Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 04:29 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
Yeah I miss the crackheads, the garbage, and worrying about who was walking behind you. Moderator cut: Language
Because crackheads, garbage and robberies have completely disappeared...right.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-04-2010 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 06:23 PM

93 posts, read 246,959 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned quote

lol Puerto Ricans are US citizens. Dominicans, Mexicans and other South American countries are the illegals. South Bronx is Puerto Rican and Tremont/Fordham is Dominican. Corona, Jackson Heights out in Queens is all Dominicans, Columbians, Mexicans, etc.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-04-2010 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Orphaned quote removed

Old 10-01-2010, 06:33 PM

40 posts, read 214,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huang_Lee View Post
lol Puerto Ricans are US citizens. Dominicans, Mexicans and other South American countries are the illegals. South Bronx is Puerto Rican and Tremont/Fordham is Dominican. Corona, Jackson Heights out in Queens is all Dominicans, Columbians, Mexicans, etc.
So the Bronx is just Puerto Ricans and Dominicans?

Old 10-01-2010, 07:48 PM

Mostly. On the 4, below Burnside. On the BD below Tremont. On the 25 below E 180. Is majority Puerto Rican and into Parkchester and Soundview. Its what is referred to as South Bronx.

Above that to the west of Bronx Park up to Kingsbridge Road is majority Dominican. Of course, there is the Italian area of Belmont cozed up between Bronx Park and the LIRR.

Of course there are couple Mexicans that mix in with the two aforementioned nationalities.

http://www.nysubway.com/map/zoom-bronx.html (broken link)

Old 10-01-2010, 07:56 PM

65 posts, read 461,003 times
To Huang Lee,'

Granted its not the most diverse place the Bronx has many ethnicities/nationalities... Italians, Irish, Albanians, African americans, Jamaicans, Ricans, dominicans, Cambodians and vietnamese (like. The user u responded too.)

Irish, Italian, Ricans and Blacks all have established neighborhoods.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:51 PM

Yeah I know.

Italians are up in Belmont. Irish are up in Woodlawn. Albanians have Pelham Parkway, Pelham Bay. Jamaicans have their community in Wakefield and Eastchester. And I believe Co-Op City is African-American if not Jamaican.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:10 AM

506 posts, read 1,313,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Because crackheads, garbage and robberies have completely disappeared...right.
I don't know how old you are but it was worse by a factor of ten.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:51 AM

423 posts, read 1,281,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
I don't know how old you are but it was worse by a factor of ten.
What you said made it seem like those things don't exist anymore.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:33 PM

3 posts, read 4,521 times
I grew up in Brooklyn and know how you feel. It's becoming a total hipster infested mess. The Real Brooklyn I knew was Block Parties and kids playing in the street. I've never experienced any violence but I've heard stories from my grandfather about his troubles as the only italian/spanish boy on the block in the 50s! I grew up in Borough Park and can't stand the chinese take over as well! It's nice to see some old Brooklyn still alive. Brooklyn is slowly becoming the new Manhattan and I hope it's just a phase.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:00 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Maybe, before mocking old NY, we should mention which generation of old NY we are talking about (40's,50's,60's,70's.....etc) and working from there. The Brooklyn in pre-1980 was very different than now. We were brought up to be street smart. Any fights that occurred were not with guns. We didn't trust the Police (70 pct in my case) to much because they were more dangerous than any criminal was. As kids we walked to school numerous blocks without parents(never knew of any kids disappearring). We played in the streets (car drivers were more patient as we moved out of the way). As we grew up we could hang out till late at night (and there were adult groups who hung out too). From my point of view our neighborhood (mixed race) was a safe blue collar area. That being said NYC neighborhoods has always been changing approx every two generations. Its called the ripple effect. The way it used to be (upwards of the Russian influx in the mid-70's) a generation of immigrants moved in, got jobs, built up equity and moved on to the next ripple. They had kids and the kids moved further out. Once we got into the 80's there was no mass influx of immigrants, so neighnorhoods became poorer and had no growth. And once that area hit its all time low Gentrification came into play and we all know what happened from there forward.

Another problem we have now is TMI (Too Much Information). Out perception differs greatly from actuality of information. Thus numerous people have a skewed perception compared to actual reality mainly due to statical overload.

Except for normal business trips to NYC, upwards of 2009, I used to spend a week in Brighton Beach and I really didn't notice much of a change over a 25 year period. I walked the area as late as 1am without any issues. The only thing that I noticed was that there were no kids in the streets playing and there were none in the school yards hanging out or playing late night basketball.

All that said I too would perfer the freedoms I had in the 70's. But as per the ripple effect I moved forward and to the South (400ish miles).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City