Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:39 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,199,313 times

Advertisements

bumped, for this epic pwnage...

Last edited by availableusername; 12-09-2010 at 07:53 PM..

Old 12-09-2010, 11:41 PM

9 posts, read 12,105 times
I don't live in NY, but visit the city alot. I reside in Pa and like to comment on some things. Shutting down a fire dept. is a bad thing to do. You close a dept down in one section of the city you need to wait for the next do dept. to respond. When you are in a burning building, having a heart attack the time it will take for that other company to respond can affect alot of things. People can die, homes can be loss. Remember seconds count in an emergancy. That person having a heart attack could die cause of having to wait for that other company cause the one right down the road was closed.
I am a vol firefighter her in Pa. Supervisors on the board of the township wanted to play this lets find were we can cut and save money. our dept was a mix of paid and vol firefighters. they decide to start with step one get rid of the paid crew. Now you gotta wait for the vollies to get to the station and staff the rigs and get them out. In my county you have 3 mins to respond if your not responding they will realert you giving 2 more mins thats 5 mins your taking from someones life or home being saved cause theres no one there staff to get the trucks out. after 5 mins they go to next do company were you gotta wait the 5 mins for them to get out unless your in that area that theres a staff company near. Then you gotta wait on the travle time. So after cutting the staff they decide hey lets just close the dept down pay a company near by x amount of dollars a month to provide emergency services to the residents. Homes burnt to the ground cause of waiting for companies to get to the fire.

Some of the members applied for grants to buy a rig rent a building and we open our own dept to protect our people.
living in the rual area we started to get developments with residents from Maryland moving here because the taxes are cheaper. 90% of the buyers are blacks from Maryland. We did a member drive and a fund drive. and from the blacks populations we got the door slammed in our faces and no support
I dunno if a 5th grader can pass our test or not, but we spend hundreds of hours in classes to become a Vollie its the same class that our paid crews take. I visited many FDNY depts on my trips to ny and the firefighters there are busy its not sitting around waiting for the alarm they was doing work on the equipment training cleaning and repair to the building they work hard and put their life on the line.
Those who think different remember that the next time you need pulled from a burning building, cut out of a car, rescued from some awful accident or need help because your having a heart attack

Old 12-09-2010, 11:50 PM

Yeah landerson, it really is unbelievable how uninformed a lot of people are. As evidenced by this thread. It boggles the mind really....

Old 12-10-2010, 07:15 AM

13 posts, read 21,971 times
i've seen them around 42nd street, but my local fire department seems pretty diverse, they have an asian, a few hispanics and one black.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:56 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,344,300 times
I am all for keeping fire departments open...and a great way to do that is to make some concessions so that all firemen can have jobs. If the firemen can take pay cuts, or reduced pensions, we can all have 100% fully staffed fire departments.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:14 PM

87 posts, read 227,601 times
. I have 3 in my family who were FDNY.. we had this conversation many times before...get your shift right and some guys were living in PA and even delaware haha

Old 12-10-2010, 01:48 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,344,300 times
I am not surprised...the abuses by these firemen are atrocious...and the fact that they care nothing for NYC or its residents is just one part of the abuse. They just want to milk the system. And their attitude was best described by Captshiner as "haha"

Old 12-10-2010, 05:22 PM

172 posts, read 447,333 times
Hey BitterbroGuy.... "and the fact that they care nothing for NYC or its residents is just one part of the abuse"..... so I risk my life every tour, but I don't care for NYC or its residents? c'mon guy.

You really are clueless.... stop with your nonsense alredy coming on here and acting like you know it all! Go up to the next fireman and tell him how you feel, you have probably never spoke to one.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:23 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,052,021 times
SobroGuy shouldn't be too hard to spot in the South Bronx. For starters, his home doesn't have any doorbells on the outside and he gets home delivery of the Wall St Journal....

Old 12-10-2010, 07:46 PM

Hey bombero, if you'll notice over the last couple pages; SoBroGuy completely dicktucked on every point I wanted him to counter in regards to the other issue. Doesn't surprise me in the least though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City