U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-14-2010, 06:12 AM

10 posts, read 7,149 times
Default IT market in NYC

HI All

I am interested in making the move to NYC in the near future. Can anybody tell me how the IT market is there? Are there any jobs available?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 11:59 AM

94 posts, read 432,885 times
The IT job market is very strong, especially in the financial industry with it being on the rebound. Experience is key as it has always been. If you are entry level it will be hard to get your foot in the door. And don't waste your time with certifications unless they are extremely specialized.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:10 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,563,706 times
After Silicon valley area, NY metro area has the 2nd highest concentration of IT. I believe nickname is Silicon alley, not sure if people call that anymore. Another case in point, Google's second biggest office is NYC.

Entry lvl IT jobs in NYC are tough and most of time really entry lvl without much future. There's always opening for experienced developers here but many openings are for contract positions.

That said outside NYC there are pretty healthy amount of IT opportunities as well. There's another big finance scene in CT so they hire lot over there and big pharma scene in NJ.

Once again though, most are looking for experienced...

Old 10-15-2010, 07:38 PM

244 posts, read 378,880 times
What do you do? Programming? Networking?

Quote:
And don't waste your time with certifications
I don't know about that. I get called in for an interview on pretty much every resume I send.
And I'm sure it's because of those things a little bit.But I have 3 Microsoft titles and most don't.
But I don't always get an offer after an interview.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:54 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,122,733 times
i work in IT as a software developer at a big investment bank. the market here in NYC is def very strong for talented developers. also lots of contracting opportunities are available.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:08 AM

10 posts, read 12,149 times
I am wondering the same thing as the poster ... I am an experienced IT professional working for a major financial firm in Charlotte, NC and would like to make the move to NYC. Is it more difficult for someone without a NYC address to even be considered for a NYC, IT job? I have experience working in technologies that range from mainframe to Microsoft .NET (web and winforms). How does one break the "geographical barrier" and enter the NYC IT job scene?

Old 10-18-2010, 04:28 PM

263 posts, read 441,424 times
What I don't understand is how to you get experience if all employers want experience people?????

Old 10-19-2010, 12:50 AM

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your replies. As I can see, the market is more "financially" based, so that would require windows dev more than web I guess.

Well for me clt_man1, its much more difficult than your situation. I have 11 years experience in IT, mainly contracting, but I am in Europe, and unless I get a sponsored visa, I cannot make the move. I beleive its quite hard to convince an employer to spend X amount of dollars on someone who is in Europe, when he has a very good choice in the US already.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 AM

17 posts, read 21,760 times
Evian, this might sound a bit crazy, ever thought about going to afghanistan as an field support engineer? salary ranges from 200,000k on up..I know plenty of people who took the gig, minimum i've seen was $230,000 a year.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:02 PM

Im assuming your comment was very sarcastic Andrew. I would not be here if I wanted to go to Afghanistan. If its so tempting, why don't you make the move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City