U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 AM

1,919 posts, read 3,147,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
flatlands is actually very safe

Flatlands isn't low income. I was talking about ares such as Brownsville or ENY.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 01:00 AM

6,838 posts, read 7,020,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Flatlands isn't low income. I was talking about ares such as Brownsville or ENY.
na i know exactly what you mean i was just kidding with you.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 PM

9,396 posts, read 16,003,951 times
Moderator's Note: The topic of this thread, per the OP, is: Roughest Part of NYC. Personal arguments, attacks, parallel discussions of topics unrelated to discussions of a neighborhood are off-topic and have been removed from this thread. Please stay on-topic, and report any problems rather than responding and contributing to a flame war. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-16-2010, 03:50 AM

3 posts, read 18,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Because the media chooses to focus on their favorite high crime areas(in Brooklyn and The Bronx). Nobody wants to admit or advertise the fact that parts of Manhattan can be just as bad or worse.It wouldn't be good for the tourist or real estate industries for people to know that all of Manhattan isn't safe and gentrified.It makes everyone feel better to think that the only crime in NYC is "out there" somewhere away from where anyone has to worry about it.

Again,for anyone who hasn't seen it,here is a 2008 NYC crime map.The areas colored the darkest are the highest crime sections of the city.
http://nymag.com/docs/08/01/080114crimemaps.pdf
If you look closely you will see that EHarlem,Midtown South and Lower East Side are darker( by one shade) than anywhere in The South Bronx.

And I know the map is a few years old but really,nothing has changed much.The highest crime areas have been the same areas for a long time and probably will be for a long time.The highest crime areas trade places for the title and for 2nd,3rd,4th and 5th positions each year but they don't generally fall off the list, except over a very long period of time.
Thanks for the map. It has definetly helped me a lot in my research. Thanks! x

Old 10-16-2010, 03:52 AM

3 posts, read 18,376 times
Thanks for all your help from everyone! Cheers a lot. x

Old 10-16-2010, 10:30 PM

23 posts, read 25,279 times
Bronx
Morrisania
Soundview
Mott Haven
Edenwald
Fordham-Bedford
Kingsbridge Heights
Hunts Point
Brooklyn
Brownsville
East New York
Crown Heights
Bushwick
Bedford Stuyvesant
Coney Island
Queens
Jamaica
Long Island City (Queensbridge)
Corona
Manhattan
East Harlem
Inwood
Parts of Washington Heights
Alphabet City
Staten Island
Stapleton
Port Richmond
Morrisania of course we know is notorious the poorest neighborhood in New York. Soundview is a crime and project ridden neighborhood. Mott Haven also project ridden, very high HS drop out rates. Edenwald as said earlier use to be crack city but is still pretty bad. Feels weird at night you feel like your the only one there for miles. Fordham Bedford also has a similar feel pretty dangerous by the train tracks. Also on Fordham avoid Briggs by the Library. Kingsbridge Heights dangerous around Webb, Sedgwick and Davidson. Hunts Point is scary looking all around. Brownsville probably the most dangerous neighborhood in the city. East New York horrible as well there aren't many high rise projects but their are row houses. I remember in 06 the New York Times reports that ENY is getting better and may become the next Red Hook. 7 days later 12 murders occur within a week. Bed Stuy is getting better but it was hot during the summer. Don't know much about Queens. Inwood is DRUG CITY the worst streets are Nagle, Post, Vermylia, Dyckman, Sherman, 207 Street. Washington Heights is bad in the 160/170's and Audubon. Staten Island yeah Stapleton is a bad area yeah Stapleton from Wu Tang Clan lol. Its worst by the Stapleton Houses, Broad Street, Vanderbilt by the hospital. And Port Richmond has been plagued by prostitution, drugs and racism there has been a lot of tension between blacks and hispanics.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:39 PM

26 posts, read 30,424 times
i disagree, washington heights is a bit like hialeah in miami, it looks dangerous but its actually safe the people and area are just a bit trashy

Old 11-14-2010, 08:25 PM

971 posts, read 884,129 times
i thought flatlands was bad...

Old 11-14-2010, 08:50 PM

10,356 posts, read 18,817,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
i thought flatlands was bad...
no, flatlands is not a bad area. average middle class neighborhood.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-15-2010, 06:56 PM

971 posts, read 884,129 times
hmm...well, live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City