Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 04:12 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I would take a longer commute over a crappy home any day. Where I live is more important than the drive to suuport that lifestyle.
I'm with you. My commute is just short of two hours each way (coming from Monmouth County, NJ). Before I moved here this past year it was only an hour and 20 (coming from Bergen County, NJ).

I considered Jersey City for the short commute, but it would be more expensive to live somewhere decent, and I'd still be in Jersey City.

The commute flies by because I read most of the way, and I don't have to feel guilty about reading instead of doing something else because I really can't do anything else!

But it's worth it as you point out--at the end of the day I go back to peaceful surroundings and the ocean and the woods are both very short drives from my home, which is important to me.

It all depends on what you want most. My two top choices would be live near the sea, or live in Manhattan, and I can't afford Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I used to travel 2 hours both ways, way back in the day. I don't care how nice the neighborhood is, that is wasting an extra 2 hours of my life everyday.

But now for the last 19 years I only travel 15 minutes by car, and I am a happy camper. I would never do anything over an hour, if I had to.........

Old 10-12-2010, 02:38 PM

43 posts, read 82,949 times
I live in Bushwick, Brooklyn and work in Chelsea in Manhattan. It takes me about 45 minutes, sometimes less, to get to work. If the subways and buses worked the way they were supposed to (quickly and efficiently instead of slow and time wasting) I could get to work and home even faster. But that's in my dreams.

I prefer a short commute so that I can have a good amount of time to spend at home after work.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:57 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
50 minutes from rockaway to lower manhattan.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-12-2010, 09:38 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
50 minutes from rockaway to lower manhattan.
I obviously can't physically see u every morning but 50 minutes just doesnt sound right. When I was going from Far Rock at the b25 station to lower Manhatten -Door to door- it was a miserable hour and a half. It took one hour just to get from Lower Manhatten to to Rockaway Avenue in Ozone park. When I finally moved out of Far Rockaway, I felt bad that my mother still had that horrid commute.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:46 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I obviously can't physically see u every morning but 50 minutes just doesnt sound right. When I was going from Far Rock at the b25 station to lower Manhatten -Door to door- it was a miserable hour and a half. It took one hour just to get from Lower Manhatten to to Rockaway Avenue in Ozone park. When I finally moved out of Far Rockaway, I felt bad that my mother still had that horrid commute.
i do it every day. no reason to lie. if i catch the 6:47 train at beach 60th, im at chambers street at 7:38, if there are no delays.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-13-2010, 09:09 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
1.5 to 2 hours to get where I'm going, within the same borough (Queens), all by bus (no other option).

You get used to this double "flight to Florida" but it does wear you out.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:56 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
1.5 to 2 hours to get where I'm going, within the same borough (Queens), all by bus (no other option).

You get used to this double "flight to Florida" but it does wear you out.
Haha on the flight-to-Florida reference, so true. You are right, it does wear one out, but my choices were pretty limited. I could continue to pay high rent and have a commute that was 30 - 40 minutes shorter or I could buy a place and have a longer commute. I have fewer than four years before I can retire (if all goes as I plan, and we know how that works but I have to think this way) so I figure I can stick it out. Meanwhile, all the time when I was working full-time and raising a kid I wished I had more time to read, and now I do, so that's how I spend my commute.

It's really more like three years, five months to go...

Old 10-13-2010, 02:07 PM

917 posts, read 2,948,104 times
Well, it's a 5 minute subway ride or a 25 minute walk on a nice day and I couldn't be happier.

My fiance used to commute in from Rockland County every day (about an hour and a half between getting into the city and getting to his office) and now he commutes 20 minutes to the city and definitely prefers that. He never minded coming home at night, but having to leave his home by 6:20 in the morning was killer for him.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:07 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
My commute is about 8 minutes from Jersey City to the West Village. It's pretty sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City