U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-19-2010, 07:15 PM

543 posts, read 523,829 times
I'd like to know if you can use a regular metro card to pay the $5 fare for the JFK air train? I went thru there last week and I noticed that the machine you insert your metro card into (for air train) spits it back out - even if the card is depleted. I thought it would keep the card if it was depleted.

Conversely, can you use an airtrain branded metro card on the subway and just continue filling it up until it expires. The only difference I can see is the air train logo on the back.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 07:44 PM

326 posts, read 410,880 times
For me the key to understanding the subway was understanding the white dots versus the black dots (ie local versus express). I have the subway map loaded on my phone along with the Hopstop app so I am constantly consulting it on which trains I need to take. I also try to be discrete as I do not want to advertise I have a smart phone and make myself a target! I do admit that when I visited NYC for the first time I was pretty much following my buddy who knew the ropes. The subway map seemed like one confusing mess. It's pretty simple though once you understand it. Though weekend schedules do throw things off a bit.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:03 AM

40,060 posts, read 18,934,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I'd like to know if you can use a regular metro card to pay the $5 fare for the JFK air train?
Since Air Train is not owned or operated by MTA (it's part of Port Authority), I think you can probably guess the answer to that question.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:52 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,206,848 times
Quote:
I'd like to know if you can use a regular metro card to pay the $5 fare for the JFK air train? I went thru there last week and I noticed that the machine you insert your metro card into (for air train) spits it back out - even if the card is depleted. I thought it would keep the card if it was depleted.

Conversely, can you use an airtrain branded metro card on the subway and just continue filling it up until it expires. The only difference I can see is the air train logo on the back.
Yes, you can. But not an unlimited card, it has to be a pay-per-ride. As for filling the AirTrain branded card? I know I had one for awhile, but I can't remember if I was able to refill it.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:26 PM

431 posts, read 571,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
This is funny, especially about asking other passengers for directions. It's such a huge system that even lifelong New Yorkers don't know it inside out.

I'll say that I felt a pretty big burst of pride and a sense of "arriving" when I gave some out-of-towners the correct directions how to get somewhere.
I also gave proper directions to tourists, which I find amusing since I have never lived in New York City and have spent a total of about a week inside the actual city limits in my entire life. But I'm also kind of a geography/map geek. :\

Old 11-21-2010, 06:01 AM

91 posts, read 177,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post

Stand on street you want (Broadway), look in the direction you want to go (north, aka, uptown) the station entrance you want will be on the right side of the street. Similarly, local trains use the right track and express train use the left track.
thank you for that. I'm not going to admit how long I've been in the city and didn't know this.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:09 AM

HopStop app for your smart phone is essential. You put in your destination (it uses location based service - so it knows where you are via - 'current location') and best of all - it keeps up with line outages and changes - I never leave home without checking HopStop especially on the weekends.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:18 AM

Yeah, the booth workers - Insolent at best. I've found they won't turn on the speaker thing so you're left with hand signals. What's up with that? Are they so secure in their jobs that they can act like that? Excuse me, am I disturbing you?? Can you please combine these two cards for me. Monosyllabic responses on directions.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:16 AM

543 posts, read 523,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
Yes, you can. But not an unlimited card, it has to be a pay-per-ride. As for filling the AirTrain branded card? I know I had one for awhile, but I can't remember if I was able to refill it.
Thanx for the reply I suspected that was true, but never tried it. I found a JFK air train pamplet\map in my luggage and on the back it actually says "air train costs $5 with a pay per ride metro card as you enter or exit the system at Jamaica or Howard Beach stations."

I threw away my air train branded metro cards, so I won't be able to test if they can be refilled.

On the subject or air train and getting to JFK. If you are starting from uptown or points north (Conn for example) it recommends taking the A train from 125th street. That's crazy as that would be about a 90 min ride. Starting from Grand Central is a much better choice, but the MTA doesn't publicize that route in their pamphlet.

You can take the #7 train from GCT to 61st street, catch LIRR to Jamaica station, then connect with air train. That would be 50 mins at best if you don't wait for the trains. I'm an infrequent user of the subway system, but when I looked at a map, I noticed that route immediately. There must be a reason why MTA doesn't suggest that route.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:20 PM

40,060 posts, read 18,934,629 times
Quote:
On the subject or air train and getting to JFK. If you are starting from uptown or points north (Conn for example) it recommends taking the A train from 125th street. That's crazy as that would be about a 90 min ride. Starting from Grand Central is a much better choice, but the MTA doesn't publicize that route in their pamphlet.
Another thing MTA doesn't publicize (because Port Authority, which owns and operates Air Train, doesn't want them to) is that you could actually take the A train that goes to Lefferts Boulevard rather than the Rockaway Branch, and right downstairs from the Lefferts Boulevard terminal, use your MetroCard to make a free transfer to the Q10 bus, which makes the same circle around the airport as the Air Train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City