Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 05:54 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,748,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
You forgot The Lower East Side and Midtown North, both of which are always on the list of the top 5 highest crime precincts in the city.

Interestingly,of the 5 highest crime precincts in the city,3 are in Manhattan.
E Harlem,Midtown North and Lower East Side.

I would agree that E New York and Brownsville are probably the most dangerous.

Is East Harlem the same as Spanish Harlem. The Pleasant Ave. area isn't that bad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 06:07 PM

65 posts, read 459,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Is East Harlem the same as Spanish Harlem. The Pleasant Ave. area isn't that bad.
Yes East Harlem, Spanish Harlem and Italian Harlem are all one in the same... Pleasant ave in the heart of Italian Harlem. ALOT of pizzerias and stuff my uncle lives over there still a good amount of Italians...

Old 09-30-2010, 06:46 PM

423 posts, read 1,276,264 times
Take a walk down Mother Gaston Boulevard in Brownsville or Rutland Road in the 90s. The blocks in Crown Heights south of Albany(I think?) projects like St Johns Pl, Lincoln Pl on like Troy avenue are horrible! Too.

One strip in Bed Stuy on Nostrand near lexington, greene, gates are really bad too. East 21st and basically a LOT of that surrounding area in Flatbush is pretty eeeesh too. (east 18th, east 19th, ocean ave)

Old 09-30-2010, 11:02 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,330,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
You forgot The Lower East Side and Midtown North, both of which are always on the list of the top 5 highest crime precincts in the city.

Interestingly,of the 5 highest crime precincts in the city,3 are in Manhattan.
E Harlem,Midtown North and Lower East Side.

I would agree that E New York and Brownsville are probably the most dangerous.
i was going to name a lot of other parts but i was afraid someone might come in here with the gentrification crap.

but your right i worked in the lower east side and avenue D in alphebet city is very hood. and also in eastern sections of crown heights franklin ave is a very crime ridden street also , same as bedford.

and what exactly is high crime in the lower east side? because besides last week i haven't heard crime stories about the LES in a hot minute.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish22 View Post
Oh yeah---that place used to be a JUNGLE in the late 80s.
It's a little better now---but that used to be crack -central.
my friend who lives across the street tells me its still a little bit crazy cant trust that place walking alone at night.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreatness555 View Post
Yes East Harlem, Spanish Harlem and Italian Harlem are all one in the same... Pleasant ave in the heart of Italian Harlem. ALOT of pizzerias and stuff my uncle lives over there still a good amount of Italians...
theirs still italians in east Harlem? you sure?

Old 10-01-2010, 07:28 AM

9,239 posts, read 23,970,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post

and what exactly is high crime in the lower east side? because besides last week i haven't heard crime stories about the LES in a hot minute.
Because the media chooses to focus on their favorite high crime areas(in Brooklyn and The Bronx). Nobody wants to admit or advertise the fact that parts of Manhattan can be just as bad or worse.It wouldn't be good for the tourist or real estate industries for people to know that all of Manhattan isn't safe and gentrified.It makes everyone feel better to think that the only crime in NYC is "out there" somewhere away from where anyone has to worry about it.

Again,for anyone who hasn't seen it,here is a 2008 NYC crime map.The areas colored the darkest are the highest crime sections of the city.
http://nymag.com/docs/08/01/080114crimemaps.pdf
If you look closely you will see that EHarlem,Midtown South and Lower East Side are darker( by one shade) than anywhere in The South Bronx.

And I know the map is a few years old but really,nothing has changed much.The highest crime areas have been the same areas for a long time and probably will be for a long time.The highest crime areas trade places for the title and for 2nd,3rd,4th and 5th positions each year but they don't generally fall off the list, except over a very long period of time.

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-01-2010 at 07:52 AM..

Old 10-01-2010, 08:10 PM

244 posts, read 662,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
Wall street! Where all the wolves in sheep's clothing walk.
LOL . . they cause the most harm by far.

GREED STREET

Old 10-01-2010, 09:07 PM

33,389 posts, read 46,784,531 times
hands down the worst in nyc is brownsville.....but there are so many other neighborhoods that have pockets of high crime that its really hard to designate.

one place i really dont like walking around at night time is the 90s in brooklyn....that place is wild

another honorable mention is park hill, staten island...believe it or not some places on the north shore that look just as bad as brooklyn or the bronx.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 10-17-2010 at 05:41 AM..

Old 10-01-2010, 10:14 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 957,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
hands down the worst in nyc is brownsville.....but there are so many other neighborhoods that have pockets of high crime that its really heard to designate.

one place i really dont like walking around at night time is the 90s in brooklyn....that place is wild

another honorable mention is park hill, staten island...believe it or not some places on the north shore that look just as bad as brooklyn or the bronx.

In my opinion, there's worse on Staten Island than Parkhill. Parkhill is just the marquee "bad" neighborhood that people who rarely go deep into the North Shore fear and talk about the most (not saying this applies to you, you're from Queens so it's a different perspective), largely because supposedly it was really really live in the 80's. You see the same thing with the Jersey Street area in New Brighton. The funniest is since there's a whole population of Staten Islanders who literally only go above the expressway to go to the ferry terminal, they automatically think that the St. George/Tompkinsville area where the ferry's located is Detroit or something just because it looks like Beirut compared to their neighborhoods, lol. But those areas really aren't half as bad as several other North Shore areas.

Overall though, crime on North Staten Island is hard to trace because the crime-plagued areas on the far North Side share a precinct with the much tamer, middle-class areas directly south of them, which are just as big, so when they roll out those "_____ amount of crimes per 100,000 residents" stats, things can easily get skewed.

The basic breakdown is: Mariners Harbor, Arlington (sometimes considered a subdivision of Mariners Harbor), Port Richmond, West Brighton, New Brighton, Stapleton and Parkhill (usually considered a subdivision of Concord but nobody cares) are widely considered to be the "bad" areas.

Elm Park, St. George and Tompinsville are the ehhh, not great but not terrible areas.

And the rest of the Island is pretty much fair game other than like 4-block radiuses here and there.

At the end of the day though, with Staten Island neighborhoods being so much smaller than those in the other boroughs and with the whole precinct boundary hurdle, it's really really hard to compare and contrast our neighborhoods with the rest of the city, whether it be positively or negatively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City