U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-01-2007, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,043 times
Cool New Job in NYC

Where could a single professional lady buy a safe place to live within 1 hour commute on public transportation to/from Penn Station? I am not at all familiar with NY or surrounds. I can spend about $650K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-01-2007, 01:41 PM

1,434 posts, read 4,238,180 times
Yes, you can.

All I really know is Brooklyn, so I can't tell you much about the other boroughs other than relatively superficiall impressions.

Forget Staten Island. It's too far. You have to use a boat in addition to the train. The boat ride is fun, but it is time-comsuming. I do know someone, though, who used to commute from Staten Island to the Bronx. On public transportation.

I live in southern Brooklyn, and I can get to Penn Station in about an hour, maybe more.

There are lots of places in Brooklyn that are within your price range and also your commuting time range.

Brooklyn is very different from Manhattan. It iis largely a residential borough, with distinct neighborhoods. A few, such as Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights, are very cospmopolitan. And very expensive. Other neighborhoods are often ethnic. For example, Greenpoint is largely Polish. Bedford Stuyvesant is largely African American. Borough Park is largely Orthodox Jewish. Brighton Beach is largely Russian. Other neighborhoods are Italian, etc. But the neighborhoods are not exclusive; you would not usually be rejected or abused if you are not of the prevailing ethnic group. Some neighborhoods are high crime areas and are best avoided. There are a few areas in Brooklyn that are very pretty, even beautiful, but a lot of Brooklyn is dreary and ugly.

Whatever, Queens also has some nice areas, although I don't know it nearly as well as I know Brooklyn.

In Brooklyn they are building condos wherever they fit. There is a tremendous demand for housing in Brooklyn. But a condo may be a good deal. There are also older apartment buildings where people are now able to buy their apartments.

There are other places you can live for that money, even in Manhattan. But if you want Manhattan, you have to be willing to live in a very small space. Your commute would probably be simple and easy, though. I saw a sign in Greenwich Village for a studio apartment for sale. I don't remember the asking price, but it was less than your $650K.

Don't automatically rule out New Jersey or Westchester. or even Long Island. There are some nice areas in New Jersey that are accessible by the PATH train. Other posters can probably provide more information about this.

Be careful if you have pets. Make sure that a condo or apartment will allow you to have them. A private home, as opposed to a condo or apartment involves more freedom, but also more work and responsibility. And you can buy a private home in Brooklyn for your $650K.

Good luck.

Last edited by arel; 07-01-2007 at 01:56 PM..

Unread 07-01-2007, 02:21 PM

2,806 posts, read 11,071,534 times
Well very good post Arel, but you forgot to mention that the trains from both NJ & LI go directly to Penn Station. So I think they would be obvious places to look if the OP is considering the burbs.

Unread 07-01-2007, 03:36 PM

7,081 posts, read 22,414,694 times
If you want to live in Manhattan you can afford a 1 bedroom apartment in that price range. Not a huge one, but definitely a 1 bedroom.

Unread 07-02-2007, 05:40 AM

1,434 posts, read 4,238,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Well very good post Arel, but you forgot to mention that the trains from both NJ & LI go directly to Penn Station. So I think they would be obvious places to look if the OP is considering the burbs.
I was not sure which trains go to Penn Station, as I have pretty much only used Amtrak. I do know that the PATH train goes to some nice places in NJ and that trains from Westchester go to Grand Central. I wasn't sure if the PATH train goes to Penn Station. When I used the PATH, I took it from the World Trade Center.

Unread 07-02-2007, 05:56 AM

2,806 posts, read 11,071,534 times
All NJ Transit Trains and LIRR trains going into the city terminate at Penn Station. This will change in a couple of years with the Eastside access project to allow LIRR trains into Grand Central.

A lot of PATH trains go next door to Penn Station as the last stop on that line directly outside of Penn Station. The other line of the PATH, as you mentioned, ends at the WTC.

Unread 07-02-2007, 06:40 AM

1,346 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
All NJ Transit Trains and LIRR trains going into the city terminate at Penn Station. This will change in a couple of years with the Eastside access project to allow LIRR trains into Grand Central.

A lot of PATH trains go next door to Penn Station as the last stop on that line directly outside of Penn Station. The other line of the PATH, as you mentioned, ends at the WTC.
not quite correct, penn sta ny is between 31 and 33 st from 7th to 8th ave.
path terminates at 33 st and 6th ave, one long block to the east of penn sta.

Unread 07-02-2007, 04:43 PM

314 posts
i agree with mead. if you're looking to buy property and don't mind a 1-hr/each way commute, then you have a lot of options. you could look as far out as the princeton junction stop area on the njt.

Unread 07-02-2007, 06:16 PM

26 posts, read 92,245 times
Default Where to live ... a few options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gloria View Post
Where could a single professional lady buy a safe place to live within 1 hour commute on public transportation to/from Penn Station? I am not at all familiar with NY or surrounds. I can spend about $650K.
Well, I happen to have lived in many places (too many) I relocate often due to work and field I am in (I am a Professor and frequently have year exchanges etc...) Also, my family owns developmetn compnaies in Toronto (I am originally Canadian - have been in the USA for over 12 years now) - Okay here is what I honestly suggest for a single professional lady - looking for safe: For your price range and commute time you have MANY options. Let me first say, that the burroughs are very nice - esp. Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope - but they are pricey - and I lived in Brooklyn, I would only live in those areas and they may not be in your price range to buy - but check. Any other burroughs I would avoid - Brooklyn is charming (again, Park Slope and the Heights). Queens is not as charming but if you buy a home near a school you can finish the basement and rent it out for extra income - very common in Queens. Staten Island is quiet and nice - but a longer commute - you likely need a car and very few singles there - mostly families. CT is also very nice - Stamford - and Greenwich - look onto the metro north website (google it) and look at the train line an then cehck the travel times for each - I think they go into grand central - and then from grand central it is another 10 mins (including walking to Penn). However, here is my first choice: Jersey City. It is well within your price range - you can get anice condo for 400,000 or even less they are building like crazy - I would look at a building called "The Beacon"

The Beacon

for example but there are many more - even check Hoboken - the resale value will be high - and it will be filled with other single professionals - the space will not be huge (what condo is really) and the commute path train goes right into Penn for $1.50 and in 15 mins or so. The trains run all night and are very safe. I would think of the resale value since the market is up and down. As far as Princeton, NJ - I lived there and loved it - but the commute by the time you get to the station, and drive there since no-one will live right next to it - it took me 2 hours and that was the express amtrak train to get into Penn Station ... but I did love the area but $$$. I am not sure if I was of any help - if you want an urban feel - Jersey City (you will not get quality for that price in NYC) - if you want eclectic then Brooklyn - if you want more Nature, I would go for CT. When you research commute times make sure you take in account travel to the station, walking etc. Good luck! I have to leave NYC (for now) and I really don't want to - relocating to VA and am having a hard time with it - New Yorkers are VERY friendly - don't let others make you think otherwise - I love these people

ps: sorry about the spelling errors I can't run spell check here ....

Unread 07-12-2007, 12:41 PM

91 posts, read 196,844 times
Smile 1 prospect park sw brooklyn 11215

my daughter just left an apt. at this address as it was going co-op. It's a great location, looking out on the park. the subway is right there as are many restaurants, stores, and a movie theater. there is horseback ridding, ice rink, and various concerts, fairs ect.right accross the street in the park. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City