuff.

In the real world where the majority of us live- I'll give NY(C) credit for this, and only this. It's one of the few places in the US where you can catch a direct flight to nearly anywhere in the world- for the lowest pricepoint possible.

It's something you DO miss when you're elsewhere.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:32 PM

17 posts, read 32,043 times
I've flirted with the idea of moving to a number of cities, but it always comes back to New York.

I seriously cannot come up with a reason significant enough to not move there.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:39 PM

4 posts, read 3,156 times
I left NY, moved to Chicago and have never looked back. Think of a place that offers everything NYC does, at 2/3rds the price, friendlier people, brisk pace but not overwhelming pace, and 10X cleaner than NYC. That's Chicago in a nutshell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City