Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:25 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Anyone who has traveled to other cities in the United States knows that New York City is one of the dirtiest. Oddly, it's also one of the cities with the greatest difference in economic levels.

Anyone who has traveled to Canadian cities would see the massive difference between the level of cleanliness there and in NYC. Canadian cities appear spotless.

BTW, I was in LA this past summer and it looked a lot cleaner than NYC. While there was grafitti, we saw no gum on the sidewalks, no trash in the gutters, and a marked absence of strange liquids. Even the "economically depressed" areas were cleaner.

quixotic59 you are so over NYC... LOL NYC is not for everyone and it seems is not for you. When is Bloomberg getting rid of you as a 'weak' teacher. And when are you moving out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 08:00 PM

115 posts, read 149,288 times
Quote:
Actually, we did not see that heavy haze while we were out there, although we had been warned about it. However, the weather channel mentioned that it was, on average, a cool summer for LA.
We did however walk around quite a bit, including Hollywood Boulevard, Sunset Blvd, and downtown. To be honest, the first thing that struck us was the fact that we did not see as much garbage as we see in NYC. I am referring to commercial and apartment garbage. In NYC, it is common to see either dumpsters or bags of garbage outside businesses and large apartment buildings. Not so in LA. While their pedestrian traffic may not be as dense all over, even where it is, people seem a little more aware and considerate of their environment.
Anothe city we were surprised by was Las Vegas. The only real "trash" was the proliferation of the "girly" cards on the sidewalk. Despite very heavy foot traffic on the strip, the sidewalks, and especially the streets and gutters were exceptionally clean.
Go figure
Las Vegas is the very definition trash. It's crass and disgusting.

No suprise it has by far the highest suicide rate in the United States. One of the highest unemployment rates in the United States (if not, the highest), crushing poverty, the highest foreclosure rate in the country. It's a wasteland with no economy whatsoever.

Simply put -- Las Vegas is Moderator cut: Language. Literally. For such a small city with minimal foot traffic, I was taken back by how much rubbish lined the streets.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-04-2010 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 10-05-2010, 06:24 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
quixotic59 you are so over NYC... LOL NYC is not for everyone and it seems is not for you. When is Bloomberg getting rid of you as a 'weak' teacher. And when are you moving out?
When I am good and ready. Until then, I will exercise my constitutionally guaranteed right as an American citizen to express my opinion.
Also, I will continue to practice my chosen profession as long as I choose. I have outlasted 5 chancellors, 4 mayors (soon to be 5), and an insignificant repugnant megalomaniac like Bloomberg will never have any effect on my career or my career decisions.

FYI, I am not "over" NYC, I am "over" what the users and losers have done to NYC. I have never, nor will I ever, be a follower of the masses who sit idly by as OUTSIDERS come in to OUR city and use it to entertain their sick fantasies.

As a resident of this city for over 50 years, I have seen it in its full glory and in its current state of disarray and "development" by the jackals who comprise Bloomberg's circle of associates. They, like all the others, will eventually be chewed up and spit out by this city, and maybe, some day, this city will once again become a place where its TRUE residents can feel comfortable and not like outsiders.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:35 AM

412 posts, read 1,326,751 times
Funny how Bloomberg is blamed for everything that happens in NYC from dirt, to the city being broke.

Funny how no one is blaming the politicans like Espada, and those others that messed up the city's budget by holding up the monies in Albany for weeks on end.

Funny how no one is blame the MTA for the two books they were hiding and how they are still saying that the MTA needs to get rid of all their administrators.

Funny, how no one blames the dayum people, and tourists in NY for throwing their garbage on the streets instead of in the trash receptables.

I mean dang this is NYC, what do yall want. I have no problem with Bloomberg, think he is doing a great job due to the circumstances but I guess someone has to be the bullseye huh.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:04 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
Funny how Bloomberg is blamed for everything that happens in NYC from dirt, to the city being broke.

Funny how no one is blaming the politicans like Espada, and those others that messed up the city's budget by holding up the monies in Albany for weeks on end.

Funny how no one is blame the MTA for the two books they were hiding and how they are still saying that the MTA needs to get rid of all their administrators.

Funny, how no one blames the dayum people, and tourists in NY for throwing their garbage on the streets instead of in the trash receptables.

I mean dang this is NYC, what do yall want. I have no problem with Bloomberg, think he is doing a great job due to the circumstances but I guess someone has to be the bullseye huh.

The mayor is in charge of the city. He holds the highest office in this city.

Just like a CEO of a company. You don't blame the exec's but the man in charge.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:14 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
Quote:

Normally you would be totally correct. In this case, however, whether it be the streets of NYC or its economic problems, we have a mayor that wants and claims total control. While he may not want total responsibility, it comes with the control.
You also have to understand that many of the "circumstances" unique to NYC have been brought about by Bloomberg's policies. He is blamed for what he has caused, not those things that the whole country is suffering from.
Maybe if he was less worried about lower taxes for the wealthy, higher bonuses for Wall Street, developing NYC to death, and breaking every union in the city, he might have a few minutes and a few bucks to clean the streets a little better.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
The mayor is in charge of the city. He holds the highest office in this city.

Just like a CEO of a company. You don't blame the exec's but the man in charge.
OK what you want him to do to people who refuse to get rid of their litter properly.

This is NY, with what over 8 million people living in it and more commuting in and out of it.

If you expect sparkling sidewalks, then clean them yourself.

Sheesh there's other problems to worry about then how clean NY is.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Normally you would be totally correct. In this case, however, whether it be the streets of NYC or its economic problems, we have a mayor that wants and claims total control. While he may not want total responsibility, it comes with the control.
You also have to understand that many of the "circumstances" unique to NYC have been brought about by Bloomberg's policies. He is blamed for what he has caused, not those things that the whole country is suffering from.
Maybe if he was less worried about lower taxes for the wealthy, higher bonuses for Wall Street, developing NYC to death, and breaking every union in the city, he might have a few minutes and a few bucks to clean the streets a little better.
As I stated before where is the few buck going to come from. That means cutting one program to support another.

So should he cut more kprograms in the schools to support cleaning the streets.

Or should he close more senior centers, day care centers and other centers that are suffering to stay open, come on now.

How bout all this yelling be taken up with where the money comes from ALBANY.

I hear no one yelling at them and they're the ones that gives the money to the city.

I mean sheesh, yall acting like he pocketing the monies.

I also hear no one yelling at MTA and they proposing a $104 monthly metrocard on Jan. 1. or is that the mayor's fault too?

Old 10-06-2010, 08:45 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
OK what you want him to do to people who refuse to get rid of their litter properly.

This is NY, with what over 8 million people living in it and more commuting in and out of it.

If you expect sparkling sidewalks, then clean them yourself.

Sheesh there's other problems to worry about then how clean NY is.
Thats sort of the attitude people have and that is why it stays dirty. If other things can be cleaned surely NY can.

All it takes is some effort and resources to make NY a clean city.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:47 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,239,725 times
Why do people litter? Stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City