Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:01 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times

Advertisements

Why was Flatbush the choice for West Indians during the migration wave of them during the 1970s and 80s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 08:18 AM

228 posts, read 810,037 times
Im always interested in how certain areas become places of a certain ethnic group... Why do they change etc... Why is Greenpoint (Polish) Richmond Hill (Guyanese), etc...
I really have no idea why it happens but it's an interesting topic... I guess one family moves there randomly, later the cousins moves there, than the friends, and eventually it becomes known in the home country as the area of ______...
I read an article about a village in upstate new york that was advertising in newspapers in Guyana and Guyanese neighboorhoods in NY to try and get guyanese people to move there because they believed they were hard working people...

Old 10-01-2010, 08:22 AM

412 posts, read 1,326,751 times
Most ethnic groups like to be reside around their kind.

Same for the Italians, the Asians, the Jewish etc.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:39 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscape View Post
Im always interested in how certain areas become places of a certain ethnic group... Why do they change etc... Why is Greenpoint (Polish) Richmond Hill (Guyanese), etc...
I really have no idea why it happens but it's an interesting topic... I guess one family moves there randomly, later the cousins moves there, than the friends, and eventually it becomes known in the home country as the area of ______...
I read an article about a village in upstate new york that was advertising in newspapers in Guyana and Guyanese neighboorhoods in NY to try and get guyanese people to move there because they believed they were hard working people...
Really I never heard about this.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:41 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Why was Flatbush the choice for West Indians during the migration wave of them during the 1970s and 80s?
It just does. Any other questions aks jourdounbrunel who is the west indian spokes person on this forum.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:50 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,750,236 times
At the time very low rents and very spacious pre-war -post war apartments for some large families. Also homes were extremely affordable when they wanted to move up. Now the tide is trying to change and personally I got love for Flatbush.

It also reminds me of a joke "Where and why do women in Brooklyn wear panty hose?" In and for Flatbush!

Old 10-02-2010, 12:57 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
I know it was the first stop for my father when he came here from Jamaica in 1973. He told me that he just "followed" friends and family lol

and LOL at that joke hehe

Old 10-03-2010, 10:19 AM

961 posts, read 2,463,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
At the time very low rents and very spacious pre-war -post war apartments for some large families. Also homes were extremely affordable when they wanted to move up. Now the tide is trying to change and personally I got love for Flatbush.

It also reminds me of a joke "Where and why do women in Brooklyn wear panty hose?" In and for Flatbush!
Exactly, especially considering the redlining going on in those days, of all the areas West Indians had to choose first Crown Heights then Flatbush. Coincidentally many women in my family used to work for the same Jewish families that once lived in East Flatbush in the 60's so they were familiar with it. Chain migration is a huge factor, having that network in the neighborhood when you first get to the states of where to work and live. Alot of people think these neighborhoods keep people stuck in their ways, but on the flip side it helps newcomers assimilate.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:20 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
the same reason for russians in brighton beach , dominicans in wash heights/inwood , and the same reason for indo guyanese in ozone park/richmond hill.

people come to certain areas and find a comfort spot and open shop. once that happens the word spreads.

their are people in jamaica and haiti who have never been to america but can tell you where flatbush ave is.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:22 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It just does. Any other questions aks jourdounbrunel who is the west indian spokes person on this forum.
jordandubreil*** lol, at first i was thoughtyou were getting at me but a mistake is a mistake and we all make em. but your cool bxguyanese.

and thinks for the west indian title lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City