Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:40 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,219 times

Advertisements

WOW you copy/pasted one of your older posts. Good job, buddy!! I'm proud of you for figuring out the copy/paste function. I can do it to. Refer to my post after this one, I'll give it a whirl.....

So yeah, the very liberal Voice tells you in PART of the this article that the dept is overwhelmingly white and has been for some time. Uhhhhhh yeah, no ****. Thanks.

What you have very obviously and very painfully not been able to comprehend is, ya know, the entire point of the article. The city has bent over backwards so far to the point of basically being able to lick their own arse, to try and please the vulcan's. And it paid off. There were lots of good, smart, strong african american candidates ready to tear it up at the academy. But this was not good enough for the vulcan's, an organization who doesn't even know when to change a smoke alarm at their building. They want to continue to whine and play the race card and not consider themselves equal for whatever reason and only hold their potential members back in this world.

Oh and when it comes to other major departments who have upped their numbers? Every one of them have used quotas. Is this honestly a good solution in your eyes? And when it comes to you thinking that all other groups of people (who are far less represented) are claiming discrimination? Well my dude, you need to work on your reading comprehension. This has never been documented, because it is not the case. Good effort though on your part. I guess.

So again, maybe go back and read the article again and not just those same 3 small paragraphs that you enjoy copy/pasting so much. You'll see that the city is doing everything it can to give african americans an "equal shot"; whereas I would say an unfair advantage.

So anywho, here's my copy/paste....

Old 12-29-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
WOW.......where to start.

Okay let me really quick just say good job on completely dicktucking on pretty much any issue I addressed in previous posts. I guess that was to be expected.

Let me first start off by addressing your unbelievably absurd notion that "there are preferences for those who have relatives already in the department" when it comes to hiring. Look, you can try and tell me that this went on back in the day. I've heard it all before. But this has never been proven. I can easily say the same about corrections. You see how easy that is?? But for you to sit here and try to claim that this goes on nowadays is the epitome of ignorance when it comes to civil service. There are pasty, white irish battalion chiefs who have had sons on these lists that never made it on due to them not scoring high enough to get reached. There are most likely several on this current list that just became invalidated. I am fairly positive that you won't believe that, or want to even entertain that thought. But nevertheless I can care less what you believe. It is true. These are facts.

Now I notice that the majority of your post was a history lesson on racism that has taken place in this country (and world) over the past however many hundred years. Thank you, I was not aware of all that (/sarcasm). Buddy, racism unfortunately has been around and will continue to be around. There will always be close minded, ignorant bigots that will continue to blindly hate no matter what. There will always be whites who hate blacks. There will always be blacks who hate whites. There will always be spanish who hate blacks. There will always be whites who hate spanish. There will always be asians who hate blacks. You get the picture?? It's a sad, terrible goddamn malfunction that is ingrained in a lot of people. I wish more than anything that it wasn't that way, but I am a realist.

But we are simply talking about the city of new york on this thread and their civil service testing system. Yes. IT IS A MERITOCRACY. It seems very clear to me now that you are the one who indeed has no idea how the hiring process works ( I can break it down for you if you want, just let me know), contrary to what you said in your post about me. Tell me something. How did the african americans and latinos who are currently on the job get to where they are? It's very simple. The same exact way anyone else did. Hard work, dedication, and a true desire to want nothing else in the universe but to get on the job. I am truly baffled at how you cannot understand this or why you close your mind to it. In fact, the latino fraternal organization in the dept. has come out a good few times condemning any lawsuits and stating that they want no part of it. The farthest they feel it should go is heavier recruiting, which I already stated I agree is just fine.

To give somebody a crutch when they don't have any injuries seems kind of ridiculous right?? Why then, do you want to teach your children that they are essentially not as smart as other people in this world? Why do you want to teach them that in order to get something that you want, you should sell yourself short and have the system cater to you because you are less of a man or a woman? This creates a vicious cycle of low self esteem that will continue to come full circle again and again. That mentality needs to change. You do your children a disservice by perpetuating it.

