U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2010, 10:25 PM

10,253 posts, read 18,468,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
In my opinion, there's worse on Staten Island than Parkhill. Parkhill is just the marquee "bad" neighborhood that people who rarely go deep into the North Shore fear and talk about the most (not saying this applies to you, you're from Queens so it's a different perspective), largely because supposedly it was really really live in the 80's. You see the same thing with the Jersey Street area in New Brighton. The funniest is since there's a whole population of Staten Islanders who literally only go above the expressway to go to the ferry terminal, they automatically think that the St. George/Tompkinsville area where the ferry's located is Detroit or something just because it looks like Beirut compared to their neighborhoods, lol. But those areas really aren't half as bad as several other North Shore areas.

Overall though, crime on North Staten Island is hard to trace because the crime-plagued areas on the far North Side share a precinct with the much tamer, middle-class areas directly south of them, which are just as big, so when they roll out those "_____ amount of crimes per 100,000 residents" stats, things can easily get skewed.

The basic breakdown is: Mariners Harbor, Arlington (sometimes considered a subdivision of Mariners Harbor), Port Richmond, West Brighton, New Brighton, Stapleton and Parkhill (usually considered a subdivision of Concord but nobody cares) are widely considered to be the "bad" areas.

Elm Park, St. George and Tompinsville are the ehhh, not great but not terrible areas.

And the rest of the Island is pretty much fair game other than like 4-block radiuses here and there.

At the end of the day though, with Staten Island neighborhoods being so much smaller than those in the other boroughs and with the whole precinct boundary hurdle, it's really really hard to compare and contrast our neighborhoods with the rest of the city, whether it be positively or negatively.
never been to mariners harbor PJs or port richmond but i hear they're crappy....been to park hill, richmond terrace PJs, stapleton, west brighton PJs in my jaunts to SI. i dont even think ive ever been south of the expressway in my life lol. tell me about todt hill, south beach and the berries if u can.

and u touched on arlington ive heard arlington terrace is the hood 2

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 10-01-2010 at 10:34 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 11:17 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 525,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
never been to mariners harbor PJs or port richmond but i hear they're crappy....been to park hill, richmond terrace PJs, stapleton, west brighton PJs in my jaunts to SI. i dont even think ive ever been south of the expressway in my life lol. tell me about todt hill, south beach and the berries if u can.

and u touched on arlington ive heard arlington terrace is the hood 2

I've got family and friends that live in all the North Shore projects (plus the Arlington Terrace Apartments) and they're all pretty comparable in crime and quality of life. Obviously some are worse than others depending on the given year but none stand head and shoulders above the others. Though Parkhill (which aren't really projects, they were privately built and are privately owned but are ran by the city so then again they kind of are projects, lol) and Stapleton seem to get perceived the worst, along with anything that sounds anything close to "Jersey Street," lol. The others aren't too far behind though.

And yeah, the Arlington Terrace Apartments (which also aren't projects but rather four 13-story buildings of low-income housing) are just as bad as any of the projects on the Island.

The Todt Hill projects and to a lesser extent the South Beach projects have to be among the safest in the city. The Berry Homes are slightly more shady but still quite nice by project standards and the surrounding areas of all 3 are nice, which isn't the case with the North Shore projects. The white and elderly populations of those 3 projects below the expressway are also much much more defined than those above it. A fact the city will swear is a coincidence...

Old 10-03-2010, 08:21 AM

91 posts, read 161,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

Again,for anyone who hasn't seen it,here is a 2008 NYC crime map.The areas colored the darkest are the highest crime sections of the city.
http://nymag.com/docs/08/01/080114crimemaps.pdf
If you look closely you will see that EHarlem,Midtown South and Lower East Side are darker( by one shade) than anywhere in The South Bronx.

What is the neighborhood below jamaica on that map that doesn't seem to have a name printed on it?

That map is interesting, but it doesn't take into account neighborhoods that have a mixture of high and low crime areas, creating a lower crime concentration overall, but the more crime ridden-parts of the neighborhood, taken by themselves, would look much worse. With that in mind, the East village, then would be even worse than it looks on this map.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:02 AM

6,596 posts, read 11,350,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allygory View Post
What is the neighborhood below jamaica on that map that doesn't seem to have a name printed on it?........
It's the 113th precinct,also known as South Jamaica.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 AM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 525,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
In the middle of Beekman housing tenements by a Church there is a towering police tower that provides 360 degree survilance of the area.

