U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:41 PM

4,074 posts, read 4,432,766 times
Default Funniest/"Cutest" questions asked by tourists.

I noticed in every thread everyone says new yorkers are helpful. I always stop to help. And for some reason people always ask me fore directions. So here is my question. What's the funniest or cutest question that anyone has asked you. Here is mine

Today at the corner of 42nd and 7th a woman asked me where times square was. I replied "you're standing in it!" then she asked me "where the new year starts". I thought it was kind of sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 08:52 PM

839 posts, read 1,104,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I noticed in every thread everyone says new yorkers are helpful. I always stop to help. And for some reason people always ask me fore directions. So here is my question. What's the funniest or cutest question that anyone has asked you. Here is mine

Today at the corner of 42nd and 7th a woman asked me where times square was. I replied "you're standing in it!" then she asked me "where the new year starts". I thought it was kind of sweet.
Once I was on top of the GE building observation deck (it was called the RCA building at the time) and a tourist asked me what the "large undeveloped area" was just north of the building .. I told him and his wife "Central Park"

Old 10-07-2010, 10:35 PM

716 posts, read 1,383,613 times
"Where's the Wall Street bear?" (had to tell him, no no the bear is bad, the bull is good and it's on Broadway)

Old 10-08-2010, 06:51 AM

26,173 posts, read 18,636,607 times
Ohiogirl, I too get asked questions all the time! I don't know why, either, but if I am with a group of people and there are tourists about, I am the one they approach. It's weird, because I'm a really tall woman and you'd think they'd be intimidated. Maybe they just think I can see further.

When working downtown, the "where is the bull" question is the one I am most frequently asked, in many accents.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:51 AM

10,993 posts, read 13,984,463 times
Default you will laugh at this one

it was a warm spring day in 1993, I was walking along Broadway in Riverdale, the Bronx by W 251st street

a van full of people pulls up to me, the driver asks me where The Majestic Theater is, tells that they were lost and that they just took the "Broadway" exit coming down from Columbia County

in a way they were correct. they probably took the Taconic Pkwy to the Saw Mill River Pkwy into the H Hudson Pkwy. When they sensed they crossed the city line they took the first exit for "Broadway".

However they were 10 miles too far north on Broadway. And anyway, didn't they notice the surroundings were far too sparse? there's no billboards or theaters around here

I told them to either get back on the parkway south until they hit the 40's on the W side and make a left, or simply drive down Broadway for the @ 210 blocks until they reached W 44th street

Old 10-08-2010, 09:05 AM

971 posts, read 796,801 times
One tourist came up to me and asked if I lived in the hood, and where could she find one. I had to laugh. I mean, after she left.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:29 AM

3,947 posts, read 4,562,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
The same the happened to me. I said "All of this is Times Square." She looked very worried and said, "I told my friend I would 'meet her in Times Square.' I had no idea is was so big. I'll never find her like this."

Oh, well. That's what cell phones are for ...

Old 10-08-2010, 05:25 PM

5,263 posts, read 7,165,148 times
I saw a father point across the river from Batter Park and told his kids- "That's Brooklyn over there", and me being from Jersey and all, I walked over and said, "So where's the Brooklyn Bridge?", he looked puzzled, so I laughed and said "That's Jersey City" then he said "I though NJ was by Staten Island?"... As if he knew where Staten Island even was, let alone Brooklyn or NJ.

Nice guy though, I hope he got a map.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:56 PM

4,074 posts, read 4,432,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I saw a father point across the river from Batter Park and told his kids- "That's Brooklyn over there", and me being from Jersey and all, I walked over and said, "So where's the Brooklyn Bridge?", he looked puzzled, so I laughed and said "That's Jersey City" then he said "I though NJ was by Staten Island?"... As if he knew where Staten Island even was, let alone Brooklyn or NJ.

Nice guy though, I hope he got a map.
That reminds me of the time my sister asked me "how the subway knows where we want to go". I had to explain to her the idea of different subway lines. She's never taken public transit if you couldn't tell.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:13 PM

26,173 posts, read 18,636,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
One tourist came up to me and asked if I lived in the hood, and where could she find one. I had to laugh. I mean, after she left.
So...where did you send her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City