So yes, going back to what you said, things were completely ****ed up back in the day. I don't see how anybody could try and deny that. I sure as hell never tried to. My grandparents were also persecuted when they came to this country and lived in deplorable conditions. But yes, it is 2010 now not the 1960's. Things have indeed changed. If you want things to be equal, you have to act equal. And when it comes to city jobs like this, once again IT IS A MERITOCRACY . Dr. King said that one day he hoped we could judge a man by the content of his character, and not the color of his skin. Well the time is upon us. Why then are you arguing against those principles? They seem to be the most logical words spoken about the subject. One could argue that any of the affirmative action policies that jobs and universities use around the country complete contradict those beliefs. But like you said, that is another thread altogether.

So yeah, if you want something bad enough, we do all have the same opportunity. I did not come from money. I went to public schools just like anyone. I had no goddamn silver spoons fed into my mouth. I started working on the books when I was 14 yrs old because I had to make my own way. In order to better yourself, YOU need to take action and do it. Sure that varies greatly from individual to individual. But to blame others when you don't get your way is childish.

And just to wrap it up for now, a couple things I guess I need to address. First of all, the entrance exam is not at a 5th grade reading level. That previous poster said that sarcastically hinting at the fact that the test has been "dumbed down" so much due to, you guessed it, lawsuits. The test is in reality at I believe a 10th grade reading level. So if you keep talking trash about this 5th grade reading level test, you can blame the individuals who sued the city over and over again.

Also, I use the word "minority" because that is the common word to use when speaking about this racial issue. It is what is always printed in the media, on the news, etc. So sorry if you find that incorrect. It is just easier and quicker to write than "african americans, latinos, etc..." And by the way while we're on the subject. Isn't it interesting how there are far less Asians in the dept that african americans and latinos?? There is indeed a large population in this city. How about middle easterners? Indians?? No law suits there, even though there are huge populations of them in the city. Once again......THEY DON'T WANT THE JOB, SO THEY DON'T SIGN UP TO TAKE IT!!! It shouldn't be so hard for such a smart guy such as yourself to comprehend this earth shattering notion.

And if you're thinking that NYPD is more diverse now because they got sued and use racial quotas? Well that is just once again dead wrong. And if that were the case, you think that is right?? That could not be more insulting to the hard working members of the force.

Oh yeah, and your volunteer long island fire depts analogy. They don't give tests for volunteer depts, so that discussion does not really make sense. So if any people of color wanted to come from brooklyn or the bronx to volunteer out in long island, they are more than welcome. I really can't see why anyone would want to though.....

So in conclusion (for now I'm sure), you seem to be the one who is greatly deluded. You very much seem to have the wool over your eyes. And I find it very sad for OUR future generations to come.

p.s. Telling me to "turn off fox news" is beyond lame. Please try and be a little more witty than that if you're gonna go that route.....

Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Sorry dude...trying to blame the Vulcan's for why the fire dept is the way it is? Really? Yes, everyone is convinced it's the fire dept who are the true victims here...by those evil Blacks...the Vulcans. Of course, what other story would you try to pass off. Keep rewriting history...good luck with that.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Sorry dude...trying to blame the Vulcan's for why the fire dept is the way it is? Really? Yes, everyone is convinced it's the fire dept who are the true victims here...by those evil Blacks...the Vulcans. Of course, what other story would you try to pass off. Keep rewriting history...good luck with that.
LOL

Blaming the Vulcan's for why the dept is the way it is did I? I think not, friend. I am blaming them for holding back progress, which is EXACTLY what they are doing.

The fire department are the true victims here is what I said?? Wrong again. The true victims here are the candidates OF EVERY COLOR who have spent years preparing themselves for this career, only to be denied that oppurtunity due to a select few cry babies.

"Evil Blacks" is what I said?? Boy oh boy this is getting painful. I have done NOTHING on this thread other than praise african americans as a whole for being smart enough and strong willed enough to do anything and everything than anybody else in this world wants to. Whereas you are basically belittling them and saying that special circumstances need to be made because their skin is darker.

