Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:40 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times

Advertisements

Okay, has anyone else had this happen to them lately? You buy something at a store and when the cashier gives you your change, they fold the paper money in half and hand it to you and put the change part on top? So weird! I've had this happen to me several times at different locations --- twice yesterday --- and it's strange.

I've only had this happen to me in NYC. Anywhere else, never.

When I get my money back, I prefer the change part first, then the bills flat so I can quickly count them to make sure they're all there and put them in my wallet. I liked the "old days" when the cashier actually gave you your change and then the counted the bills for you. For example, (the change makes) "seven" (then the bills) "eight, nine, ten, and ten makes twenty" This way you're seeing your change counted in front of you and you don't have to fumble around counting it while other people are waiting and you can get out of the store quicker.

These days, the register does the math for the cashier and they just hand you a wad of bills folded up and plop the receipt and change on top of that so now you have to fumble everything around to put your money away, etc.

I just find it annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 03:45 PM

876 posts, read 2,141,696 times
Sounds like gang signs to me. Who you ride with?

Old 09-26-2010, 04:34 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
I tried to GIVE a folded 5 to a toll collector on The Whitestone Bridge recently and boy did she let me have it ! I actually thought it would be easier for her and me but she glared at me and sternly told me "we don't accept folded bills!" Later, I realized that there is a sign that says " NO FOLDED BILLS."
I don't own a car and don't drive much so I was an innocent.

So you are not the only one who doesn't like them.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Sounds like gang signs to me. Who you ride with?

LOL!!! The NYC Mamas --- we are one tough group of mommies!!!!

Old 09-26-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I tried to GIVE a folded 5 to a toll collector on The Whitestone Bridge recently and boy did she let me have it ! I actually thought it would be easier for her and me but she glared at me and sternly told me "we don't accept folded bills!" Later, I realized that there is a sign that says " NO FOLDED BILLS."
I don't own a car and don't drive much so I was an innocent.

So you are not the only one who doesn't like them.
I can see why they wouldn't accept them at a toll lane (or any register, really since they have to UNFOLD it to put it in the cash drawer).

I just don't get this thing with the folded bills --- the first time, it was at Calvin Klein. I thought maybe it's a "thing" at those type stores. Then I had it happen at Duane Reade. Another time at a food cart in Central Park. It's been happening a lot lately and I just find it very weird.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:55 PM

23 posts, read 100,883 times
LOL, thats the new york way, been here for most my life. but yeah it is a bit annoying

Old 09-26-2010, 04:57 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
I somehow didn't get the impression it was annoyance at the bill being folded because they had to put it in a drawer.It was only folded in 1/2.
I think they are more afraid of getting fake or partial bills,which is what probably really bothers you too. You don't really know what you are getting unless you can easily see the whole thing.....especially from a car passing through.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QNZ20 View Post
LOL, thats the new york way, been here for most my life. but yeah it is a bit annoying

I'm 48 years old and have NEVER had this happen up until lately ---- the past 6 months or so.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:30 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
I never thought about it as a particular phenomenon, but now that you bring it up...yes, that's the way I get my change at the supermarket. (They also seem to put the receipt between the bills and the coins, which I find annoying).

Old 09-27-2010, 09:53 AM

412 posts, read 1,326,751 times
I don't have a problem with being handed folded bills back but I do have a problem when I'm handing them my money or debit/credit card and they place it on the counter instead of handing it back to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City