Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 06:02 PM

319 posts, read 493,650 times

Advertisements

Here are some pics I took of Bensonhurst (Or, as the locals call it, 'Bensonhoist')

Sorry about this one.

That's basically what you would see if you were to visit the area.

Oh, and for those who don't know, Bensonhurst is located in Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 10:31 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Bensonhurst is a very nice & affordable area. However, the Italian people seem to be fleeing from there over to Staten Island like its going out of style or something.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:56 AM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
^^^^ Still?, I thought that trend is stabilizing.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:01 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
I haven't noticed any stop to the hemorraging of white people all over Southern Brooklyn. Someone else from Bensonhurst will have to chime in as to whether this is still going on there.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:09 AM

I'm not sure if its the Italians leaving, or the Chinese spreading...

But, in recent years theres been a mix of nationalities here. Unheard of 20 years ago.

Lots of Russians, Albanians, Ukrainians, Bosnians, Macedonians, Serbs

Old 07-03-2007, 06:22 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
I'm not sure if its the Italians leaving, or the Chinese spreading...

But, in recent years theres been a mix of nationalities here. Unheard of 20 years ago.

Lots of Russians, Albanians, Ukrainians, Bosnians, Macedonians, Serbs
I thought I saw a sign on bay parkway that said will the last white person please turn off the lights

Old 07-03-2007, 08:18 AM

314 posts, read 492,279 times
thank you for posting those pics. i'm in NC for the summer, and i can't wait to get home. unfortunately, whites are leaving bensonhurst in droves. i moved to bay ridge, but many others have left for SI or jersey. i'm thinking of moving back to b-hurst just to do my part to reverse the trend. i hate the thought of a bunch of scumbags turning that neighborhood into a hole.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
thank you for posting those pics. i'm in NC for the summer, and i can't wait to get home. unfortunately, whites are leaving bensonhurst in droves. i moved to bay ridge, but many others have left for SI or jersey. i'm thinking of moving back to b-hurst just to do my part to reverse the trend. i hate the thought of a bunch of scumbags turning that neighborhood into a hole.
I wouldn't call them scumbags. The neighborhood is about as safe today as it ever was. There isn't really any increase in crime in the area. The neighborhood's demographics are just changing rapidly. More diversity. Isn't that what NYC is all about?

Old 07-03-2007, 10:03 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,392 times
I worked in Bensonhurst from 1982 thru 1988. I was a single guy working on 86th street. I used to go out after work and cruise around the nieborhood with some of my cugine friends I got to know. It was a great place. It seemed to me like it changed around 95. Now it almost doesent even look the same.

I hope Bay Ridge can hold on. But it dosent look good for there either. Most of the people I know there were calling it Bay Ruit. Sometimes change is a good thing and sometimes its not. In the cases of Bensonhurst and Bay Ridge it seems like its not.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
I worked in Bensonhurst from 1982 thru 1988. I was a single guy working on 86th street. I used to go out after work and cruise around the nieborhood with some of my cugine friends I got to know. It was a great place. It seemed to me like it changed around 95. Now it almost doesent even look the same.

I hope Bay Ridge can hold on. But it dosent look good for there either. Most of the people I know there were calling it Bay Ruit. Sometimes change is a good thing and sometimes its not. In the cases of Bensonhurst and Bay Ridge it seems like its not.
Bay Ridge is way, WAY more hipster/yuppie oriented than Bensonhurst. A lot of little coffee houses popping up on 3rd, 4th, 5th avenues. I'm pretty sure it's the next Park Slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City