Ugh, those things are so useless. They've had one in my neighborhood on-and-off for the last two and a half years (there's actually one out here now) and I've never seen anyone feel safer because of them. Criminals just move over a block. In fact, recently for a while there were TWO of them out here at the same time clogging up the streets and people took that even less serious. I swear criminals are a million times more afraid of large amounts of undercover detectives darting all around. At least they're mobile.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:51 AM

952 posts, read 1,380,559 times
As for most dangerous, by Borough:

Manhattan:
East Harlem
Some parts of Wash Heights east of Broadway, I stress "some"
Central Harlem (Lenox ave above 135th)
L.E.S., specifically around Ave D and the projects

Brooklyn:
Bed Stuy, east of Nostrand or Myrtle
The whole of Brownsville especially around Van Dyke and Brownsville Houses
Most of East New York
the 90's around Rutland (is it safer now? that one could be outdated)
Flatbush E. 21st to Nostrand especially around Newkirk
Crown Heights (this is like a checkerboard, hmm, Albany, Utica south of EAstern Pkwy, everything east of Utica), other parts but someone else will probably be more accurate b/c whats dangerous to others aren't to me.

Queens:
The Bridge (Queensbridge Houses in L.I.C.)
South Jamaica (esp, around Baisley Park and the 40 pj's) ride through Guy R. Brewer below Jamaica ave.
Far Rockaway (Red Fern Projects, Mott Ave, from the B40's-80's, projects from Edgemere to the Hammels in that area, Hammels are the worst)
I would say Lefrak section of Corona, however that could be out of date now.

Bronx: (someone correct me if I'm wrong here, I admittedly have a bias against the Bronx as a whole, these are observations from when I have gone)
Hunts Point
Mott Haven
Morrisiana
South West Bronx (esp Webster Ave, Jerome etc.)
Staten Island:
Port Richmond (shameless hate crimes)
Stapleton and Parkhill (or maybe I listen to too much Wu-tang)

Old 10-03-2010, 10:58 AM

10,253 posts, read 18,468,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post

Manhattan:
East Harlem

Brooklyn:
Most of East New York
Crown Heights (this is like a checkerboard, hmm, Albany, Utica south of EAstern Pkwy, everything east of Utica), other parts but someone else will probably be more accurate b/c whats dangerous to others aren't to me.

Queens:
South Jamaica (esp, around Baisley Park and the 40 pj's) ride through Guy R. Brewer below Jamaica ave.
Far Rockaway (Red Fern Projects, Mott Ave, from the B40's-80's, projects from Edgemere to the Hammels in that area, Hammels are the worst)

Bronx: (someone correct me if I'm wrong here, I admittedly have a bias against the Bronx as a whole, these are observations from when I have gone)
Hunts Point
Mott Haven
Morrisiana
Staten Island:
pretty much accurate. for queens i would add a few parts of hollis. and i will edit the far rockaway part hammels actually isnt the worst, it has and always will be edgemere/arverne, then redfern tied with the 40eez for second, then hammels, 71-15 is last

brooklyn 90s is still crazy....the whole e 21st street from newkirk avenue north to caton/crooke ave is arguably the most dangerous street in flatbush

bronx add pretty much everything in the area: south - burnside av north - fordham east - concourse west - jerome

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 10-03-2010 at 11:14 AM..

Old 10-03-2010, 12:02 PM

6,838 posts, read 6,851,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allygory View Post
What is the neighborhood below jamaica on that map that doesn't seem to have a name printed on it?

That map is interesting, but it doesn't take into account neighborhoods that have a mixture of high and low crime areas, creating a lower crime concentration overall, but the more crime ridden-parts of the neighborhood, taken by themselves, would look much worse. With that in mind, the East village, then would be even worse than it looks on this map.
thats exactly how it is for coney island. coney island is pretty ruff but the surround areas are pretty nice so the 60th precinct doesn't show as high crime. or that's what i believe.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:04 PM

6,838 posts, read 6,851,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post

Manhattan:
East Harlem

Brooklyn:
Most of East New York

Queens:

Hunts Point
Mott Haven
Morrisiana
Staten Island:

rutland , east new york ave , winthrop , clarkson in the 90,s are still sketchy. crime is lower but stuff still pop off in those parts.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:45 PM

5,095 posts, read 11,783,805 times
Bronx:

Any south Bronx housing project( or sorrounding areas).

The area south of Bronx zoo. (Lambert Pj's, Southern BLVD, West Farms)

W 183rd st & Grand/Davidson ave. (include W 190th)

E 194th - E 196th Valentine & Decatur.

White Plains Road north of Gun Hill.

W Burnside ave Loring & Andrews and again on Grand & Davidson.

E Tremont ave & Walton.

the W 160's (Macombs, Woodycrest, Nelson etc)

The immediate area of the 46th precinct (Ryer, Valentine, Thebout & E 180's)

E Kingsbridge road & Morris/Creston.

W 176th st & University ave.

E 180's and Hughes/Monterrey (East Tremont area)

W 190th -W 192nd & Aqueduct ave

Stratford, Elder, Manor ..south of E 172nd.

Watson ave and all Soundview Pj's.

Hunts Point.

Intervale & E 165th.

Knox and Gates (West Gunhill area)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a bunch more that I am missing but the above is where I have personally experienced some kind of hell.

Last edited by SuperMario; 10-03-2010 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City