Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 11:39 AM

593 posts, read 893,775 times

Advertisements

Capitalism has to have winners and losers. So, to say that if one works hard, they can always succeed is plain wrong. To me personally, for the guy who grows up in absolute poverty to finish high school is a bigger accomplishment than someone who was born rich, never had to worry about their basic needs and becomes financially successful. Everyone has to start from where they come from. If you are already at 100 at birth, then you must work hard to get to 150 or 200. If you are -1,000 at birth, getting to 0 is a pretty astonishing accomplishment.

Atsushi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 11:52 AM

442 posts, read 1,296,611 times
none of this matters because we are heading towards hyperinflation and an imminent dollar collapse

the federal reserve prints money unchecked without it being backed by anything and the dollar keeps losing value against the euro.

your better off stocking up your car with canned goods and water than worying about getting rich because this is going down sooner than youd think. if i get any non believers ill start posting up facts but im gonna assume the educated people here are on board with this

Old 10-06-2010, 02:16 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
Capitalism has to have winners and losers. So, to say that if one works hard, they can always succeed is plain wrong. To me personally, for the guy who grows up in absolute poverty to finish high school is a bigger accomplishment than someone who was born rich, never had to worry about their basic needs and becomes financially successful. Everyone has to start from where they come from. If you are already at 100 at birth, then you must work hard to get to 150 or 200. If you are -1,000 at birth, getting to 0 is a pretty astonishing accomplishment.

Atsushi
Wow that some how made so much sense.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:37 PM

17 posts, read 26,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
"everyone" is made up of individuals. By tell a bunch of single people (which is what you did, you posted on a forum) they can change their status on the economy chart is telling everyone they can do it. The only way people can all be on the same level of success that I have seen is through communism. And we've all seen how that works out. And what about the people who want to make it but can't? people try to succeed but fail all the time because the big guys on top have to keep their share. Let me ask you something. Have you been all the way at the bottom and made yourself into a super successful business man?
I already clarified myself. I said everyone has the ability to change their status. I didn't say everyone WOULD do it -- heck, some people don't want to. And as for your question about me, YES, I have. That's why I know it can be done.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:03 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntech View Post
I already clarified myself. I said everyone has the ability to change their status. I didn't say everyone WOULD do it -- heck, some people don't want to. And as for your question about me, YES, I have. That's why I know it can be done.
I agree everyone can change their status, especially the really poor who have nowhere to go but up. But the problem is in NYC, COL is so high that even what could be considered a nice career with a middle class salary still doesnt add up to a very nice, comfortable life. People who have what could be considered good carees ,i.e cop, fireman, teachers, transit workers; many of these folks still have to work overtime or a second job to get comfortably ahead
Example: if ur single in NYC makin 60k, that may leave about roughly 3500 a month after taxes. If u have a nice 1 bedroom apart in a nice area (and not a share), that could run about 1200-1500, and when u factor in possible car insurance,electricty, cable, gas, food, school loans and other possible debts, u just dont have the same disposable income u would have in other states for the same salary.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:42 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
There will always be more poor people then rich people in this country. That is a fact. America is the land of opportunity for criminals. A lot of rich people in this country got there through illegal ways. The jails are full of corrupt doctors, lawyers, bankers,etc. A lot of them out there who haven't been caught yet, just a matter of time though.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 PM

17 posts, read 26,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
There will always be more poor people then rich people in this country. That is a fact. America is the land of opportunity for criminals. A lot of rich people in this country got there through illegal ways. The jails are full of corrupt doctors, lawyers, bankers,etc. A lot of them out there who haven't been caught yet, just a matter of time though.
That's a ridiculous scarcity-minded statement. The fact is, the MAJORITY of wealth in this country was not created by criminals. You're talking about a small percentage of the population. There are millions of successful small and medium-sized business owners.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:29 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Yeah, my family

Old 10-07-2010, 07:31 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
... or company execs, sports figures, actors who make LITERALLY 1000x times an hour what the lowest paid employees in their jobs make, can take a 50% paycut, still have enough money in their accounts to live like kings if they were to live 2500 years, and allow other people to have a meager amount of cash that would make them happy.

Do you think any human being is so useful they are worth the price of One-Thousand-Other ones?

No but if we boycott, don't use their product or don't watch their game they won't make that much.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
No but if we boycott, don't use their product or don't watch their game they won't make that much.
Not entirely true- the Financial Exec. of Washington Mutual Alan Fishman worked three weeks for a company that HAD serious issues with reduction in customer and capital base, and went under.

His compensation for that time period was $19 million dollars, after the other assets of WaMu that were not traded over to Chase were seized by federal agencies.

Movie Stars whose movies tank (Jennifer Lopez), are still compensated in full for the film, the loses a studio takes are made up from films that are incredibly successful- however requiring ticket prices to constantly stay on the up to recover revenues lost.

I wholeheartedly believe local government agencies should be more proactive about pushing higher minimum wages while restricting earnings on the top- and concerned citizens should not be PRO or ANTI unions, but inquisitive about what they offer (or abuse) from their employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City