Do those two holes under your forehead function properly? Jesus, buddy.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:07 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
We are back to a stalemate...and now you are blaming the Vulcans for the fire dept's lack of diversity. Right. Clearly this thread should be closed. We will live to fight another day...let's start a new thread...this one is stale.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
We are back to a stalemate...and now you are blaming the Vulcans for the fire dept's lack of diversity. Right. Clearly this thread should be closed. We will live to fight another day...let's start a new thread...this one is stale.
Granted it is only you and I arguing. I agree with you on that.

That said, the only thing stale about it is you not being able to come back with any legitimate arguments. And the fact that you constantly mis-paraphrase me. That's a pretty goddamn stale thing to do buddy.....

Also what would this new thread be??

"Why african americans should be given special preference for anything they want to do in this world"??

Last edited by availableusername; 12-29-2010 at 10:21 AM..

Old 12-29-2010, 11:17 AM

That's what I thought, smart guy.....

Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
This entire thread has been a waste of time to read because SoBro hijacked it with his race-baiting crap (nobody ever complains that the NBA is 91% black), and nobody bothered to answer the OP's original question, which I'd also like to know the answer to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleOrange View Post
I have noticed that the NYFD has a bunch of hiring booths/tables around the subway stations. Have you seen them in your area? If so, what gives? I thought that it was extremely difficult to land a position in the NYFD and they only did their "real" hiring once every few years. I thought we were also in the middle of the great depression...so are they toying with us or are there really a need for fire fighters? I know it's not the easiest job, but from what I have heard/seen, many people would love to join.
This reminded me of the hiring lines for elevator tech jobs several months ago: everybody gets to stand in line for hours to fill out an app but only a handful get a call-back for apprenticeship, and even that won't guarantee you landing an elevator tech job.

To me it seems like these hiring tables and exhibits are a scam; unions are required by law to make their jobs available to everyone every couple of years so this is how they do it.

It like job expos and fairs. I don't know anybody who actually landed a real job after attending one of those things. They are designed for companies to expand their pool of potential talent. Your name and resume are added to a slush pile of hundreds of other names and resumes. That's about it.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:48 AM

You're right on the money, renault. But to be fair, I think I answered the OP's question early in the thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
nobody answered the op's question. im curious to know the answer

Quote:
Alrighty....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleOrange View Post
I have noticed that the NYFD has a bunch of hiring booths/tables around the subway stations. Have you seen them in your area? If so, what gives? I thought that it was extremely difficult to land a position in the NYFD and they only did their "real" hiring once every few years. I thought we were also in the middle of the great depression...so are they toying with us or are there really a need for fire fighters? I know it's not the easiest job, but from what I have heard/seen, many people would love to join.

Quote:
The recruitment that the city does when a new test rounds the corner is biggest crock of sh@t money waster that they can possibly do. There are literally thousands upon thousands of potential candidates (of any race, gender, orientation, etc....) that wait patiently for a new test to come around. This is one of the most highly sought after city jobs. Having to recruit is a f@cking showcase that the city has to do in order to show that they are trying to diversify. But that is fine, honestly. Recruit til you wits end. But that is where it stops. If people want this job, they come get it with full force like a goddamn pitbull. It is very competitive and you have to work hard to get it.

And yes, there is a need for firefighters right now. At this point the city is probably down well over 300 in headcount. And this was all ready to be filled with an academy class right up until the race-baiting Vulcan society had a radical Judge put a stop to it. And there were a good number of well-qualified, stand up minority candidates who would be in these next few classes that are now caught in limbo because of this nonsense. Guys and gals that truly desire the job, and worked hard to get where they were.

And if by "'real' hiring once every few years" the OP is suggesting that hiring happens for people who have connections to the job often and unbeknownst to the public? Well that is just another aspect where the public is GROSSLY mis-informed about the dept, and it is truly truly sad......

Old 12-29-2010, 01:59 PM

122 posts, read 210,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Add teachers to the list.
Am really getting tired of fellow teachers from Westchester who have nothing but contempt for their students,are counting the days to retirement and who can't seem to get to work if there is an inch of snow.
They take their paychecks and spend them in Nyack.They do nothing for the system or the city.

You can thank the Unions, with all the power they hold, for all of this. And our politicians for allowing it to happen, in the first place. When I used to work in NJ, I meet lots of NYC workers living in NJ, living incognito.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City