Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 12:49 PM

24 posts, read 95,309 times

Advertisements

Recently I decided that I wanted a pursue a career as a CPS worker. Taking the social service test would be my first step towards this new and rewarding profession. As much as my educational background seems to fit the criteria to apply, I have no social service work experience and am not able to find any study guides for this test. I found a web site that gave a couple of sample questions and I can tell this is a test you must know specific information. I would be going into this blindfolded. I was curious if there are any prep classes I should be taking (if they exist)or if there are any preparation guides that I can purchase. Any information would be very helpful. Thank you so much for any type of info and insight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 04:13 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissyI View Post
Recently I decided that I wanted a pursue a career as a CPS worker. Taking the social service test would be my first step towards this new and rewarding profession. As much as my educational background seems to fit the criteria to apply, I have no social service work experience and am not able to find any study guides for this test. I found a web site that gave a couple of sample questions and I can tell this is a test you must know specific information. I would be going into this blindfolded. I was curious if there are any prep classes I should be taking (if they exist)or if there are any preparation guides that I can purchase. Any information would be very helpful. Thank you so much for any type of info and insight
It's hard to say, but most of the test appears to be learned with a "hands on" type knowledge. My advice would be to get hired, go through the 8 week training, get a field office and take the test in about a year. No reason to waste the $45 fee if you aren't sure that you can pass it. Besides you CAN get hired without the CS exam. The CS title just really ensures job security through seniority. Not sure if it's used for much else

Old 10-03-2010, 05:35 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,282 times
Quote:
This is Ironic, a few days ago I posted a question about books to prep for this test as well, I took it last Saturday. Someone gave me the name of a website to order a civil service test prep book. If you click on my profile and the threads I started it should be the most recent one. The test was strictly based on the job itself and real life scenarios, so I would suggest studying policies and roles of CPS, their rules and regualtions. Good luck to you

Old 10-04-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
It's hard to say, but most of the test appears to be learned with a "hands on" type knowledge. My advice would be to get hired, go through the 8 week training, get a field office and take the test in about a year. No reason to waste the $45 fee if you aren't sure that you can pass it. Besides you CAN get hired without the CS exam. The CS title just really ensures job security through seniority. Not sure if it's used for much else
Oh I was under the impression that you had to take the test in order to get into the field itself. I figured it was mandatory to begin. Do you have any idea as to how I would look for a entry level way to get my foot in the door?

Old 10-04-2010, 11:16 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
Quote:
Oh I was under the impression that you had to take the test in order to get into the field itself. I figured it was mandatory to begin. Do you have any idea as to how I would look for a entry level way to get my foot in the door?
Unless they changed the requirements in the past year, you can be hired as a CPS worker before certification. To become one, you just have to meet the educational requirements with transcripts, pre screening testing (this is basically testing on listening, recalling info and documentation + an interview). After they sift through and pick the people that they want, then you go through 8 weeks training, plus another test based on the training and then you're off to the field office.

After all of that you are on "probabtion" until you complete 18 months on the job. During those 18 months most people take the CS exam and become certified while working there. They will grant you up to 9 months credit towards the 18 in you are a current CPS worker.

There really isn't any trick to the hiring process since its a city job. Just meet the requirements, pass the screenings and you're in. It's tough and somewhat tedious but they are always hiring because of the high turnover rate. Just check the website, give them a call and they'll tell you when to come in and what to bring. Assuming you get through that day...they'll assign you to a field office afterwords

Old 10-04-2010, 05:39 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,282 times
BTW, if you go to 2 Lafayette street in Manhattan next wednesday to see if they have a posting for the job again. They will give you a paper which lists the requirements and when and where to take the exam.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:41 AM

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. One more thing, which website would I go to? NYC gov, CPS, or child & family service? I feel like if I go to one website and click a "contact us" link it sends me to another and so forth. I had one person reply back to me from the testing center, but I think he got confused about what I was asking and was not really much of a help.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,672 times
Default I am taking the CPS exam Soon but I can't find your thread with the info for the website, help!?

Old 06-12-2014, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,442 times
Question CPS Exam

I plan to take the exam next Friday also but i can't find back the information that was up about the exam and is there a website that as sample exam I found one but it only give 15 test
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City